Author Topic: steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year  (Read 1241 times)

Thor

  • Accept no substitutes!
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 5392
  • Clock Day 2018 Participant Only the most beautiful butts shall be decorated with this honor Clock Day 2017 Participant For excellence in the field of excellence Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant For having submitted at least 100 animations Clock Day 2012 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
http://vglens.com/2013/01/steambox-is-linux-based-and-launching-this-year/

It will probably fail. Why would anybody want a steam box when they could just have a gaming PC?
Quote from: MafiaMettaur
What the hell is with that shit you posted? You know what, I'm joining the Locks, just to stop stuff like you!

ScrewdriverClock

  • <FONT COLOR=\
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 2243
  • Girl Status: Girl
  • For excellence in the field of excellence For winning flash of the month Clock Day 2006 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations For Creating at least one movie for the flash flood. (If you only made one you probably don't deserve this)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
Quote from: Thor;1936052
http://vglens.com/2013/01/steambox-is-linux-based-and-launching-this-year/

It will probably fail. Why would anybody want a steam box when they could just have a gaming PC?

 
I'll start this with this is old news Thor.

OLD. HOW COULD YOU BE SO LATE.

And secondly, you have to factor in a few things. Typical PC manufacturers have to purchase parts, and purchase the OS. They lower the cost of OS slightly by adding bloatware, and then sell it onto the consumer. Considering the lack of liscensing fees for Ubuntu, they can use that as a base, then modify the steam program to automatically open up to the big picture mode on boot. Running a barebones linux OS that uses xORG solely for Steam would likely boot in a few seconds (2-5) and would provide a standard level of power that would be on par with their work and encourage others to meet to it (My guess is a i5 processor with an Nvidia card or two) to power through a generation or two of gaming. Given the supposed close proximity to a new source engine, I could see the "STEAMBOX" as being a "bar" set to let pc game studios know what they're setting the bar at. Given the popularity of Steam, I could see more games being made to that standard.

And we can also consider the idea that they take the alternate route of "steam OS" being liscensed to 3rd party manufacturers ala windows phone. Set a base requirement list to what it means to be a SteamBox, and then these companies can release their own gaming computers without Windows, charge less and gain a higher profit margin on each unit.

No, I could see steam boxes being quite popular Thor.

pop-tart

  • Administrator
  • Posts: 8518
    • Newgrounds: pop-tart
  • Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant For excellence in the field of excellence Participation in Fifen This Movie For winning flash of the month Turn Back The Clock Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Pass The Cash Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant For having submitted at least 100 animations For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood
    • View Profile
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
It'll be as big as WebTV!

SoBe Clock

  • So juicy...
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 3221
    • View Profile
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »
Quote from: ScrewdriverClock;1936062
I'll start this with this is old news Thor.

OLD. HOW COULD YOU BE SO LATE.

And secondly, you have to factor in a few things. Typical PC manufacturers have to purchase parts, and purchase the OS. They lower the cost of OS slightly by adding bloatware, and then sell it onto the consumer. Considering the lack of liscensing fees for Ubuntu, they can use that as a base, then modify the steam program to automatically open up to the big picture mode on boot. Running a barebones linux OS that uses xORG solely for Steam would likely boot in a few seconds (2-5) and would provide a standard level of power that would be on par with their work and encourage others to meet to it (My guess is a i5 processor with an Nvidia card or two) to power through a generation or two of gaming. Given the supposed close proximity to a new source engine, I could see the "STEAMBOX" as being a "bar" set to let pc game studios know what they're setting the bar at. Given the popularity of Steam, I could see more games being made to that standard.

And we can also consider the idea that they take the alternate route of "steam OS" being liscensed to 3rd party manufacturers ala windows phone. Set a base requirement list to what it means to be a SteamBox, and then these companies can release their own gaming computers without Windows, charge less and gain a higher profit margin on each unit.

No, I could see steam boxes being quite popular Thor.

 
:this: Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's not a guaranteed success by any means, but there's a lot of potential behind the idea.

AnkhClock

  • Anchovy
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 3599
  • DUCE! DUCE! DUCE!
    • Newgrounds: ankhclock
  • Clock Day 2016 Participant Only the most beautiful butts shall be decorated with this honor For excellence in the field of excellence For winning flash of the month Turn Back The Clock Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Pass The Cash Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Clock Day 2006 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant For having submitted at least 25 animations
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/ammat
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 03:37:20 PM »
Quote from: Thor;1936052

It will probably fail. Why would anybody want a steam box when they could just have a gaming PC?

 




pop-tart

  • Administrator
  • Posts: 8518
    • Newgrounds: pop-tart
  • Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant For excellence in the field of excellence Participation in Fifen This Movie For winning flash of the month Turn Back The Clock Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Pass The Cash Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant For having submitted at least 100 animations For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood
    • View Profile
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 04:36:09 PM »
I think Thor's main point is that many gamers will turn their noses up at it. They have to do a damn good job marketing it... so it doesn't become poser fodder.

