News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Can we switch to phpBB?

Farted by Schmellements Clawk, February 18, 2020, 11:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmellements Clawk

Quote from: VCRClock on February 18, 2020, 11:45:23 PM
First of all, let the record show that my immediate inward reaction to this thread was "FUCK NO" in big letters, but...

That's the sexiest "but" I've seen all day.

Maybe the most convincing argument in this thread is that SMF's default Captcha isn't strong enough to keep bots out, and the most effective anti-bot SMF mod was also causing false positives until it started making the entire website not work for anyone. Awesome.

What mod was it?  Maybe there's been an update to it since then, was it reported?  Since BBS are pretty much a dying thing, that information could potentially help the mod author out a lot if you had the time.

Which is what I did when we moved to SMF in the first place. Yeah, it'll all copy over, it's just that you always have to reconfigure a bunch of stuff (i.e. remembering to fix the permissions so that fucking JambaClock isn't allowed to post about Sonic in the "news" forum) when you do. At least I never got around to fucking with the SMF theme, so there's nothing to lose there!!!

With the exception of Jamba (just kidding buddy {{{{}}}}), most peeps here are pretty cool.  I'm sure we wouldn't mind helping point out things you missed.  I'm sure it's a fairly annoying process though, and if you don't have a backup, ya done, son.

I completely agree. It's a huge ask. Fuck you Elements.

That's fair, it is a lot to ask for.  BTW, love you too.  <3

We'd have four or five attempted bot registrations an hour. The members of that forum would outnumber the actual Clock Crew in no time, and they'd probably vote to overthrow me.

Jokes on you, we already voted mutiny in the secret buttsecks forum.  We're all pussies though, and couldn't do it, I blame PhantomCatClock and RobClock.

Actually, I was clamoring to leave vB. Ours was broken as shit and badly needed an upgrade to save it, but... it's overpriced as fuck. I was spearheading the "let's use a free one" thing. I just didn't pick phpBB because it must have looked like a bad option at the time.

You're not wrong, phpBB was complete shit back in the day, and they had a track record of fucking up completely.  I don't blame you for using SMF, I preferred it myself years back.  It's pretty ironic how SMF looked so promising, but goons couldn't stray away from phpBB, and now it's actually in a good place.

consider this considered

Thanks for considering it and putting your 2¢ in, VCR.  I appreciate you taking the time to make a reply.

PhantomCatClock