News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

So....

Farted by Marijuanaclock, November 28, 2017, 09:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marijuanaclock

What's happened in the decade I've been away?

PhantomCatClock

I was drinking and playing video games and I didn't want to go to the bathroom so I shit myself but I still didn't go to the bathroom and luckily when I did end up going it turned out to just be a weirdly solid feeling fart

this was maybe two years ago

Clocktopus

Topcatyo

I'm pretty sure at least one person had sex but it's sorta a Spartacus situation when it comes to that so it's hard to find out who

Slurpee

sup dude, damn, it's been a minute
you still a communist?

we actually went through a cool renaissance/second peak thing 3-6 years ago, but the fall off afterwards was pretty sharp

I recommend "Pass The Ca$h" and "Hhecf14rotpohiltswalc" if you're interested, they're incredibly good movies about penises and I forget, respectively

Marijuanaclock

Quote from: Slurpee on November 29, 2017, 02:25:32 AM
you still a communist

Lol, no.

Kodiakclock

Best thread of all time.
Quote from: YoYoClock;1903849
KodiakClock - Super Butt

NintendrCkolc

you still a communist?

we actually went through a cool renaissance/second peak thing 3-6 years ago, but the fall off afterwards was pretty sharp

I recommend "Pass The Ca$h" and "Hhecf14rotpohiltswalc" if you're interested, they're incredibly good movies about penises and I forget, respectively

I wonder if that second renaissance thing was a result of younger clocks of the early years growing up a bit...

EH WHO CARES

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: Nintendoclock on April 26, 2018, 06:54:27 PM
you still a communist?

I wonder if that second renaissance thing was a result of younger clocks of the early years growing up a bit...

EH WHO CARES

the combination of that and building off of what came before made for some good shit. then everybody got jobs lost time for animation and now the forums are slow. though not dead somehow.

NintendrCkolc

Third renaissance coming 2021

RobClock

Don’t call it a comeback

BlackberryClock

Quote from: Marijuanaclock on November 30, 2017, 12:16:27 AM
you still a communist

Lol, no.
Now I'm really interested in hearing you elaborate considering our history. If you come back that is.

<3

SpudClock

Everyone grows outta that shit. I had an economics professor who came from Russia and he always made it a point to teach us just how stupid most of us were for ever thinking communism was a good idea. You know they eat fruit over there for dessert? Fucking madness

RobClock

But that’s not REAL communism #Bernie2020

SpudClock

We have a debilitating heroin problem and a terrible economy based way too much in tourism when we only get tourists for half the year. And Bernie is still what makes me more embarrassed than anything else to be from Vermont. And at his rallies he used to just speak to us about the problems. He understood the plight of the poor average joe in a small shitty town. And some of his solutions actually do work on the smaller scale of Vermont because we're a lot like those Norwegian countries where that kind of stuff can also work (rural, cold, small homogenous population). That's how he rose to prominence here. We're not as stupid as he makes us look. It's just that he and his local supporters don't understand that what might work for the tiny, least populated, least urban state in the country probably won't work for a huge country full of cities with losers who are just itching to take advantage with zero intent of ever trying to get off the government tit.

I don't get how he can say with a straight face that white people don't know what it's like to be poor though. That's what I was getting at before I rambled into a rant. The guy's entire career was built on telling poor white people how he understands our struggles. People always talk about how no matter where you stand on the issues you gotta admire how authentic he is. Wigga please

VCRClock

Quote from: SpudClock on December 15, 2019, 11:49:38 AM
cities with losers who are just itching to take advantage with zero intent of ever trying to get off the government tit.

sounds like you're referring to a classic conservative bogeyman here

people's earning potential depends a lot on how they grew up. didn't grow up speaking english? all right, cool, learn it as an adult so you can qualify for basic ass jobs where you have to talk to people, which is most of them, or find a job where you don't have to speak english that well, which is not going to pay well. can't afford education more expensive than duolingo? have to work and/or take care of family so much that you don't have time to get good at a second language that may or may not actually get you a better job? tough shit!
ps if you think there's money in construction or some shit, that depends completely upon where you live.

maybe some individuals won't ever get off the government tit, but kids don't grow up aspiring to do as little as possible and collect a government check, because obviously there are ways to make more money than that, still potentially open to them. BUT if you want to make it harder for children of low earning potential parents to "break the poverty cycle" or whatever, go ahead and be real stingy about assistance programs. I'm sure their parents will figure something out and we'll all save a bundle on our taxes.

not speaking english isn't the only financial/class obstacle out there, obviously, it's just a clear example, but I already don't want to be making this post
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

SpudClock

All due respect, no, you're kinda the one doing the boogeyman projecting here. I live in Vermont dude, after Cali, NY and Mass, we're easily the bluest state in the US. I just said I used to go to freaking Bernie Sanders rallies and you think I'm a conservative? You just heard "losers itching to take advantage" and assumed I meant everyone who ever recieves government benefits didn't you? Far from it. And when did I ever put any of it on immigrants? Did you hear homogenous and assume it's a racial thing? That's a little insulting. I'm simply stating the mindset of the average Vermonter is nothing like that of a city-slicker.