RobClock

  • ееее DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF ееее
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 7486
  • Popsts: 0
    • Newgrounds: RobertClock
  • Clock Day 2018 Participant For excellence in the field of excellence Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant Only the most beautiful butts shall be decorated with this honor Participation in Fifen This Movie For winning flash of the month Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Participation in the Clockoween Flash Event Pass The Cash Participant Participated in Squirrel Day 2013 Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant For having submitted at least 100 animations For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kaijuturtle.com
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »
Quote from: pop-tart;1936067
I think Thor's main point is that many gamers will turn their noses up at it. They have to do a damn good job marketing it... so it doesn't become poser fodder.

 
Half-Life 2: Episode 3, Exclusively for Valve's Steambox!

PhantomCatClock

  • ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 5062
  • Ghosts: 1
    • Newgrounds: PhantomCat
  • For winning flash of the month For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations Participation in Fifen This Movie Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 06:51:35 PM »
Quote from: RobClock;1936068
Half-Life 2: Episode 3, Exclusively for Valve's Steambox!

 
Don't even joke about that unless they've announced it's only going to be $50 or something

Thor

  • Accept no substitutes!
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 5392
  • Clock Day 2018 Participant Only the most beautiful butts shall be decorated with this honor Clock Day 2017 Participant For excellence in the field of excellence Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant For having submitted at least 100 animations Clock Day 2012 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
I know that rumors about steam box have been flying around for a long time, but this is the first really solid proof I've seen that it will actually be released. Previously there have just been speculation based on valve hiring hardware engineers.


Plus there isn't a thread about it yet so EAT IT
Quote from: MafiaMettaur
What the hell is with that shit you posted? You know what, I'm joining the Locks, just to stop stuff like you!

ScrewdriverClock

  • <FONT COLOR=\
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 2243
  • Girl Status: Girl
  • For excellence in the field of excellence For winning flash of the month Clock Day 2006 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations For Creating at least one movie for the flash flood. (If you only made one you probably don't deserve this)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
Quote from: Thor;1936084
I know that rumors about steam box have been flying around for a long time, but this is the first really solid proof I've seen that it will actually be released. Previously there have just been speculation based on valve hiring hardware engineers.


Plus there isn't a thread about it yet so EAT IT

 
I was referring to this article.

And to what others say, I will just reiterate that it will likely be a low price, mid to low-high end computer, stripped of unnecessary bulk and likely a locked bootloader, so it makes the most of its hardware. Sure you can build your own thats much more powerful, but for the average gamer on a budget, I could see this going well. Maybe they can go the route Google did with their Nexus 7 tablet, sell it at parts value and then make profit off of the Steam purchases. Or include a steam giftcard with each computer to entice using the store.

miracle fruit

  • Global Moderator
  • Posts: 6895
  • CCs: 15224
    • Newgrounds: MiracleFruitClock
  • For excellence in the field of excellence Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Good popstin, bro. Props Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations
    • View Profile
    • http://miraclefruitclock.newgrounds.com/flash/
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
can you play with PC users while on steambox or will it have its own network



SoBe Clock

  • So juicy...
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 3221
    • View Profile
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
Quote from: MiracleFruitClock;1936090
can you play with PC users while on steambox or will it have its own network

Valve has been very keen on integrating all their users for years now. PC/Mac cross compatibility is something they've done with their games for quite some time and they've even integrated PS3 players of Portal 2 to steam so they can play with PC/Mac users.

I'd assume since the steambox is obviously running steam, Valve will make sure it's fully integrated with the current steam clients available for PC/Mac/PS3/Mobile.

As for whether or not the games will support cross platform play, that's an issue for the developer. Most games that comes out these days with a mac/linux version and multiplayer supports PC cross platform play so I'd doubt it will be an issue.

AstronautClock

  • hodor
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 6203
  • For excellence in the field of excellence Turn Back The Clock Participant Good popstin, bro. Props Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
Quote from: Thor;1936052
http://vglens.com/2013/01/steambox-is-linux-based-and-launching-this-year/

It will probably fail. Why would anybody want a steam box when they could just have a gaming PC?

 
exclusives is what makes consoles work sooo.

I'm pretty excited for this myself

ScrewdriverClock

  • <FONT COLOR=\
  • Official Clock
  • Posts: 2243
  • Girl Status: Girl
  • For excellence in the field of excellence For winning flash of the month Clock Day 2006 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations For Creating at least one movie for the flash flood. (If you only made one you probably don't deserve this)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: steam box confirmed, will be Linux based, more info coming this year
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 11:21:46 PM »
In retrospect I was pretty naive