News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Post your drawings

Farted by Topcatyo, July 17, 2018, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topcatyo

I just did a drawing for the conceptart.org Character Design challenge (they told me not to focus on the background, so that's my excuse why it sucks).

But uh, everyone post drawings you've done recently.

Conceptart.org character design

Calvin and Hobbes

RobClock

RenegadeClock

zl

Topcatyo

Rob:
========
Nice drawings. I like the cartoony style of the Gandalf drawing, although I think the smoke from his pipe doesn't entirely come off clearly as smoke, even after I know it's supposed to be smoke. You could probably fix that by going in and strategically filling in the blacks around the shape of the smoke.  I would recommend going back and trying to fill in the background more completely, because it's the only thing really holding back this drawing from looking like an actual complete thing instead of just a sketch, because it looks really nice.  If you can't blend the background effectively, I would recommend picking a shape for the shadow to cut off that makes a pleasant frame around Gandalf.

For the face drawing, it looks good.  You are pretty good at making good confident lines with the marker, so I think that's a medium you should definitely play around with.  I would recommend trying to get like, different blending markers like Copics or the like and playing around with them and trying to make pictures with those tools, I think you might end up really enjoying yourself.

Topcatyo

Renegade:
========
I hate drawing bikes so the fact that the bike you drew looks so much like an actual bike is supposed to is impressive to me.  Makes me think I should go and practice some bikes. Something about the perspective on the pedals looks like it's off, but those are also the hardest part to probably get right from that view.

For the guy smashing the thing, that head view always gives me trouble.  I think his chin would jut out just a little more from that view, and the vertical spacing between his eyes and nose would be more squashed as it foreshortens.

Renegade clock pictures are charming. Love that little dude. I think the shading in the pic with him and the telephone makes the picture look really nice and clean.

The picture of the dude about to enter the place is really solid.  His feet are pretty long, but you drew with what looks like micron so that's a hard think to fix once you look at it and make the realization, which you probably did.  You could always use like a rock texture of some kind to cover it up, or just mess with it in Photoshop if you wanted to.

Topcatyo

Zombie Lincoln:
============
Cool picture.  I wonder if there might be more drama in the scene if we knew what the dead friend died of, or if there were some sort of indication of an injury. I love what you did with the background.  It's very clean and I have such a hard time drawing forest scenes without everything just looking busy, whereas yours conveys the scene beautifully but feels like a forest would in that picture.  The lighting has a very small but effective light source shining on the creatures, I wonder if maybe some rays poking through the tree leaves onto the scene might help punch of the lighting, as well.

JambaClock

RobClock

Your kind words about two drawings I put absolutely no thought or effort into roused me to go back and fill in the background for Gandalf as you suggested

https://my.mixtape.moe/vmshoy.jpeg

It still doesn’t read to me as a finished piece rather than a sketch because of the marker that bled through from the previous page being very visible in the beard. The marker also completely died in the process of filling in the page and I think you can tell pretty clearly which is annoying

Topcatyo

Hey! I'm glad you went back and gave the picture another shot!

While you were right, the picture still didn't come off as a complete work, I think if you were to modify it a little in Photoshop, you can make some nice adjustments to it.
Either way, it's a cool pic.  I'd say the thing to work on most with that picture is the smoke.  Smoke is hard, but getting it right really makes all the difference.

RobClock

That’s rad, I was actually thinking while I was filling the background I wish I had done it in black. I usually leave smoke as negative space with an outline but I wanted to distinguish it from Gandalf since his torso and sleeves aren’t shaded with hatching or whatever. Didn’t work out as hoped but it’s all learning experience, right?