News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

What causes a flash to go out of sync?

Farted by MelloYelloClock, October 20, 2014, 11:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MelloYelloClock

I'm currently working on a flash movie and I'm experiencing latency with the sound(s) in it. What could be the possible causes for out-of-sync sounds? The first 3-4 minutes seem to be fine, it's only until the later (4+ minutes) they seem to go out of sync. Any help is appreciated. Oh, and I use Flash CS3 for reference.
NEW FLASH -> KING OF THE PORTAL 2

:this: CLICK THIS

patriotclock

this randomly happens to me a lot. a fix (discovered by poly) is to have a blank sound clip, maybe like 30 seconds long and have that play at times when no actual sound is playing. flash cant get your sounds out of sync if it thinks its playing a sound 100% of the time if that makes sense.

tldr: playing a blank sound file in between actual sounds should fix the issue. make sure something is playing for the duration of your flash

PhantomCatClock

I heard through extensive googling that never actually lead to a solution (because I never tried fixing my old FLAs) that it's caused by having a lot of tweens on the main timeline (or at least the same timeline as the sound). Keeping your sound in place so you can sync things up in the IDE and then removing that and putting it into a blank movieClip with the sound playing for the whole flash iiiiis... one possible solution that I never actually set up an experiment for (mostly because this problem magically stopped happening to me)

PirateClock

You are sitting to far from your screen. Sound travels slower than light. So you see before you hear. Easy mistake to make, try moving a mile orso closer to the screen.

You are welcome.
_pirate_butchcavities (20:29:15): FUCK CLOCKS _pirate_

pop-tart

Quote from: PirateClock;1977361You are sitting to far from your screen. Sound travels slower than light. So you see before you hear. Easy mistake to make, try moving a mile orso closer to the screen.

You are welcome.

pop-tart

Both P-Cat's and Patriot's (Poly's) solutions work.

I used to do the "inserting into a movie clip" thing but if you have a lot of files.... the blank sound clip is a lot less hassle.

I just edit all my sounds into one file nowadays... since I like music or wind or birds or something eating up the silence anyway.

BilliardBall10

i have that problem as well, but only if i add too many parts with voices/sounds.

ankh told me to always add the sound files into a movieclip, if that makes sense...

is this a good method for this problem?

k -i raise dragons. here we go -click HERE- i mean click the eggs -and the dragons, until they become  adults.

MelloYelloClock

Quote from: PatriotClock;1977354this randomly happens to me a lot. a fix (discovered by poly) is to have a blank sound clip, maybe like 30 seconds long and have that play at times when no actual sound is playing. flash cant get your sounds out of sync if it thinks its playing a sound 100% of the time if that makes sense.

tldr: playing a blank sound file in between actual sounds should fix the issue. make sure something is playing for the duration of your flash

Thanks Patriot, I just tried this. But it's still happening.

Quote from: PhantomCatClock;1977358I heard through extensive googling that never actually lead to a solution (because I never tried fixing my old FLAs) that it's caused by having a lot of tweens on the main timeline (or at least the same timeline as the sound). Keeping your sound in place so you can sync things up in the IDE and then removing that and putting it into a blank movieClip with the sound playing for the whole flash iiiiis... one possible solution that I never actually set up an experiment for (mostly because this problem magically stopped happening to me)

I am up to about 7000+ frames in my single timeline. Would separating them into different scenes help?

Quote from: PirateClock;1977361You are sitting to far from your screen. Sound travels slower than light. So you see before you hear. Easy mistake to make, try moving a mile orso closer to the screen.

You are welcome.
I like you. Yous a funny guy :)

Quote from: pop-tart;1977368Both P-Cat's and Patriot's (Poly's) solutions work.

I used to do the "inserting into a movie clip" thing but if you have a lot of files.... the blank sound clip is a lot less hassle.

I just edit all my sounds into one file nowadays... since I like music or wind or birds or something eating up the silence anyway.

I might try to just record everything into one file via audacity and try that. But I'm really not sure, I can't tell if its the tweens or the wav's and mp3's within the flash.

patriotclock

do you have the sounds all on the same layer? If so there shouldn't be a single frame of that layer without something playing. Sounds set to stream?

miracle fruit

instead of putting 30 second silence clips between your sounds like a numpty why not make a 10 minute silence clip and play it throughout the entire movie

patriotclock

Quote from: olskoo;1977377instead of putting 30 second silence clips between your sounds like a numpty why not make a 10 minute silence clip and play it throughout the entire movie

then it would have to be on a diff layer than the rest of the sounds. would that keep the other layer from desyncing?

miracle fruit

i dont think it matters

i havent had this problem in years so i cant test

MelloYelloClock

Quote from: PatriotClock;1977376do you have the sounds all on the same layer? If so there shouldn't be a single frame of that layer without something playing. Sounds set to stream?

All the different sounds are spread out on different layers throughout the movie. There's multiple music tracks and different sound effects. Sounds are set to stream, yes.

Quote from: olskoo;1977377instead of putting 30 second silence clips between your sounds like a numpty why not make a 10 minute silence clip and play it throughout the entire movie

Did this. Didn't work. :/

miracle fruit

wow , its being really stubborn

i guess you could suffer the "put every single sound into its own movieclip" noob tactic as a last resort

if that doesnt work god bless u

miracle fruit

actually
Quote from: pop-tart;1977368I just edit all my sounds into one file nowadays... since I like music or wind or birds or something eating up the silence anyway.

try this

patriotclock

Quote from: MelloYelloClock;1977380All the different sounds are spread out on different layers throughout the movie. There's multiple music tracks and different sound effects. Sounds are set to stream, yes.

Did this. Didn't work. :/

Try making a layer and just moving all the sounds there with the empty sound playing on every frame in between. If that doesn't work then idk

e: what magic butt said should also work but that's annoying

patriotclock

Quote from: olskoo;1977382actually

try this

that should work too but that's annoying too imo

AstronautClock

didnt read the thread but make a new scene. scenes cant be too long or flash desyncs them for some reason prob some kind of fps issue

MelloYelloClock

alright I made a new scene for that portion of the movie. Didn't really help too much. I still notice the lag. But I do notice within the timeline, a certain part of the flash lags like crazy due to an overabundance of text. That may be what is fucking the rest of the movie over. I'm gonna edit it and see if it makes a difference.

patriotclock

Quote from: PatriotClock;1977383Try making a layer and just moving all the sounds there with the empty sound playing on every frame in between. If that doesn't work then idk

e: what magic butt said should also work but that's annoying

try this tho