News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Anyone here reading comics?

Farted by AbsintheClock, May 27, 2016, 01:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbsintheClock

If so what are you guys reading? I've got three long boxes full of stuff that I've accumulated. Lately my favorite series I've been reading is Providence by Alan Moore. Also a pretty big fan of I Hate Fairyland, House of Penance, Paper Girls, Twilight Children, Doctor Strange, Nemesis, and a whole mess of DC stuff.

RobClock

Right now my pull list is Godzilla: Oblivion, Kaijumax, The Coming of the Supermen, The X-Files, and The Punisher. I just read and DC Rebirth and it was shockingly good so I think I'll be sticking with that and I'm thinking about jumping on board some of the new DC runs when they hit shelves. I've read the last 2-3 issues of Ms.Marvel because a friend of mine likes her. Not bad, but not really my thing so I haven't been actually picking up the floppies.

A while back I laid out all my comics to show off to some friends, you can see that here if you're so inclined.

AbsintheClock

As far as the rebirth stuff, I think Tom King is going to do a pretty good job with the Batman stuff. His work in Sheriff of Babylon, Grayson, and The Vision was pretty awesome. I'm skeptical of the rebirth stuff, but I'll take a wait and see approach. Coming of the supermen is pretty interesting too. I'm kinda annoyed with how the N52 Superman was given his send off.

Sinister Clock

The rick and morty comics are good.

RobClock

All of my Superman reading has been done in trades, so I really didn't have much of an idea what the deal was with Nu52's Supes, or why he got so much hate. I read 'The Final Days of Superman' this past week, and while i followed it well enough, it did seem pretty convoluted. I get that they're supposedly merging the New 52 continuity with the previously ongoing continuity, but the whole thing just seems messy from the outside looking in.

I've wanted to get into Superman for a few years now and was kind of waiting for an opportune moment, which is why I had been picking up trades and jumped on this last miniseries, but it looks like If i want to read the ongoings for Supes I'm just going to have to deal with being lost for a while.

AbsintheClock

In a way it's kind of a good time to jump on board with anything DC right now because of rebirth. All Star Superman by Grant Morrison is a pretty good read.

zl

I'm about to read the Golden Compass graphic novel

RobClock

Quote from: AbsintheClock on May 27, 2016, 04:17:44 PM
In a way it's kind of a good time to jump on board with anything DC right now because of rebirth. All Star Superman by Grant Morrison is a pretty good read.
I already own and have read All-Star Superman and it's really freaking good, but I just today watched the 2011 animated version which was pretty frigging alright, but cuts out a bunch of stuff. So if you wanted to see the bizarro world or doomsday jimmy olsen you're shit out of luck Other than the omissions, though, it's pretty spot on.

AbsintheClock

I like Grant Morrison in general. The multiversity stuff was a bit too convoluted for a lot of people, but I really liked it.

RobClock

I was reading Aquaman Rebirth today and was kind of digging it until I got to this page http://i.imgur.com/Qb4mM1B.jpg

I get it DC- Aquaman is a pop-culture punchline. You want the public to take him seriously. I want to be able to take him seriously. You know what makes it fucking impossible to take him seriously?

This meta commentary bullshit you jam in about how nobody takes him seriously. It was all over Nu52 Aquaman aswell. Just let him exist in his world and deal with his oceanic problems and be King of Atlantis and all that cool shit, and maybe even tell a decent story, and you won't need to clarify that he "DOESN'T talk to fish" for him to be taken seriously. It's a fucking comic book, you don't need to defend the outlandish premises of a character that is 75 years old.

I am glad they didn't redesign him to look like the garbage Khal Drogo design from the upcoming Justice League movie, however.

AbsintheClock

Yeah I didn't read it for that exact reason. As a character concept Aquaman is fucking great, but the execution is lacking. I did like the new Detective Comics though. I'm interested in seeing more of Clayface as a crimefighter. I liked the N52 Aquaman as far as the colors and drawings went. Once they introduced The Others it all went to shit though.

The new and final Head Lopper is a pretty good series if you like Medieval stuff, and seeing cartoony beasts getting decapitated.

RobClock

Quote from: AbsintheClock on June 09, 2016, 09:12:37 PM
The new and final Head Lopper is a pretty good series if you like Medieval stuff, and seeing cartoony beasts getting decapitated.

I keep meaning to ask my comic shop owner about this series but forget every time I head in town. Hopefully I'll remember by the time I get in there today.

Since I last posted in this thread I've got a fair amount of reading done. In the world of trades I've read 'We Stand on Guard' which is a futuristic apocalypse-ish story about the US bombing the shit out of Canada, and the remaining Canadians leading a resistance against them. The Americans have giant mechs and the Canadians have a redhead who gets her tits out at one point. Good shit, would recommend. I also picked up a bunch of Supes books, most notably the 'Celebration of 75 Years' compilation and the TPB of 'Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?'. 75 Years was kind of disappointing because it focuses more on the 'take me seriously' side of Superman as apposed to the whimsical. There's basically nothing silver age in there at all, and the Golden Age reprints are just fucking horrible. Awful quality.

In the world of single issues, since my last post about 'em,  Godzilla: Oblivion and The Coming of the Supermen. Oblivion was disappointing as hell right to the end. The weakest art of any Godzilla comic I've ever read and totally bog-standard boring as fuck story. Coming of the Superman was an insane joyride and I loved every minute of it.

I've started picking up Superman, Wonder Woman and Action Comics. The first 5 issues of Superman have been great. Wondy has been doing this thing with alternating between two stories with each issue, the even numbers being a retelling of her origin story, and the odd numbers with something new, so really not a lot has happened yet in either run lol. Action Comics just finished a SIX ISSUE arc of Superman punching Doomsday and holy mother of shit who greenlit that? The first two issues of so introduced a couple of cool concepts, totally unrelated to the fight, and then it just dragged on and on and on and on and, to top it off, #6 ended with a teaser for more Doomsday. Just fuck off with that.

There's also a new Godzilla comic out called 'Rage Across Time', which is an immeasurably huge step up from Oblivion. I think it's Matt Frank back for the art, but the first issue took place in feudal japan and is stylized to look like old japanese paintings. A treat for the eyeballs.

I think that's everything. I don't know that anyone would actually be interested but I wanted to talk about comics after posting in this thread.

AlbinoClock

Been reading the shit out of comics. Here's some stuff I just went through recently:

• Gwenpool (<3)
  • The Walking Dead
  • Nextwave
  • The Maxx
  • Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
  • House of M
  • Decimation
  • Planet Hulk
  • Civil War (still fairly early in it)

I fucking love Gwenpool. She even wears my colors!

Just got an invite to a comic tracker today and I'm psyched. :D