The people I'm talking about pretty much all speak English fluently and were born in this country. Vermont has its share of them too, it's just like I said before, we have enough decent, hard-working people to balance it out and being such a tiny state, it's much easier for us to weed out the losers who just use their benefits to score more dope. I've made it no secret that I spent most of my 20s being a junkie and am on Suboxone now (and it's courtesy of the state too). Junkies are generally friends with other junkies though, and I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say everyone I know my age on welfare or EBT cash spends the money on horse or crack or both. My step-sister is human garbage. Girls like her get pregnant and keep the baby simply because they see the kid as their meal ticket to never work again, free dope courtesy of the state. The father raises him and does and pays for everything while she just collects checks (they're not together anymore by the way) she doesn't deserve. Same situation with my best friend, but he managed to take his ex to court for full custody and won. No more free dope for that bitch. Now imagine a giant city where there are way more of these losers, with a system too big to keep proper tabs on who it just hands over money to. They probably would've just sided with the mother instead of doing their due dilligence. That's the kinda shit I'm talking about, doesn't have shit to do with speaking English or not. It's just that most Vermonters are pretty blue collar, hard-working people. The decent people to loser ratio is much better here than it is in a city, where you see far more lazy people taking advantage with zero intent of ever getting off the benefits. Of course they don't aspire to do this as kids, but that's a bit of a rediculous argument. The world would be full of astronauts, cowboys and princesses if everyone became what they aspired to be as kids. People grow up and some of them just become plain lazy. Dude I used to buy from pretends to be crazy so the state will pay his rent, and he could easily pay it with the money he makes selling dope, but then he would have to get a job to pay for other stuff. Nah, to him that's for suckers. He's from New York, and that's where he picked up his lazy ways. Everyone he grew up around taught him working is for chumps, just get money any way you can besides working a 9-5. This attitude is just far too prevalent in low income areas of large cities. I can't explain it, I don't know the how or the why, I know it's not everyone, but it is there and there's way too much of it.

But I know state benefits do a lot of good in people's lives too. The state saved mine, that's for sure. Vermont is a considerably smarter and smaller state than NY or Cali though. I always tell people we're a liberal state done the right way. Many of our programs are designed to teach yourself to get out of poverty. They won't just give me money but they were happy to help get me off drugs. And now I'm enrolled in a program where the state is going to pay for me to learn to be an electrician, as I could never afford a trade school. It's one of the newer ones, designed to help people actually get a career and not just work shitty jobs the rest of their lives. It's basically the shit you said about breaking the poverty cycle. Can't afford education? The state will educate you! Don't speak English well? We'll teach you English for free too!  Transportation an issue? Vermont has you covered there too! Kids an issue? Guess what, we got free daycare for that too! Want a check handed to you for doing nothing? Tough shit because now you don't have an excuse. That's the problem with most other states' programs. Instead of tackling the obstacles, they just use them as excuses to keep the system shitty and broken the way they have it and pretend it needs to stay that way because otherwise people will starve to death. We built a pretty damn good road map for a better system once we stopped following the other states. And they have way bigger budgets than we do and a much larger pool of volunteers to work with. It can be done on a larger scale, the only real obstacle is the conservative types you seem to have lumped me in with that just oppose any kind of assistance (possibly because the losers left a bad taste in their mouths, I can't totally blame them for seeing it as a waste of money honestly). But most big cities are pretty blue so political opposition can't be that big an issue can it?

Alright sorry I promise I'm done with the politics. I get going on something I have a strong opinion about and never know when to stop. I wasn't really looking to debate but I can never seem to just let it go. My bad, really I just wanted to point out what a total fucking fraud Bernie is.

PhantomCatClock

maybe he doesn't want to give vermont any more political breathing room after all the canadians on the board heard you people say you have the best maple syrup in the world

VCRClock

Quote from: SpudClock on December 18, 2019, 08:12:18 AM
and you think I'm a conservative?
no, but conservatives also regularly demonize "losers who are just itching to take advantage." What I was looking for is "who are you talking about?" because I don't personally know anyone who
Quoteuse their benefits to score more dope.
so I didn't make the connection. I don't live next door to them, so I don't see it every day.

QuoteAnd when did I ever put any of it on immigrants?
Quotenot speaking english isn't the only financial/class obstacle out there, obviously, it's just a clear example
...of an obstacle to ever getting off government benefits.

