News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Warcraff Movie Hype (Again, again)

Farted by PhantomCatClock, March 24, 2015, 12:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomCatClock

Gasp and gasp. Saw some blue posts saying that's kosher. Not sure how it's coming out in a year when there's still no flipping information for it but whatever, that's good.

Blizzard's Chris Metzen will co-produce. This still makes me giggle and I hope it hasn't changed

RobClock

pretty much all the information that's out there for it was from last year's Blizzcon panel which told us next to nothing other than showing off some props and revealing some actors.

I'm pretty excited for it because i'm a glutton for the Warcraft franchise no matter how bad WoW is these days. My only worry is that the guy they having playing Lothar is the main actor from Vikings and having watched a few episodes of Vikings i feel safe in saying that I have little to no faith in his acting ability. I also don't think he looks the part although that is, of course, strictly subjective.

RobClock

There was a behind-closed-doors trailer for it at Blizzcon but it was only for attendees of the panel. I don't know why they're so hesitant to show us anything but it's pretty infuriating. Of course they've announced another Blizzcon for this year and unless they're planning on another massive game reveal or a new WoW expansion (which there's been speculation on, but i think it'd be I'm a edgy teen of them to have Warlords of Draenor end after only 2 content updates), the movie trailer will most likely be center stage.

They showed concept art of Ironforge at one point. I hope they kept Ironforge in.

PhantomCatClock

Really. There's going to be one more raid, at least, if you've done the legendary ring quest (sorry if you're on LFR and only almost done), so hopefully it's just that and more movie info. After two years it's only been pushed back from Dec2015 to Mar2016, so I feel like it'll actually be coming out around then.

And yeah, that was pretty sweet. Come to think of it, shit, this takes place during the First War. Maybe I should've been Alliance since Lordaeron isn't a festering shithole, yet.

RobClock

Yeah Lordaeron isn't dead yet, but the story takes place in Stormwind 1.0 before the Orcs ravage the shit out of it.

then again they did show concept art of Dalaran, so maybe all the other human kingdom's won't get sidelined the way they always do.

PhantomCatClock

I remember getting into hala-for-a-Dalaran by using Eyes of the Beast.

There was nothing but grass there. Archimonde doesn't fuck around.

PirateClock

I really liked Warcraft back when it was an RTS. As i understand it WoW fucked up the entire universe.
_pirate_butchcavities (20:29:15): FUCK CLOCKS _pirate_

PhantomCatClock

welcome to the Rob and PhantomCat thread. Have a pillow, make yourself comfortable PLEASE STAY PLEASE

PhantomCatClock

First look at Doomhammer. No, not that Doomhammer, we already saw that. I mean THIS one.

Even though orcs have been scientifically proven to wear their armor 100% of the time, he's not in his cool black getup. Also no dumb earrings. This does look cool and all, I'm just not getting hyped from looking at it, I mean... oh, hang on, he's brown. Is Mannoroth going to be in this movie? OH SHIIIIIT HYYYYYYYPED

PhantomCatClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock;1982346Mannoroth

Shit, I was thinking of the cutscene where Grom and Thrall kill him. Orgrim was never green, hwhoopsydoodle.

RobClock

What? Yes he was. Doomhammer was Blackhand's second in command during the first war. He drank the demon blood just like everyone else.

also; they changed his hair and facial hair, and he's not wearing the black/gold plate armour so there is literally nothing about this design that doesn't make it just a generic orc.

also i really wish blizzard would stop designing all their orcs to just be beefy attractive dudes instead of grotesque monsters. I fucking hate their 'have my cake and eat it too' attitude where they want orcs to still have the cool factor of being a bloodlust warrior race but simultaneously want orcs to be peaceful shamanistic hippy race who cant shut the fuck up about honour.

this is just becoming me bitching about warcraft so i'm going to stop

PhantomCatClock

Orgrim was like the only non-Frostwolf to refuse to drink from it (but he did succumb to the bloodlust anyway, so I guess it didn't matter) THOUGH I'M NOT sure if that's canon, since I didn't play Warcraft 2, but it is in the book (ctrl+F for "Come, friend Orgrim!" and maybe read the page before for some context. Again, not sure how canon it is, but this was written in 2006, and the gist of it is that Orgrim had his suspicions that the orcs were being deceived, as well. He plays it off so well you'd think he was a rogue.) (P.S. don't be fooled by how awful the scan on this book is--yes, some letters were changed in the output, but it really is poorly written without those added errors)

RobClock

The concept that not every orc drank the demon blood is a retcon, but regardless of whether or not he drank the demon blood, during the period of time that the dark portal was under construction and hellfire peninsula was drying up, the fel magic was corrupting all the orcs just from exposure and they had all turned green by the time they invaded Azeroth.  I own the 'Chronicles of War' anthology book so I'm not sure if what I'm referencing is from Rise of the Horde, or Tides of Darkness. It's been ages since i read any of it.

The novelizations of the older games are more canonically acceptable than the actual games because they're retconned all to shit to fit the new streamlined world narrative Bliz has been trying to force for years now. But even then Blizzard has shown absolutely no regard for established canon and they frequently just do whatever the fuck they want If they think it's cool at the time. See: End of WotLK, End of Cataclysm, and the entirety of WoD and the buildup to it.

PhantomCatClock

I've been reading nerdspout all day, now, and you're definitely right and bah, I was even wrong on the idea. The blood just gave them the glowy red eyes, it was the fel magic that turned their skin green. asdf but anyway hey a First War movie. I wonder if Lothar's death is gonna be in it (and if it's going to be the ambushy large battle death in the game or the HONORABLE ONE ON ONE DEATH in the book)

RobClock

oh it'll definitely be the one-on-one death if they get that far. Look up the Lothar and Orgrim TCG cards for some really cool artwork of the standoff. It's pretty much hard canon.

I think they'll end the movie with the destruction of Stormwind though.

PhantomCatClock

I'm giving 5:1 odds of them ignoring any of the story outside of the characters, if anyone wants to place bets on this taking the comic book movie route

AstronautClock

PhantomCatClock

RobClock

About goddamn time. Hope they show humans and the orcs are actually green.

PhantomCatClock

http://www.wowhead.com/news=248294/sdcc-legendary-films-panel-warcraft-movie-site-lothar-and-durotan-character-art

Looks like it waaaaasn't a trailer? Ã,¿Ã,¿Ã,¿Ã·Ã·Ã·????Ã,¿?Ã,¿Ã,¿??Ã,¿Ã,¿?? Even the Battlenet splash said the trailer was coming down at 2:30 PST today.

The orc statues they had sitting around--for the movie, not the video game--are nice and orcly shaped, but that Durotan from the poster looks

ugh?

he looks ugh. This might be the first twinge of unhype I felt but BY GOLLY STILL HYPED.