News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

DOOM 4 - closed multiplayer alpha

Farted by RobClock, October 23, 2015, 01:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClock

Has anyone else played it? You gained entry by buying Wolfenstein: The New Order before a certain date last year, and redeeming the code it came with.

I found myself supremely underwhelmed. Every round I've played has been nothing but rocket spamming, with the winners determined by whichever team managed to get the Demon Rune more than the other. Aesthetically it's more akin to Quake with a dash of Halo, and the way it plays is more like Halo than any ID game.

PhantomCatClock

Your review saddens, but does not surprise, me

RobClock

alright so the game proper is out now and i was firmly in the 'not going to buy it' category since the alpha/beta left such a sour taste in my mouth, but then, to my surprise, i start hearing this amazing word of mouth from everybody who played it.

So i bought it, like a sucker. It's pretty good, I'll give it that. It's not some kind of fundamentally old-school game, as the marketing hype would have you believe, it's very modern even in its interpretation of what 90s FPS 'were'. The focus on quick movement around a multilayered arena, i would say, makes it more reminiscent of Quake than any of the DOOM games, although that's not necessarily a 'bad' thing.

Stylistically I still disagree with quite a few choices they made. The way item pick ups look, and how they fly out of enemies with big colourful animation lines ala Boarderlands bothers me to no end, and the CONSTANT execution animations are totally unnecessary imo (though they are all mercifully brief). The doomguy himself looks to my eye practically 1:1 with Master Chief, though most of the demons look fantastic, if a little cartoony. It indulges itself in Half-Life-esque moments where youre trapped in a small room while an NPC yammers on about the story you don't give a fuck about, but these moments too are mercifully short.

The music is fucking amazing. I'm probably going to see if its available on CD, because i would listen to this shit in my car given the option.

On the whole though, it's fast, fun and satisfying to play. Anybody else pick this up?

NintendrCkolc

Bought this a couple of days ago. I haven't had enough time with it (unfortunately) but I for one love it. I figured you would too Rob considering we've had our discussions on Duke in the past. This reminds me a lot of that and as a result I'm very much satisified.

I don't really have an issue with the bright drops or the systems in place. Gory kills are, in my opinion, pretty fun and you can upgrade them so that they're just ridiculously fast a bit later in the game. The chainsaw is pretty viable here and I can appreciate how it serves as not only a weapon but also as a fundamental mechanic to the overall experience.

Ultimately its a breath of fresh air. Ironic how something can feel so old yet so fresh both at the same time. I love it.

NintendrCkolc

And I'll go ahead and echo this but for those of you who don't know, the multiplayer is straight garbage. Don't bother. It's nothing you haven't seen a dozen times before.

Snap map might be cool though.

RobClock

I've since finished the game and more or less take back what i said about the glory kills. Later in the game when you're fighting bigger hoards of enemies the ability to run up and quickly kill one and get the health+ammo drop off it is super helpful and a cool way to make a comeback when you're getting beat down. Say you fight off 3-4 Revenant, 2 Mancubus, and a horde of zombies and imps, and another wave starts spawning in, but this time you've got a few Barons of Hell to deal with- you just run up, give a big bastard a taste of your chainsaw, and then you're restocked on ammo for the rest of the fight. It feels natural.

The fact that they outsourced multiplayer to the guys who did CoD: Ghosts and Halo's Master Chief Collection still baffles me. Those two games are maligned even by fans of their respective series. What were Bethesda/id thinking?

NintendrCkolc

I haven't quite finished the game yet but I suspect I'm getting close. I just killed off the cyber demon and have been exploring the depths of hell yet again.

I really appreciate the length of this game and while the story isn't all that important I like how intrigued I am by it. Samuel Hayden and Olivia are both pretty interesting characters in and of themselves. Samuel's voice actor, in particular, is really awesome. I also find myself reading almost every codex entry. I'm kind of getting a weird System Shock vibe from this game which is nice.

Honestly this is probably my favorite FPS campaign in years. Whenever I manage to get time to play it, I have a hard time putting it down. It's so much fun and it plays so smoothly even on a controller.

Can't recommend this game enough.

cast

Quote from: Nintendoclock on May 24, 2016, 01:23:11 PM
I haven't quite finished the game yet but I suspect I'm getting close. I just killed off the cyber demon and have been exploring the depths of hell yet again.

I really appreciate the length of this game and while the story isn't all that important I like how intrigued I am by it. Samuel Hayden and Olivia are both pretty interesting characters in and of themselves. Samuel's voice actor, in particular, is really awesome. I also find myself reading almost every codex entry. I'm kind of getting a weird System Shock vibe from this game which is nice.

Honestly this is probably my favorite FPS campaign in years. Whenever I manage to get time to play it, I have a hard time putting it down. It's so much fun and it plays so smoothly even on a controller.

Can't recommend this game enough.

Yeah me too.