News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Creative / Inspiring / Unique Games

Farted by SirClock, September 07, 2018, 05:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirClock

HEY

So this last year I started playing video games again and have been checking out what the indie market has to offer. Really brilliant stuff! So I've played through Journey, Flow and those games...  What Remains of Edith Finch I thought was exceptional.. I just finished Fez and have been loving Everything developed by the brilliant David OReily (because as it turns out, even prodigys can't make money doing animation).

Really, 'Everything' is a fantastic concept and gave me a boost of faith in humanity. The subtle and brilliant way the game sends its profound message turns what a video game can be on its head. It shows a game can actually be psychologically healthy in a tangible way. What Remains of Edit Finch is a detective-esq exploratory game with very rich and detailed environments. After playing the game I would notice and appreciate the detail in my surrounding environment with a more telescopic eye in the way you are basically trained to view things through the game.

Have you played any inspiring, unique or creative games?

Slurpee

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Custer's Revenge is a psycho-spiritual tour de force reinventing the digital interactive zeitgeist through joystick based gender exploration turning conceptual cyber semantics on it's head. through the sexual awakening of crt television we are able to peer into the substrata of neocapitalist nihilism and find our inner custer within moments of beginning the first screen of interactive gameplay. deftly weaving through metaphorical arrows of elemental masculinity like so many stars falling from the sky to bring us semantic truth taking inspiration from cyberreality based digital appropriations like Sunset and but alsoa via virtual deappropriation of pre native american culture we see the truth of the gangster police state using all of the deadly gangster frankensteinc ontrols in 1965 cia lock legion gangster police beat me bloodily dragged me in chains from kennedy ny airport since then I hide in forced jobless povery isolated alone in this low deadly clocktopia old house the brazen deadly gangster poolice and clock crew japanese game developer puppet underlings spray me with poison nervve gas froma automobile exhausts and even lawn mowers deadly assaults even in my yard with dildo bricks and asdstones even deadly tough tabi or electric shockf lash light even remotely controlled arffsadound corners trajection of deadlfy touch tarantual spiders or even bloody murder accidents to shut me up forever can i drive real talk though flow was really fucking good and so was journey but  flower was just an overblown tech demo its the only one i didnt bother doing everything in i think there was some sort of extra plant you could unlock with a snaeak undetectable exterminmation even with trained puppeting parrot assassassassins  in maximum security insanity prison for writing these unforgivable truthful letters in shit on the wall with shit crayons  i stand alone against lifelon g sworn cumspirators murder organized crime frankenstein radio controls gayngster communistt YOU

Slurpee

ok so real talk I actually love indie games probably too much, and I'm going to go off-off-broadway with my first recommendation: wet gamin's spectacularly odd RABBIT GAME, a food chain simulator cum existential nightmare. you take on a myriad of shifting roles (usually from being devoured by whatever you'll play as next) through an endless cycle of life and death through the many inhabitants of a strange, disjointed forest, crudely depicted with hastily scrawled bitmaps floating in what turns out to be a bewilderingly large and labyrinthian 3-dimensional collage. (screenshots unfortunately do not do it justice.) your journey, navigated by wiggling your mouse to progress the camera on rails and clicking on things (or carefully avoiding them to see what lies beyond), is narrated in something approaching poetic free verse which is, at turns, simple and childlike, endearingly goofy, irreverent, callously sardonic, or viscerally unsettling

it runs free in your browser, and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for some truly outside the box shit. this is video games as jodorowski by way of harmony korine. it's raw, and inaccessible, and sweeping in scope, and completely unapologetic, and I thought about it for days after I played it (at least play until you meet the moles. if you're not intrigued after that, fie)

unfortunately, most of the other games I've tried on wet gamin's site are not nearly as memorable, the low-effort production often being more of a juvenile veil of protective cynicism than a vehicle for outsider expression. ILLEGAL CRIME GAME is pretty funny though

zl

I wouldn't recommend it without a friend at your side, but playing through La Mulana was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. It's an Indiana-Jones-esque exploration of an ancient ruin, where the challenging action-platforming is just the dressing on top of a extremely difficult set of puzzles. I ended up with pages of notes marking bizarre locations, translating a language, interpreting symbols, and piecing together the clues and mythology of the place. My friend and I never consulted a guide, which led to stretches of hours roaming through the ruins, revisiting old clues and testing out theories.

Running back and forth for hours without making any progress isn't fun. But that's the reason to take notes, to stay observant, and to basically wake up from the stupor of modern gaming's accessibility. Every time we solved a puzzle, found a boss, or triggered some obscure event, it felt immensely rewarding. And we kept getting surprised by the level of effort, art, and special coding that went into the late game encounters, because it can't be more than 5% of the players who get that far! Actually, let me check.

