News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

vaporwave

Farted by PezClock, December 02, 2014, 08:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SockpuppetClock

i don't particularly care if a vaporwave track is based entirely on a sample or something, since I almost certainly would have never heard the original track anyways. if it still sounds good i can say i'm glad i found it

VCRClock

Quote from: SockpuppetClock on September 15, 2016, 06:36:13 AM
i don't particularly care if a vaporwave track is based entirely on a sample or something, since I almost certainly would have never heard the original track anyways. if it still sounds good i can say i'm glad i found it
I feel this way in general about sampling in music. if it weren't for sampling, there's plenty of shit I wouldn't have heard of. but if an artist claims sampling as their artform, I need to see them be an artist. how hard could it possibly be to make an uptempo dance track out of the chorus of another uptempo dance track, and add some video game and anime noises? if I feel like I might as well be listening to the track they sampled, especially if they're not dropping a totally unheard-of record on me (which can be impressive, but less impressive than being really creative with a sample), then I feel as if they're not doing their job.
what I like is when I can listen to a track, find the track it sampled, and find either that I like the new song better; or, better yet, that I like both songs for different reasons.
I think my attitude toward (specifically derivative) vaporwave is mostly that I dig it when people are as passionate about the specific temporal/cultural niche of records they sample as, say, hip hop producers are about funk 45s. but I'd rather listen to records vaporwave people like than listen to vaporwave. I'm a negative motherfucker and I hate it when people try to give me some sort of nostalgia boner, as if that alone is saying something. I can't take the A E S T H E T I C and the ornamental Japanese seriously enough to take vaporwave seriously. I don't discount the possibility that there are vaporwavey artists out there whose approach I might respect, but... nothing I've seen has made me want to dig deeper?
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

SockpuppetClock

ye i get it..as far as i can tell vaporwave only really existed for like a year and then everything after that has been unoriginal people going by a formula for H O T V A P O R by picking a sample, slowing it down, doing some mild nonsense on it then calling it a day.

zl

zl

AlbinoClock

Vaporware is software whose copyright holders no longer exist.

d u m p y

besides retrowave or whatever you call stuff like this shit and the hotline miami soundtrack that tries to sound like 80's movies soundtracks is way fucking cooler than this "sadboii" tumblr fagshit

SilverCherryClock

Slurpee

I thought vaporwave was one of the made-up computer things julia styles said on that episode of ghostwriter
it wasn't, but it would fit right in
[u2]bLlj_GeKniA[/u2]
can you jam with the console cowboys in cyberspace?

SilverCherryClock

It's more along these lines:
[u2]kt3Oj-Dq-MM[/u2]

GraphicsClock

Quote from: NintendoClock on December 02, 2014, 09:54:33 PM
I've really been getting into Huey Lewis and the News lately personally

Same

PhantomCatClock