News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

The receptionist at my new job is getting my name wrong

Farted by Topcatyo, September 08, 2017, 08:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topcatyo

So I have a new job, been working there for about a month and change, plus another month of training, but that was at a different branch.

At first she had my name right.  "Ian".  She's like a 75 year old woman and she's very sweet, though she keeps telling me the same story over and over again about how her grandson works in a religious convent and his daughter in an artist and designed that poster that's over there on the wall, and usually when we have those particular conversations I'm trying to get back to my desk or up to the break room before I run out of time on my break.

Lately, though, she's started calling me "Ian."  At first it started out as "Lian", which I let go because it sounded like she had a bubble in her through when she said it so I figured she still knew my name.

But now she's definitely full on calling me "Liam".
At this point she's talked to me enough I've never found a good time to correct her that "Liam" is, in fact, not my name.
Although today I gave it a shot.
I had to talk with an employee on a different floor and get their signature on something.  So I went up to our receptionist and I asked her to call up that employee.  So she called the department and says "I have somebody up here who needs your signature. It's Liam."
I said "It's 'Ian'".
She looked up at me and said "What?"
I said "It's 'Ian.'"
She stared for a second and spoke into the phone "Yeah, I need you to come up here and sign something for Liam."
So I sorta gave up in that moment, so long as I got the signature, because I was busy.
At that moment, the cleaning lady, who had been talking to the receptionist when I came up to ask for her to make the call, said "Hey, one of my favorite actors is named 'Liam'."
I can only assume she was talking about Liam Neeson, cause who the fuck else would she be referring to?

So I gave a forced laugh and slowly backed through the door to get back to my seat.

Now I'm debating whether I should finally confront this sweet old woman and lay down the law regarding what is and is not my name, or keep up the facade and let her keep introducing me to other employees as "Liam" until she dies.

PhantomCatClock

Wear a nametag to make yourself feel even less important

RenegadeClock

Print your name in big bold letters on a t-shirt, and wear a button up over it. Then, when you approach her, bust that shit open like Superman.

Topcatyo

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on September 08, 2017, 08:58:25 PM
Wear a nametag to make yourself feel even less important
I have a nametag. We all have nametags. She also gets all the e-mails where my loan application numbers appear next to my name.  She's congratulated me on my loan applications after having read an e-mail about me getting the most in one day, which featured my name in a big bold font next to some exclamation points.
Quote from: RenegadeClock on September 08, 2017, 09:00:11 PM
Print your name in big bold letters on a t-shirt, and wear a button up over it. Then, when you approach her, bust that shit open like Superman.
Quote from: wavy gravy on September 08, 2017, 10:41:35 PM
Quote from: RenegadeClock on September 08, 2017, 09:00:11 PM

dude what the HECK i was going to suggest this before i saw your response

i even had a google image search ready:

These are rock solid suggestions though.

Topcatyo

Also one of my roommates thinks my name is "Lan", but English is her second language so she gets a free pass

Topcatyo

I blame the similarities between upper-case I's and lower case L's

But it is a change of pace from people reading my name and just deciding to call me "Ethan".

PhantomCatClock

It's one thing for a possibly crazy old lady to get your name wrong, but now that you said your roommate gets it wrong I think you just have a fear of confrontation and seriffed fonts

VCRClock

Wow, small world. One of my favorite cities in Alabama is named Dothan.
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

Topcatyo

UPDATE::
Had a conversation with some coworkers about her getting my name wrong, because clearly the best solution to a problem is to passive-aggressively discuss problems you're having with people who are not-at-all involved in your situations.

I've found out the receptionist has gotten everybody's name wrong.  Every. Body. She used to think Veronica was Victoria, and Patrick was Peter.
So I guess all is well?

Still gonna figure out how to get my roommate to learn my proper name though

PhantomCatClock

put a shock collar on him while he's sleeping and, if he doesn't notice, activate it every time he calls you Lan.

VCRClock

<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.

VCRClock

no, wait, i'm sorry, daryl

don't worry, I'll get it eventually. my brother's in-law's name is daryl too

RenegadeClock

"Listen here, you old bat, there are a thousand smoking hot, 19 year old chicks in this city that would do your job for 1/4 of the price we pay you. So get your shit together, and get our goddamn names right, or else you can take your dusty, old clam down to the retirement home and forget the name of your son, who will never come to visit you."

Clocktopus

Topcatyo

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on September 09, 2017, 11:41:12 PM
put a shock collar on him while he's sleeping and, if he doesn't notice, activate it every time he calls you Lan.
Or I'll just sic my other roommate's baby kitten on her. That cat is a real fuckin asshole.

Quote from: RenegadeClock on September 10, 2017, 01:05:22 PM
"Listen here, you old bat, there are a thousand smoking hot, 19 year old chicks in this city that would do your job for 1/4 of the price we pay you. So get your shit together, and get our goddamn names right, or else you can take your dusty, old clam down to the retirement home and forget the name of your son, who will never come to visit you."
I like it, but is there a version you can give me that includes dancing on her grave as well?

Quote from: OctopusClock on September 10, 2017, 07:35:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0AHqHxqmT0

It's already too late, just accept it.
I always forget Chris Parnell did things before 30 Rock

Topcatyo

Quote from: wavy gravy on September 11, 2017, 12:12:44 AM
If I were still an admin around these parts, by golly I'd change your name to Liam in a flash!
That would be some tomfoolery I could get down with

Topcatyo

Golden Clock for Admin

I mean, really, what else does this site got going for it?

Topcatyo

So today the receptionist read my nametag and called me "Ian" as part of some story she was telling me, and I thought "Oh, hey, she might finally start getting my name right!"

Then about 2 hours later she was back to calling me Liam.

RobClock

Topcatyo

Quote from: LiamClock on September 13, 2017, 11:11:44 AM
Quote from: Liam on September 12, 2017, 11:05:07 PM
So today the receptionist read my nametag and called me "Ian" as part of some story she was telling me, and I thought "Oh, hey, she might finally start getting my name right!"

Then about 2 hours later she was back to calling me Liam.

maybe she has some kind of degenerative disease because that's really weird imo
It's a possibility considering the amount of times she's told me about her grandson who is my age who works in a religious convent with a bunch of priests and her daughter who designed that poster over there