We actually started a second run of the game simultaneously to revisit the early game, because when we started, we were ignoring a lot of the clues, because is there any video game where that actually matters? La Mulana is that game.

The end result is a game where you actually feel like an archaeologist/explorer/historian. Learning the history of the ruins - which is a garbled amalgamation of many myths - felt like a triumph.

We're playing through the sequel now, which just released last month, and loving it. I'm out of the house right now but when I get back I'll post the sweet notebook we put together to chart our exploration.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

There's already a la mulana 2? shit I haven't even started the first one yet. it's been sitting on my steam library for years. the way you describe it reminds me of metroid prime, not in gameplay but in feel.though that game had more biology focus too. god I loved scanning every little thing and learning about the flora and fauna of the world and reading about chozo culture. shit's awesome. I got a similar feeling from mega man legends but there's not as much lore when you're in the ruins, but I've never had an experience quite seeing a centuries long abandoned futuristic underground city for the first time in mml1.

SirClock

Recent:
Gorogoa - Beautiful (Everything from Annapurna Interactive is gold)
INSIDE - Great indie game, brilliant unspoken story
The Talos Principal - Cool concept boring as fuck game after a couple hours
Firewatch - Ok but boring as it sounds
Hylics - The closest thing to a DXM trip
Proetus - tiny little meditative game

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: SirClock on January 13, 2019, 04:27:04 PMThe Talos Principal - Cool concept boring as fuck game after a couple hours
aw hell I played the first bit of that game and thought what I played was great. guess I wont bother going back to play the rest of it any time soon then.

zl

Quote from: Slurpee on September 08, 2018, 02:10:14 AM
ok so real talk I actually love indie games probably too much, and I'm going to go off-off-broadway with my first recommendation: wet gamin's spectacularly odd RABBIT GAME, a food chain simulator cum existential nightmare. you take on a myriad of shifting roles (usually from being devoured by whatever you'll play as next) through an endless cycle of life and death through the many inhabitants of a strange, disjointed forest, crudely depicted with hastily scrawled bitmaps floating in what turns out to be a bewilderingly large and labyrinthian 3-dimensional collage. (screenshots unfortunately do not do it justice.) your journey, navigated by wiggling your mouse to progress the camera on rails and clicking on things (or carefully avoiding them to see what lies beyond), is narrated in something approaching poetic free verse which is, at turns, simple and childlike, endearingly goofy, irreverent, callously sardonic, or viscerally unsettling

it runs free in your browser, and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for some truly outside the box shit. this is video games as jodorowski by way of harmony korine. it's raw, and inaccessible, and sweeping in scope, and completely unapologetic, and I thought about it for days after I played it (at least play until you meet the moles. if you're not intrigued after that, fie)

unfortunately, most of the other games I've tried on wet gamin's site are not nearly as memorable, the low-effort production often being more of a juvenile veil of protective cynicism than a vehicle for outsider expression. ILLEGAL CRIME GAME is pretty funny though

when will it ennnnd

Slurpee

Quote from: zl on January 30, 2019, 11:18:37 AM

when will it ennnnd
when I was writing that post, I almost mentioned this, but then I was like "no... the pure of heart will learn it for themselves"

I think that's close to the cap though
I don't remember where I topped off and actually do not know if I found everything there was to be found. if I did, there isn't a pot of gold at the end. it's all very cyclical.
I took every path I could think of (getting to play as the moles felt like quite a coup) but at some point I realized you can activate objects in the distant background, which seems like a mistake, but would also be an excellent place to hide something

zl

Quote from: Slurpee on January 31, 2019, 11:35:11 PM
Quote from: zl on January 30, 2019, 11:18:37 AM

when will it ennnnd
when I was writing that post, I almost mentioned this, but then I was like "no... the pure of heart will learn it for themselves"

I think that's close to the cap though
I don't remember where I topped off and actually do not know if I found everything there was to be found. if I did, there isn't a pot of gold at the end. it's all very cyclical.
I took every path I could think of (getting to play as the moles felt like quite a coup) but at some point I realized you can activate objects in the distant background, which seems like a mistake, but would also be an excellent place to hide something

I stopped at 40:

I liked learning to fly as a bird. It was strangely fulfilling to fly around and see all the paths I had taken before. I still wonder if there's any way to disrupt the cannibal king...

I also finished Illegal Crime Game. I can't comment on it, as a condition of my parole.