News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Pruning the forums or keep them the same

Farted by Kodiakclock, November 23, 2011, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prune

es
14 (100%)
o
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

TelephoneClock

Everything should just be under one massive forum titled "Forum." It's genius!

AbsintheClock

Here's what I propose:

The Frogbag - (Spam, general, everything that isn't on this list)
Flash Stuff- Everything flash including competitions and events.
The Arts- Combine pokemon, art, music creation, writing, anything creative.
The Bureaucrat: Bugs, Feedback, policy, nomination, and initiative.
Entertainment: Talk about your stamp collection, or your favorite hockey team. Go B's!
The Goldmine: Keep it
Gas Chamber: Keep it.

Everything else we can slash and gas. Everyone can still talk about the same stuff, but this format will make things a little less confusing and processed.

Kodiakclock

Quote from: AbsintheClock;1876694Here's what I propose:

The Frogbag - (Spam, general, everything that isn't on this list)
Flash Stuff- Everything flash including competitions and events.
The Arts- Combine pokemon, art, music creation, writing, anything creative.
The Bureaucrat: Bugs, Feedback, policy, nomination, and initiative.
Entertainment: Talk about your stamp collection, or your favorite hockey team. Go B's!
The Goldmine: Keep it
Gas Chamber: Keep it.

Everything else we can slash and gas. Everyone can still talk about the same stuff, but this format will make things a little less confusing and processed.
I think this is perfect but id combine flash and arts. other than that this is flawless and exactly how we should do it.
Quote from: YoYoClock;1903849
KodiakClock - Super Butt

clockradioclock

Quote from: Kodiakclock;1876731I think this is perfect but id combine flash and arts. other than that this is flawless and exactly how we should do it.

We're supposed to be a flash group. Combining flash and arts would trivialize movies made by others. We should obviously be flash-centric (although we aren't, what with our lack of flash production but w/e this has always been a problem) and at least part of the forum should be visibly devoted to it.
[SIGPIC]dance with me[/SIGPIC]

Topcatyo

Quote from: SatelliteClock;1876586Don't forget showcase
Duly noted and added

patriotclock

Forum is fine as it is. Everything is segregated and I like it that way. My sports are away from your anime and vice versa and thats how it should stay.

AmberArachnidClock

Quote from: clammo;1876855post

that being said, I still think that the threads could be at least a tad reordered and consolidated and we can still keep the sports thread as it's own thing.

At the moment the structure of the threads feels very arbitrary. We have a mix of original work and discussion threads in each section that feel like they were arbitrarily divided by how relevant they are to the community. I mean what is general, policy, and bugs reports doing mixed in with pokemon battle arena and flash help? And why the hell is flash help called 'flash help'?

I think a less arbitrary way to divide the CC's forums would be to separate them into two groups: discussion and original work. In original work you'd have Showcase, Flash WIP (that's what I'd rename Flash Help), Creative Arts (which would include music and writing), Competition & Events, Pokemon Arena, and CC Radio. In discussion you'd have all the discussion threads that we have. You could also have a site discussion section with policy and bug reports. Keep the archives and spam forum the same.

At least just do some organization, please, at the moment there seems to be very little reason for the organization of the forums.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: PatriotClock;1876851Forum is fine as it is. Everything is segregated and I like it that way. My sports are away from your anime and vice versa and thats how it should stay.

Its time we combine our forums and take over the cc. Only together can we achieve greatness. Imagine what we could do by having both fantasy football and anime fanfiction in the SAME FORUM.

Imagine the possibilities!

AmberArachnidClock

Quote from: RibsClock;1876893That's actually a pretty good classification.

Here's the thing: some of the things are ordered in more of a priority-based way of thinking (like putting flash and general at the top) and I'm actually okay with that. Or am I missing the point?

Well you can organize based on "priority", but because that's a relative value, a newcomer to the site, or even someone who's looked at the forums forever won't be able to intuitively navigate the boards. It also makes the line breaks between categories feel arbitrary because it's really the only thing you're organizing by.

There are ways that you can give forums priority in a categorized layout. Making a forum at the top of it's own category draws the eye to it. At the moment, the "Gaming" forum looks more important than the "Showcase" forum, because Showcase is drowned in other forums that aren't necessarily related to it. You can also de-emphasize categories by making them smaller. I've made two example forum layouts that organize first by the type of forum it is, and second by priority to show you what I mean.

