News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

So TOOL has that new album

Farted by NintendrCkolc, September 09, 2019, 07:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendrCkolc

I think it's OK. There's definitely some decent songs that have some really catchy rhythms and lyrics but a lot of the interlude songs are awful and while it's cool that each song is lengthy, the transitions in some of them (like Invincible) aren't the best. I feel that song in particular could've been 4 minutes or so shorter..

Anybody else listen to this thing?

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Wait that actually came out? so we've got chinese democracy and duke nukem forever now, what else are we waiting on?

anyways the last perfect circle album was boring lightweight adult contemporary crap and the lyrics were bland as hell, but this will probably be better. I'll give it a listen later.

Quote from: Nintendo The Clock on September 09, 2019, 07:24:32 PMhile it's cool that each song is lengthy, the transitions in some of them (like Invincible) aren't the best. I feel that song in particular could've been 4 minutes or so shorter..
that was how I felt with lateralus and 10000 days. only aenima did that right imo. but as long as there's at least one or two good songs like parabola and vicarious it's worth it.

also is it weird that I don't like undertow all that much? I fucking loved aenima and opiate but undertow was just okay to me.

GreyClock

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on September 16, 2019, 08:43:56 AM
Wait that actually came out? so we've got chinese democracy and duke nukem forever now, what else are we waiting on?

anyways the last perfect circle album was boring lightweight adult contemporary crap and the lyrics were bland as hell, but this will probably be better. I'll give it a listen later.

Quote from: Nintendo The Clock on September 09, 2019, 07:24:32 PMhile it's cool that each song is lengthy, the transitions in some of them (like Invincible) aren't the best. I feel that song in particular could've been 4 minutes or so shorter..
that was how I felt with lateralus and 10000 days. only aenima did that right imo. but as long as there's at least one or two good songs like parabola and vicarious it's worth it.

also is it weird that I don't like undertow all that much? I fucking loved aenima and opiate but undertow was just okay to me.
I haven't listened to the whole album yet either, just the loose song they released beforehand. I forgot the name. That's indicative of how I felt about it, too long and it didn't really grab me. Old Tool songs are long, but somehow don't feel long. 10000 days was okay, but Aenima and Lateralus is where it's at. For some reason I always thought (until just now) that Lateralus came out before Aenima. This order makes more sense. The Grudge / Schism / Parabol(a) / Lateralus don't feel long at all.

I don't like Undertow all that much either. I only listened to it once and that was fairly recent(ly?). I listen to music in a strangely rigid way though. I'll latch on to something, most likely a band's specific album and (if I (really) like it) I will then listen to it on a loop for about five million times over the course of a year, maybe two. Ignoring any other material they might have put out. I've only been listening to Tool for a couple of years now, because I had never heard one of their songs before and I was put off by the name and a logo I saw once... a wrench in the shape of a dick and I figured this must be a band of and for assholes, so I never paid them any mind. I was proven wrong though, so I learned not to judge a book by its cover and that has value I guess.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

okay listened to it. it's... pretty good. consistently musically good if a little long, but I dont mind how long it is this time around. I even liked the transition songs. the album is paced better than I expected it to be. you can tell the band is having fun just jamming out in the studio.

the lyrics on the other hand sometimes felt like a tool fan with a thesaurus trying to write tool songs, or like a cheaper modern version of aenima. like he thinks it's a lot deeper and insightful than it actually is. I kinda expected that after eat the elephant. same problem with that album. "weave my allegorical elegy" is one of the goofiest lines I've heard out of a tool song. but unlike eat the elephant this is still good musically. it runs almost the full gamut of what I've liked from them over the years. it felt like one continuous piece rather than a collection of songs. as a result no one song really stands out on it's own unfortunately but as a whole album it's a great experience. just sit back and enjoy the sounds.

also the album art should have been better. did they not hire the same artist this time? the music itself is fine but cmon a memorable album cover is damn near essential for this band. and you know what I kinda liked invincible's lyrics now that I think about it. I could be wrong but it felt like maynard addressing his own aging, and his search for meaning and purpose before he dies. it's the most relatable song on the album.

NintendrCkolc

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on September 21, 2019, 06:39:46 AM
and you know what I kinda liked invincible's lyrics now that I think about it. I could be wrong but it felt like maynard addressing his own aging, and his search for meaning and purpose before he dies. it's the most relatable song on the album.

Yeah, invincible is probably my favorite song on the album. Maynard's vocals on that track impressed me the most. Pneuma is really good too.

Alot of people REALLY love 7empest, I think it's just OK.

Also right there with you guys on Aenima. That's probably my favorite Tool song overall.