QuoteI'm simply stating the mindset of the average Vermonter is nothing like that of a city-slicker.
for context purposes I'm from the NYC area. I probably also bristled at your initial post because the
Quotewhat might work for [Vermont] probably won't work for a huge country full of cities with losers
suggested to me that you thought the makeup of people that live in cities (in particular) would put undue stress on Bernienomics. And, I mean, when you're generalizing about "cities" you're talking about populations with high immigrant & minority populations (especially compared to, say, Maine), so you can't talk about one without the other. I'm not trying to call you a racist.

QuoteI'm not exaggerating one bit when I say everyone I know my age on welfare or EBT cash spends the money on horse or crack or both.
I believe you. That being said, it's not really the drug use profile of any of the places I've lived. I myself am not in a kind of socioeconomic pocket where I've got a lot of high school classmates getting arrested or killed over opiates or crack, but as far as I'm concerned, by the mid-90s or so, New York had "cleaned up" its crack problem substantially -- there was a time when you couldn't miss it, but I wasn't there.

QuoteNow imagine a giant city where there are way more of these losers, with a system too big...
Bureaucracy will fuck up wherever it exists, Bernie or no Bernie. But I trust cities to address issues like that on a local level. Cities deal with a lot of cases, so they get a lot of practice. If there's a way to cheat the system, believe that somebody who sees it every day is getting paid to close the loopholes.

QuoteThe decent people to loser ratio is much better here than it is in a city, where you see far more lazy people taking advantage with zero intent of ever getting off the benefits.
Okay, this is where I think you're saying something that can't be proven.

QuoteThe world would be full of astronauts, cowboys and princesses if everyone became what they aspired to be as kids. People grow up and some of them just become plain lazy.
This was my way of trying to say that I believe most people start out wanting to make it on their own. Being "lazy" and "coasting" is a second choice. The reason people revert to Plan B is because they can't find a Plan A that works for them. I'll concede that some people are just shitheads who can't adapt, but I also can't really blame people who get frustrated because they get old enough that they should be able to provide for themselves, but the jobs available to them all involve eating shit.

QuoteHe's from New York, and that's where he picked up his lazy ways.
Hey, me too!

I'm not trying to defend drug dealing as a profession, or collecting benefits he doesn't need (maybe they help him do his drug dealer taxes), but as far as I'm concerned, dealing drugs is a Plan A for some people -- as in, it's not "not working." It's glamorous, it makes money, and maybe most importantly, you don't need to start off with money in your life or a specific educational background to do it. You just have to worry about getting killed or imprisoned. Some people have shitty aspirations. Meanwhile, I think when you're born into money and have all the resources you need to land the kind of 9-5 that pays more than small time drug dealing would, without having to dodge the police, the dope man isn't the first person you want to be.

QuoteThis attitude is just far too prevalent in low income areas of large cities. I can't explain it, I don't know the how or the why, I know it's not everyone, but it is there and there's way too much of it.
Whether you like it or not, you're talking about big minority populations here. Bear with me, this may sound like a stretch, but: if you're black, it's likely that a couple branches up your family tree, someone wasn't making much money as a direct result of racism. If your grandma wasn't making much, your mom wasn't raised on much, and if your mom couldn't find a way to make more, then you weren't raised on much. Even if nobody you give your resume to is racist, if you don't have the background, you don't get the job. Your earning potential suffers. Fewer good Plan As, but you could probably still deal drugs if you think you're man enough. Obviously this isn't limited to black people -- you can be a poor white person with poor white ancestors, too. Poverty is multi-generational, and it's also cultural, i.e. how you try to make it is informed by who you know. Like you said, the guy you bought from probably grew up around people who told him not to suck anyone's dick 9-5, because their attitude was informed by their own obstacles to getting a fair deal. If the System screws you, you might be disinclined to play by its rules.

Is the attitude there? Yes. Is there way too much of it? Keep poor people poor, and there's gonna be more of the same.

QuoteVermont is a considerably smarter and smaller state than NY
:(

Quotevermont's doing a bunch of cool shit for me
genuinely glad to hear this!

QuoteWe built a pretty damn good road map for a better system once we stopped following the other states.
Yeah to be honest there's a lot of shit that needs to be worked out on a local level. And I mean, even if Bernie Sanders became President, there's so much shit that he wouldn't be able to do anyway because checks and balances and all that.

Basically I'm just drinking the Kool-Aid because I'm trying to get somebody who's, like, pissed about wealth distribution and wants to hemorrhage a shit ton of money paying for people's degrees, but somebody who is also not secretly a status quo defending, moderate-ass Democrat or a war hawk. I voted for Jill Stein once so I'm certifiably insane
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

first of all, vcrclock is a communist agitator

and secondly, everyone from vermont is a fentanyl addicted nazi

even the black people. especially them. but especially vcrclock.