News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

3D Technique Question

Farted by PhantomCatClock, April 06, 2014, 05:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomCatClock

Because hopefully this is a universal thing and not just a problem because I'm an idiot who uses Blender.

SO, say I start with a normal boring mesh cube. I cut a shape into it with the knife divider, select my new tiny face and extrude it, pulling it into the cube and out the other side.

Oh yeah, that's beautiful.

The result is, from one side, the exact shape I wanted. A cube with a notch in it.

Huh, that wasn't so hard.

HOWEVER, there's still the question of that opposite face not having the hole in it. It's a solid square.

Suboptimal.

Is there a way to tell that face to cut itself where it's being intersected? Or maybe have the knife cut two faces at once? I've tried Googling for way too long, but I think my problem is I don't know enough about 3D whatsits to know what buzzwords to use. You'd be ashamed of me if you knew how long it took me to get this far. Thanks in advance to whoever answers (and everyone else can sit on a tack.)

(to clarify, I want to kill that spot with the orange circle on it in the last picture, but not the whole face. How to cut other face.)

BilliardBall10

excellent work! will you do a 3-d clock-movie with all that knowledge? i would love to watch that.

also, your best bet in 3-d help is renegade clock, i will contact him, and we will see.

k -i raise dragons. here we go -click HERE- i mean click the eggs -and the dragons, until they become  adults.

RenegadeClock

Cut edges into one face with the knife tool.

Push the edges in to make the notch.

Select the edges on the end and extrude.

While the edges are still selected press "f" to make a new face.

BilliardBall10

k -i raise dragons. here we go -click HERE- i mean click the eggs -and the dragons, until they become  adults.

PhantomCatClock

Haha, I was trying to get RID of the extra face. Your first two steps are what I needed. 10/10 <3 Though that does only help with actual notches, I was hoping for an improvement on my way so I could make similar-looking holes. I might have somethin' though...

PhantomCatClock

Aaaaand nevermind, I can't make holes with faces on the inside going through that way. Operation Renegade Notches is go.

edit: wait no I got it once again renegade saves the day

Sinister Clock

Never use booleans for modelling. It results in terrible topology. I try to make sure I only ever have quads in my mesh by the end.