[B]Clock Crew[/B]
[LIST]
[*]General Discussion
[*]ng bbs
[*]Bugs
[*]Policies
[/LIST]
[B]The Workshop[/B]
[list]
[*]Showcase
[*]Flash WIP (or at least any other name than "Flash Help")
[*]Creative Arts (expand this to include original music, non flash movies, and writing)
[*]Competitions & Events
[*]Pokemon Battle Arena
[*]CC Radio
[/list]
[B]Discussion[/B]
[list] (condense these if needed)
[*]Debate
[*]Gaming
[*]TV & Movies
[*]Music
[*]Sports
[*]Anime
[*]Cooking
[*]Writing
[/list]
[B]Archives[/B] (same)
[B]Spam[/B] (same)

[B]The Workshop[/B]
[list]
[*]Showcase
[*]Flash WIP (or at least any other name than "Flash Help")
[*]Creative Arts (expand this to include original music, non flash movies, and writing)
[*]Competitions & Events
[*]Pokemon Battle Arena
[*]CC Radio
[/list]
[B]Discussion[/B]
[list] (condense these if needed)
[*]General
[*]Debate
[*]Gaming
[*]TV & Movies
[*]Music
[*]Sports
[*]Anime
[*]Cooking
[*]Writing
[/list]
[B]The Site[/B]
[LIST]
[*]ng bbs
[*]Bugs
[*]Policies
[/LIST]
[B]Archives[/B] (same)
[B]Spam[/B] (same)

Now I'm gonna get in depth in the psychology of my forum layouts (this might quite possibly be self-indulgent). In my first example, General Discussion is given importance because it's at the top. "Bugs" and "Policies" might seem like they're getting unnecessary importance by being placed so high, but they are high because a user must be able to find those when they want to, and they are at the bottom of their list so they're given less importance.

Then we come to the Workshop. It might seem strange starting this after four seemingly less important threads, but because this is a much larger category than the first, and because it starts after a big line break, it is given a lot of importance. The first category acts as an introduction, and the workshop is where the real meat is. Showcase is at the top because our finished work is the most important to a casual viewer. Flash WIP is next and is given equal value to Showcase despite being lower on the list because [1]more people post in it and [2]It is still higher than four other forums in the category.

Then comes Creative Arts. It is shoe-horned in between two flash-related forums, but I put it there because C&E is more discussion based. Creative Arts, Showcase, and Flash WIP threads tend to have one piece of art with a roll of comments coming afterward, whereas C&E and PokeBattle Arena often begin with instructions and follow with a mix of discussion and art posts. CC Radio is at the end because it is probably the most discussion based, and with all "artwork" being a link to the radio station with text describing the program.

Then you have the discussion topics. Debate is at the top because it is the most non-specific and kind of the odd one out. Then it basically goes by activity, give-or-take. The archives and spam are good as they are.

In my second example I switched it up a little to give Showcase and Flash WIP more prominence than General Discussion. This suffers a little from the bloated-forum syndrome we have now. They eyes (mine at least) like to have a little appetizer category before all the big ones, so they aren't overwhelmed.

Congrats if you made it through this whole post about forum aesthetics.

Kodiakclock

Quote from: clockradioclock;1876734We're supposed to be a flash group. Combining flash and arts would trivialize movies made by others. We should obviously be flash-centric (although we aren't, what with our lack of flash production but w/e this has always been a problem) and at least part of the forum should be visibly devoted to it.

KodiakClock - Super Butt

miracle fruit

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I'd like to adress the worry that sports discussion will disappear if there isnt a sports forum. Before we had an anime forum and just used a megathread there was actually more anime discussion than with a dedicated forum. Though with sports I think there should be a megathread for each individual popular sport instead of just a single sports thread.

Though honestly I dont mind either way if we have a ton of forums or just a few. If the majority wants individual forums for every little thing or just big general forums I'm fine with either.

YoYoClock

I think every forum should be consolidated into one forum called leisure. Except flash which will be called work harder you fat cunt

by Thor + Satellite

Quote from: pop-tart clock;1905428I think yoyo is the best one.

Topcatyo

Quote from: YoYoClock;1877175I think every forum should be consolidated into one forum called leisure. Except flash which will be called work harder you fat cunt
Flash
Lesser Arts (any arts that aren't flash)
Pointless Yabber (everything else)

miracle fruit

i think these forums have worked just fine since 2005 so fuck right off

Kodiakclock

KodiakClock - Super Butt

Kodiakclock

KodiakClock - Super Butt

miracle fruit

Quote from: Kodiakclock;1878139so uh are we gonna do this or what?

no we arent

AlbinoClock

There is no legitimate reason to get rid of anything, so no.