Author Topic: Hereditary  (Read 496 times)

BlackberryClock

• Official Clock
    • Newgrounds: blackberry-clock
  • For having submitted at least 10 animations Clock Day 2002 Participant Clock Day 2003 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hereditary
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »
I watched Hereditary last night, and oh boy was I not expecting that. I saw the trailers for this movie last year. They seemed to bill it as a traditional teen horror movie. Having watched it now, I don't know how you could successfully market this movie. Duping teens into going into what they think will be a jump-scare-laden slasher flick is probably they best way to get a return on your investment. But it is not that. And the hilarious 1-star Amazon reviews given credence to my thought that this movie was not a all what most viewers were expecting. And most did not know how to take or deal with it.

This movie is pure pain. They suspense is very intense. The family discord is physically unsettling. The violence is quick and unforgiving. It hurt to watch this.

It is a very well made film. The cinematography is beautiful. The symbology and psychological aspects are rich, with a lot of depth, encouraging thought and analysis long after it's over. It reminds me of the other A24 release, The Witch, which I also felt was a very well made, almost art-film style of horror. I like this type of horror movie.

Give it a go and tell me what you think.

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
  • Ghosts: 1
    • Newgrounds: PhantomCat
  • For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood For winning flash of the month Clock Day 2019 Participant Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations Clock Day 2012 Participant Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Participation in Fifen This Movie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hereditary
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »
hereditary is a fun word to say but I don't think I've ever seen it written down, before

BlackberryClock

• Official Clock
  • For having submitted at least 10 animations Clock Day 2002 Participant Clock Day 2003 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:56:33 PM »
hereditary is a fun word to say but I don't think I've ever seen it written down, before
I hear it's also a movie! Movies are also fun.

Slurpee

• I sure xylophone do I xylophone
  • Official Clock
  • Slurpee Posts: 3522
  • Clock Day 2019 Participant One of the beautiful people Clock Day 2017 Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Pass The Cash Participant For winning flash of the month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 02:51:34 AM »
saw it in the theater
the scene after the... well, that scene. you know the one.
I kept expecting it to cut away, and then I was begging for it to cut away, and then I gave up on it ever cutting away. excruciating. I can't think of a single other filmmaker who wouldn't just cut for god's sake! the important stuff has happened! we feel bad enough, you brute!

I ended up really liking the movie, but that scene has grown to gargantuan proportions in my memory. not to say it wasn't bold and effective, and really a small (if significant) part of a larger film with a lot more going on– I'm really fascinated by, among other things, the compositing of the live shots with the miniatures, both thematically and in terms of how it was accomplished– but idk if I could sit through it again. I could easily see myself seriously contemplating a rewatch, thinking about that scene, and deciding to just watch The VVitch again instead. The VVitch has a similar lingering and oppressive sense of dread, but it never made me sick to my stomach. that scene, FUCK.

and for those who haven't seen it, it's... well, it's not a gore thing, put it that way.
it's more like all the most horribly awkward moments from The Office rolled up into a single stiff punch to the liver.

GreyClock

• Master of Arts
  • Official Clock
    • Newgrounds: GreyClock
  • Clock Day 2019 Participant Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant Clock Day 2003 Participant For winning flash of the month For having submitted at least 100 animations Clock Day 2014 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2006 Participant Clock Day 2005 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
Does it have any jump scares though? I hate jump scares... If it's good ol' building up of tension to whatever that scene is, I'm game.

I also though I might do a joke along the lines of:
"Haemophilia?"
"Hereditary, my dear Watson."
But I decided against it.

Slurpee

• I sure xylophone do I xylophone
  • Official Clock
  • Slurpee Posts: 3522
  • Clock Day 2019 Participant One of the beautiful people Clock Day 2017 Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Pass The Cash Participant For winning flash of the month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »
I only saw it once so I can't swear to it, but no, I don't think there were any jumpscares. there were times when shit gets a little wild but it always felt earned

e: full disclosure, while I get why jumpscares annoy people, they don't usually take me out a movie and I'm liable to not really notice them unless it's the only trick the movie has. in the IT remake, for instance, I didn't notice the preponderance of jump scares until somebody pointed it out. and I'm a total mark for james wan, which some people might count as jump scare-y, idk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:29:59 PM by Slurpee »

BlackberryClock

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 05:58:45 PM »
saw it in the theater
the scene after the... well, that scene. you know the one.
I kept expecting it to cut away, and then I was begging for it to cut away, and then I gave up on it ever cutting away. excruciating. I can't think of a single other filmmaker who wouldn't just cut for god's sake! the important stuff has happened! we feel bad enough, you brute!

I ended up really liking the movie, but that scene has grown to gargantuan proportions in my memory. not to say it wasn't bold and effective, and really a small (if significant) part of a larger film with a lot more going on– I'm really fascinated by, among other things, the compositing of the live shots with the miniatures, both thematically and in terms of how it was accomplished– but idk if I could sit through it again. I could easily see myself seriously contemplating a rewatch, thinking about that scene, and deciding to just watch The VVitch again instead. The VVitch has a similar lingering and oppressive sense of dread, but it never made me sick to my stomach. that scene, FUCK.

and for those who haven't seen it, it's... well, it's not a gore thing, put it that way.
it's more like all the most horribly awkward moments from The Office rolled up into a single stiff punch to the liver.
Agree. I don't know if I could (would want to) watch it again, but it was a really well-made movie that had me thinking about it long after it was done.

The parts that are so excruciating aren't the horror/supernatural bits, but the unforgivingly tragic bits. I think that's mostly because you can see yourself "there." Ain't no one levitating at you in real life. But... that scene. Yeah, something with similar consequences has happened to real-life people, and that is just... devastating. His reaction, subsequent actions, and her screams of anguish were stuff of realistic nightmares.

Does it have any jump scares though? I hate jump scares... If it's good ol' building up of tension to whatever that scene is, I'm game.

I also though I might do a joke along the lines of:
"Haemophilia?"
"Hereditary, my dear Watson."
But I decided against it.
It's not a jump scare movie really. The scary stuff is usually on screen but hidden (and it doesn't jump out but you eventually notice it's there) or slightly off screen but you know it's there.

Not "haha, that got me but this is silly and fun" but "oh boy this is non-stop cruel in a way that causes me psychological pain"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:01:52 PM by BlackberryClock »