News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Help

Farted by KarkasmolenKlok, December 15, 2018, 01:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarkasmolenKlok

I don't know what's funny and I can't keep up the pretense of curmudgeonly elitist aloofness for not knowing what things are. I'm too old and lame to know what's memetic gold and what is acid-hot internet butt vomit.

Can we hire a team of greased-up nubile manservants to determine this prior to consumption so I don't have to stay in touch with the filthy youth
Quote from: Slurpee on December 11, 2018, 12:48:14 AM
no soap on earth can cleanse you of us fewel

JambaClock

9/11 jokes always seem to crack me up

PhonographClock

I think this should answer everything.

zl

KarkasmolenKlok

I've laughed at yeet do I have to leave

Slurpee

Quote from: zl on December 15, 2018, 10:41:25 AM

gen z's humor is very advanced and im proud of them

VCRClock

Quote from: wavy gravy on December 15, 2018, 02:40:10 AM
Kids also seem to think wallowing in self-pity and self-destructive behavior, acknowledging their mostly self-imposed depression through thinly-veiled, or not-even-veiled-at-all, memes and posts is the funniest shit in the world.

I wouldn't say the depression is self imposed, but I would say it's exaggerated both for comic effect and, in a memetic way, to make it easily recognizable and unambiguous:

I really think the meme machine and people who would admit to some form of depression, or at least a feeling of bare minimum subsistence and not really going anywhere with their lives, have never been far apart. There's obviously crossover between people who want to distract themselves from their biggest challenges and unpleasantries and people who spend hours scrolling through memes, but perhaps it's only recently that meme culture at large has hit upon this, too, as "relatable content." Consider that just a few years ago, we were here:

It's also telling that when you go through meme accounts on Instagram, you'll see that account admins often use the captions to share some relatively mundane update about their daily lives. Look through the comments and you'll see plenty of people begging for followers. Those people are all looking for people to acknowledge or care about them, even though it's not their authentic selves they're presenting. I think there's a reason for that, too.

Someone sent me this interesting interview with Olivia Jaimes, the new artist taking over the "Nancy" comic strip, and this bit stuck out to me:

QuoteOkay, so, yeah, I wanna talk more about this with you because I think you’re really onto something. There’s this thing in webcomics: #relatable. And #relatable can be used as a slur. To be like, “Uh, your comic is pandering to people.” ... So, there’s the camp of #relatable, which is like, “I’m the worst person: I can’t stop eating bread,” or “I can’t get out of bed,” and like, Nancy is that, but then she’s also like, “So what?” The kind of self-hating type that often comes with relatable comics. The self-hating part that often comes with #relatable comics is being like, “Ohhhh, I procrastinated, I’m the worst.” And “Nancy” adds one more panel to that, being like, “Who cares? I don’t care. More corn bread for me.”

I don't think it's a new phenomenon that depressed people tend to write humor where depression is the punchline, and there's no solution offered. They can't think of one, duh, that's why they're depressed. It does seem new to me that, perhaps because there's less stigma about mental health issues these days, people are willing to embrace depression as a permanent part of their personality or identity -- describing themselves as a "sadboy" or "sadgirl" or something, or buying into fashion that literally expresses some variation on "I sure have problems lol." Obviously this goes hand in hand with acting like your depression is not something you can do anything about. I'm reminded of some comic I read, which I'm [Arthur fist] I can't find, where one character sees another wearing a shirt or button or something that says something to the tune of "I'm a sad person," and they're like "nooo don't embrace your depression I did that shit in my 20s and I totally regret it."

I hope that as our culture evolves, we can move past a natural inclination to feel sorry for ourselves (does anyone read vcrclock posts? hi) and be less deterministic (astrology much???) about how much we have to feel the way we do, using some means less stupid than "you are enough!!!" platitudes that don't ring true for people stuck in a rut.
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I blame Pictures of Sad Children reposts. He didnt invent this or anything but I still blame him for it. anyways nice popst vcr.

AbsintheClock

Buy me a pizza you assholes.

AbsintheClock

Suck my dick and buy me a pizza.

VCRClock

Quote from: wavy gravy on December 15, 2018, 07:23:11 PM
self-identification with misery and helplessness, as well as constant reinforcements of negative self-image.

