News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

The Dreamcast is 20 years old now

Farted by JambaClock, September 09, 2019, 01:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JambaClock

RobClock

I only ever had one friend who had a Dreamcast and I was insanely jealous of it. They seem hard to come by these days, at least locally, but with the relative ease of piracy for the system I’d still love to get my hands on one

NintendrCkolc

Quote from: RobClock on September 09, 2019, 07:30:49 PM
I only ever had one friend who had a Dreamcast and I was insanely jealous of it. They seem hard to come by these days, at least locally, but with the relative ease of piracy for the system I’d still love to get my hands on one

You could probably get one off ebay pretty easily. They're OK.

Honestly I want to love the dreamcast but there's only a handful of games that I've managed to really enjoy on it. Shenmue is cool from a tech perspective, but the gameplay is a CHORE. Soul Caliber holds up decently but it doesn't have the WOW factor that it originally had. MVC2 is a gem but the dreamcast controller makes it a limited experience. Jet Set Radio has a cult following but I never found it to be that compelling. Crazy taxi is super fun but gets old fast. Sonic adventure 1 and 2 both aged like milk despite some fond memories of both.

I understand why people hold the console in such high regard, but I actually think I prefer the Saturn. Yeah, I SAID IT.

RobClock

For all the shit the original Xbox got from its massive brick of a controller, the Dreamcast has easily one of the most uncomfortable, large and ugly gamepads of any system. However the extremely rare fightstick paired with a copy of Third Strike? Now there’s something to drool over

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I used to think the dreamcast was just sonic adventure jet set radio shenmue power stone and some enhanced ps1 ports, but there's this whole world of games I never knew about till years after the console died.  here's my todolist of games if you're curious. any of these games besides the large ones can be burned to a cd and played on an unmodified console because there's no real copy protection on the console.

Bangai o
    Berserk
    Blue Stinger
    Border Down
    Carrier
    ChuChu Rocket!
    Cool Cool Toon
    Cosmic Smash
    Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
    D2
    Daytona USA
    Dino Crisis
    Ecco the Dolphin Defender of the Future
    Elemental Gimmick Gear
    Frame Guide
    Fur Fighters
    Gunbird 2
    Ikaruga
    Illbleed
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    L.O.L.: Lack Of Love
    Last Hope Pink Bullets
    Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver
    MDK2
    Maken X
    Napple Tale
    Power Stone
    Power Stone 2
    Project Justice
    Propeller Arena: Aviation Battle Championship
    Psychic Force 2012
    Puyo Puyo DA!
    Puyo Puyo Fever
    Rayman 2
    Rent a hero
    Rez
    Seaman
    Sega Bass Fishing
    Sega Marine Fishing
    Segagaga
    Shadow Man
    Shenmue
    Shenmue 2 (you need an english hack for this version)
    Skies of Arcadia
    Sonic Adventure 1
    Sonic Adventure 2
    SoulCalibur
    Space Channel 5
    Space Channel 5 part 2 english
    Super Magnetic Neo
    Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
    Tony Hawk's Proskater 1
    Tony Hawk's Proskater 2
    Toy Commander
    Zero Gunner 2

there's probably some I'm missing too.

right now I'm hoarding saturn games. I think I might nearly have every game I could have even a vague interest in. still, you gotta convert a lot of shit to BIN/CUE format from whatever god awful bullshit filetype it was ripped in and then manually edit the CUE file it's a god damn hassle. there's so much cool and obscure shit on the console though so it's worth it.

on that note, did you know Earthworm Jim 2 has completely unique backgrounds and visual effects between the genesis snes and saturn versions?. they're all so god damn beautiful to look at, it's hard to pick one as the "good" version. is it normal to be sexually aroused by parallax scrolling? asking for a friend.

Quote from: RobClock on September 09, 2019, 08:26:18 PM
For all the shit the original Xbox got from its massive brick of a controller, the Dreamcast has easily one of the most uncomfortable, large and ugly gamepads of any system. However the extremely rare fightstick paired with a copy of Third Strike? Now there’s something to drool over

which is weird comparing it to the saturn 3d pad it evolved from. it's so similar but everything about it is ludicrously better. just comparing the analog sticks alone makes my head hurt. would it have really drove up the cost to make those but slightly wider with a slot for the VMU?

Clocktopus

i have a box just filled with fucking weird ass dreamcast games

my dad bought the console and an assortment of like 100 discs or something like a decade ago

games ranged from weird bootleg stuff to classics like sonic adventure 2 and skies of arcadia ...and ecco the dolphin