News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Can we get this old theme back?

Farted by SpinningCubeClock, March 28, 2019, 05:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpinningCubeClock

I will pay someone to get this working again

hello

VCRClock

can you pay at least $15/hr, 40 hours a week? with benefits? indefinitely?
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

NintendrCkolc

Quote from: SpinningCubeClock on March 28, 2019, 05:39:04 PM
I will pay someone to get this working again

Dude I've been barking up this tree for years. I'd do it myself if I had any idea of what I was doing. Not enough of us are active for anybody to really put in the work I guess? I would donate some money for sure to make it happen though.

VCRClock

n.b. this is something that several people have once decided to take on as a passion project, and subsequently abandoned, probably because it's high effort/low payoff, if not that there's pretty much always something more personally fulfilling to work on than skinning a forum 14 years past it's prime

w/r/t money, my personal stance is that money still probably wouldn't motivate me to spend the few hours I'm awake and not at work working on this instead of something I care about
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.

JambaClock

RobClock

I've offered many times to pay someone to make a forum skin for this place. It doesnt have to ape one of the old ones, just something that isn't this god awful default SMF thing that makes us look like a three member spin off group with their own invisionfree board. That ended with the .cc domain getting a half baked custom forum build that was subsequently abandoned and the domain lost to limbo.

As VCR said, it's hard to reasonably expect someone to pour hours into a complex project when we're all grown ass adults these days with our own soul crushing responsibilities to attend to. I do think that something less blase would be hugely beneficial to the forum/community because I can't possibly imagine young aspiring artists to take the site seriously when it looks like this, but that's just the way it is for the time being.

NintendrCkolc

At this point I'd almost just settle for a "midnight" theme or a dark/blue/black. Nothing fancy. Just dark like my asshole.

VCRClock

Quote from: RobClock on March 28, 2019, 10:27:39 PM
I can't possibly imagine young aspiring artists to take the site seriously when it looks like this
tbh the place to be a young aspiring artist is on centralized social media where it's possible to discover people

RobClock

Quote from: VCRClock on March 29, 2019, 10:52:33 AM
I can't possibly imagine young aspiring artists to take the site seriously when it looks like this
tbh the place to be a young aspiring artist is on centralized social media where it's possible to discover people
Call me old fashioned but I think there is a benefit to a dedicated website for people to share their work with like minded people for the purposes of self improvement before you reach the point of wanting to start sharing things in the social media sphere. Places like DA, tumblr, and NG are designed to fascilitate that kind of thing, but due to their size it’s like YouTube where most are liable to never get any kind of feedback or connect with the user base at large. Here, with how tightly knit the community is, someone sharing something is practically guaranteed some degree of interaction, even at the height of however many years ago. Maybe it’s nostalgia talking (probably) but I don’t think the Clock Crew has outlived it’s usefulness, though there’s little denying our relevancy is mostly historic, for lack of a better term.

PhantomCatClock

I have the old theme assets somewhere (looked and can't find themâ€"hook me up again, veece?) and was gonna locally host a copy of this current forum software then fiddle around until I got it to work, but then I bitched out by being a little bitch

VCRClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on March 29, 2019, 11:55:25 AM
I have the old theme assets somewhere (looked and can't find them—hook me up again, veec
replied to 11-month-old email chain, look for it :duelin:

e?) and was gonna locally host a copy of this current forum software then fiddle around until I got it to work, but then I bitched out by being a little bitch
I told y'all.

PhantomCatClock

Quote from: VCRClock on March 30, 2019, 02:19:42 AM
replied to 11-month-old email chain, look for it :duelin:

how could i have forgotten that i needed to be looking for a random ass chinese spam email address

VCRClock

as long as they think I'm one of them, they won't bother me

SpinningCubeClock

I have the old theme assets somewhere (looked and can't find themâ€"hook me up again, veece?) and was gonna locally host a copy of this current forum software then fiddle around until I got it to work, but then I bitched out by being a little bitch
Ok well if you're willing to do this I can throw some money/help your way if you'd like??????
hello

PhantomCatClock

i need neither but i do like money solely because i'm a greedy pigdog

progress: i went over to my backpack and found the raspberry pi that has apache on it. it is now plugged in and on the local network. haven't gotten around to installing this current forum software on it but this is probably the fastest progress i've made on a clock crew project in years

SpinningCubeClock

hello

NintendrCkolc

PhantomCatClock

I actually turned that off yesterday and something along the lines on "why are there two fucking pis plugged in and this one isn't even doing anything"

this is the person you're counting on. give it a few months, hopefully I'll have something better than "hey I actually tried now but it turned out it was really hard/impossible so nevermind" but i'll definitely have something

Marlin Clock

I do think that something less blase would be hugely beneficial to the forum/community because I can't possibly imagine young aspiring artists to take the site seriously when it looks like this, but that's just the way it is for the time being.
Wait we're supposed to be taken seriously?

YoYoClock

I can't believe that back then some of the more talented coders/designers among us would spend days/weeks/months sometimes piecing these skins and other large projects together. Most of the time people just complained as well.

by Thor + Satellite

Quote from: pop-tart clock;1905428I think yoyo is the best one.