Yeah, the self-identification and lack of positive progress was what I was trying to get at.

No doubt it's one of the internet's echo chambers. I don't even want to get into talking about incels 'cause I'm on my phone, but in short that's an easily accessible whirlpool with some really fucked up people at the bottom.
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.

KarkasmolenKlok

1. Fie upon you miserable bastards for being in touch and having insights on this that have some depth.

2. I have noticed that the stigmata around depression has changed, and that some flaunting of that has become fashionable  (wait we did that and called it emo you damn kids!  *shakes cane*). But I will admit it's...different. I guess it's a bit subtler and more personal and self-deprecating?

Quote from: VCRClock(does anyone read vcrclock posts? hi)

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

also that one gunshow comic with the dog's house on fire. it kinda became the archetypal sadmeme. though it's a bit more subtle than the later "hahaha I'm so ironic lol I'm depressed but I'm cool and light about it ahaha oh god please help me retweet my edit of an edit of an edit I'm so alone there's people everywhere #oof #yikes"

VCRClock

Quote from: KarkasmolenKlok on December 15, 2018, 10:17:02 PM
2. I have noticed that the stigmata around depression

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on December 15, 2018, 11:20:39 PM
also that one gunshow comic with the dog's house on fire. it kinda became the archetypal sadmeme. though it's a bit more subtle than the later "hahaha I'm so ironic lol I'm depressed but I'm cool and light about it ahaha oh god please help me retweet my edit of an edit of an edit I'm so alone there's people everywhere #oof #yikes"

It's kind of funny how that comic became a full blown zeitgeist thing when Trump got elected, if not a little earlier. Your post reminds me of stuff I see in this format:

but most of the time the letters of the acronym don't stand for anything at all, and its meaning is totally unrelated, possibly still something self-deprecating. Or memes that are like "no seriously I've lost control of my life this isn't a meme help." You're right that a lot of people have a tendency to be "cool and light about it," like "I'm cool enough to be hip to suffering, but I'm in control enough to be joking about it and not be in really dire straits life just kinda sucks ok." It's kind of weird that there's this eternal relationship between mopiness and "cool," but I guess it's just another presentation that people use to distance themselves from people they don't get along with. Which is not to say that I think people are usually faking it or blowing it that far out of proportion. Honestly it's probably also a smart/educated/upper class affectation. I think the archetypical fuck-up high school Facebook friend would be much more likely to post an actual frustrated sob story, if that, than a detached self-deprecating soft depression meme. Like fuck your ennui, I'm tryna put food on the table and get outdoors when I can.

also all of my memories of pfsc are completely overshadowed by john campbell's self-important kickstarter meltdown and subsequent disappearance, which, uh, might be what they'd have wanted

Slurpee

this isn't new
remember "fuck this gay earth"?
literally the exact same meaning behind that, except our version was kind of homophobic for no reason

it's an expression of numb exasperation and learned helplessness over the shit ass world they're inheriting and their powerlessness to do anything to improve it
if that doesn't sound familiar to you, when did you turn 60?

it might be negative, but at least it's honest

KarkasmolenKlok

Quote from: Slurpee on December 16, 2018, 03:24:16 AM
this isn't new
literally the exact same meaning behind that, except our version was kind of homophobic for no reason
I thought the reason was because it sounded ridiculous but also that we're a bunch of crappy edgelords?

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: VCRClock on December 16, 2018, 01:05:16 AMalso all of my memories of pfsc are completely overshadowed by john campbell's self-important kickstarter meltdown and subsequent disappearance, which, uh, might be what they'd have wanted
I still think that whole thing was intentional, or at least he felt he HAD to destroy himself. Regardless, it was an entertaining spectacle and I'm glad I didn't give him any money lol.

Quote from: Slurpee on December 16, 2018, 03:24:16 AM
this isn't new

it's an expression of numb exasperation and learned helplessness over the shit ass world they're inheriting and their powerlessness to do anything to improve it
if that doesn't sound familiar to you, when did you turn 60?

it might be negative, but at least it's honest

it's less honest than fuck this gay earth. fuck this gay earth is a pretty straightforward sentiment it just sounds funny and irreverent. all this other stuff we've been talking about is dancing and skirting around being honest even though the true emotions are plain to see. though I guess that's not new either. and if you're barely veiling it by being meta/cool/whatever and that's part of the joke does it count as actually veiling your emotions? maybe that's just as honest idk.

I'm not opposed to it existing, and the general sentiment is as old as dirt you're right. I've laughed at shit like this myself. but it just repeats itself so much it gets exhausting. meme stuff in general was always like that but it stagnates so much faster now, and since it's all still building on stuff that came before it never feels new to begin with.

Quote from: wavy gravy on December 16, 2018, 03:55:27 AM
Yeah, but that's just one phrase, or one comic in the case of the dog. What I'm saying is that it's that kind of thing, in many different instances, over and over, being consumed relentlessly.

Maybe I am an old fart and things are going as they always have. I just don't remember such a depth of bleakness and a seeming obsession over it.
it was there a bit just never quite this deep. I think it's a gradual thing with one guy one upping another guy's clever sadpost repeatedly and over time you get yourself a culture of sadness. if there's two things the internet really tries to hammer in to people nowadays, it's sad culture and outrage culture. you are worthless, don't hope for your own life because larger things suck. the enemy on that other website is evil, but dont step out of line or else you're a leftist conservative pro-skub satan worshipper.

Slurpee

well, speaking as the bright, sturdy little empathetic center of my social circle, I just see a lot of people  with a lot of perfectly legitimate reasons to genuinely feel pretty despondent lately and I think what you're seeing is them finding comfort and solidarity in being open about it
yeah, they're having a laugh about it, but the laugh is at the expense of the presumption that they owe the world a charade of contentment

sometimes you just want to lie down on the floor and call yourself a sloppy witless disaster slut and it doesn't mean you're never going to get up again and you don't need dad to tell you to get off the floor and you don't need mom to tell you you're not a disaster slut you just need to know that somebody else understands and you're not alone and you're not crazy

KarkasmolenKlok

"Crazy" is a very loaded word. Yes calling someone who feels despondent or depressed "crazy" is pretty damn irresponsible and callous.

But maybe it's not unreasonable to wonder if perhaps it's unhealthy. Shit, I hope I'm not falling into a trap of aging in this mentality.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: Slurpee on December 16, 2018, 03:24:10 PM
well, speaking as the bright, sturdy little empathetic center of my social circle, I just see a lot of people  with a lot of perfectly legitimate reasons to genuinely feel pretty despondent lately and I think what you're seeing is them finding comfort and solidarity in being open about it
yeah, they're having a laugh about it, but the laugh is at the expense of the presumption that they owe the world a charade of contentment

sometimes you just want to lie down on the floor and call yourself a sloppy witless disaster slut and it doesn't mean you're never going to get up again and you don't need dad to tell you to get off the floor and you don't need mom to tell you you're not a disaster slut you just need to know that somebody else understands and you're not alone and you're not crazy
there has never been a time in human history when there weren't perfectly legitimate reasons to be despondent about the world.  you've got a point about finding solidarity with other people feeling the same way, that's honestly a great way to deal with those feelings. but I just dislike when it's reinforced that you HAVE to be sad or there's no other option, or even that it's the default state of life. You shouldn't have to be happy and sane 100% of the time, that's impossible, even when life is going great, but if you wallow in that shit too long and too vigorously you're just gonna end up with sadness as a basic element of your personality. outright identify as a sad person. that worries me, I was too harsh in my last post but I don't want people to live their lives to be sad. go be sad. go be angry. they're essential aspects of the human experience. but get drunk on it and don't let it ruin you. not you specifically but people in general. that's the main thing I wanna say. 

also I cant read the word "disaster slut" with a straight face. that's a good phrase you got there.

Quote from: KarkasmolenKlok on December 16, 2018, 05:28:29 PM
"Crazy" is a very loaded word. Yes calling someone who feels despondent or depressed "crazy" is pretty damn irresponsible and callous.

But maybe it's not unreasonable to wonder if perhaps it's unhealthy. Shit, I hope I'm not falling into a trap of aging in this mentality.
I am honestly scared of getting less crazy and more stable as I age. It's already happening. very disappointing. Maybe I'm not consuming and creating enough strange media like I used.