Author Topic: vaporwave  (Read 5354 times)

SockpuppetClock

• IT IS THE MOMENT WHEN OUR ARTIST HAS REGRESSED TO THE POINT OF INFINITY
  • Official Clock
  • Dead Cops: 410757864530
    • Newgrounds: bigexplosions
  • Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant For winning flash of the month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: vaporwave
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 07:36:13 AM »
i don't particularly care if a vaporwave track is based entirely on a sample or something, since I almost certainly would have never heard the original track anyways. if it still sounds good i can say i'm glad i found it

VCRClock

• yeah yeah i'll get to it
  • Administrator
    • Newgrounds: vcrclock
  • Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Pass The Cash Participant For winning flash of the month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 12:34:06 PM »
i don't particularly care if a vaporwave track is based entirely on a sample or something, since I almost certainly would have never heard the original track anyways. if it still sounds good i can say i'm glad i found it
I feel this way in general about sampling in music. if it weren't for sampling, there's plenty of shit I wouldn't have heard of. but if an artist claims sampling as their artform, I need to see them be an artist. how hard could it possibly be to make an uptempo dance track out of the chorus of another uptempo dance track, and add some video game and anime noises? if I feel like I might as well be listening to the track they sampled, especially if they're not dropping a totally unheard-of record on me (which can be impressive, but less impressive than being really creative with a sample), then I feel as if they're not doing their job.
what I like is when I can listen to a track, find the track it sampled, and find either that I like the new song better; or, better yet, that I like both songs for different reasons.
I think my attitude toward (specifically derivative) vaporwave is mostly that I dig it when people are as passionate about the specific temporal/cultural niche of records they sample as, say, hip hop producers are about funk 45s. but I'd rather listen to records vaporwave people like than listen to vaporwave. I'm a negative motherfucker and I hate it when people try to give me some sort of nostalgia boner, as if that alone is saying something. I can't take the A E S T H E T I C and the ornamental Japanese seriously enough to take vaporwave seriously. I don't discount the possibility that there are vaporwavey artists out there whose approach I might respect, but... nothing I've seen has made me want to dig deeper?

SockpuppetClock

• IT IS THE MOMENT WHEN OUR ARTIST HAS REGRESSED TO THE POINT OF INFINITY
  • Official Clock
  • Dead Cops: 410757864530
    • Newgrounds: bigexplosions
  • Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant For winning flash of the month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 05:47:24 PM »
ye i get it..as far as i can tell vaporwave only really existed for like a year and then everything after that has been unoriginal people going by a formula for H O T V A P O R by picking a sample, slowing it down, doing some mild nonsense on it then calling it a day.

zl

• Official Clock
    • Newgrounds: ZombieLincoln
  • AAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 05:50:35 PM »
but what about simpwave
<a href="http://smallflygames.com/diary/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/sigwalk.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://smallflygames.com/diary/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/sigwalk.swf</a>

zl

• Official Clock
    • Newgrounds: ZombieLincoln
  • AAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 06:29:16 PM »
what about simpwave
<a href="http://smallflygames.com/diary/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/sigwalk.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://smallflygames.com/diary/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/sigwalk.swf</a>

AlbinoClock

• yep
  • Official Clock
  • WENK! W-WENK WENK!
  • For excellence in the field of excellence For winning flash of the month Pass The Cash Participant Clock Day 2005 Participant Clock Day 2006 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant
    • View Profile
    • http://albinoclock.newgrounds.com
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 04:38:05 PM »
Vaporware is software whose copyright holders no longer exist.

Vegetable Lasagna

• that's my apple juice
  • Official Clock
  • Good popstin, bro. Props Participated in Squirrel Day 2013 Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 05:32:14 PM »
besides retrowave or whatever you call stuff like this shit and the hotline miami soundtrack that tries to sound like 80's movies soundtracks is way fucking cooler than this "sadboii" tumblr fagshit

SilverCherryClock

• I have birds everywhere I go, they are in different places but all together. It\'s cool and fun.
  • Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2018, 08:47:29 PM »
I love vaporwave now

Slurpee

• I sure xylophone do I xylophone
  • Official Clock
  • Slurpee Posts: 3521
  • Clock Day 2017 Participant For winning flash of the month Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Pass The Cash Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 10:15:23 PM »
I thought vaporwave was one of the made-up computer things julia styles said on that episode of ghostwriter
it wasn't, but it would fit right in
can you jam with the console cowboys in cyberspace?

SilverCherryClock

• I have birds everywhere I go, they are in different places but all together. It\'s cool and fun.
  • Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 08:43:21 PM »
It's more along these lines: