News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Give me some pc advice

Farted by GreyClock, June 14, 2020, 03:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreyClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on June 14, 2020, 06:54:04 PMThat seems really, really, really bad for 700€ considering my 700USD one blows it out of the water. That's such a weak graphics card, and that's a newer—not amazing, but good—processor that is capable of dual-channel memory. Yet that system is not configured with dual-channel memory. I almost hate to say it because I'm not the most confident, but it sounds like that computer was put together by a couple of chucklefucks who just want to make hella cash off people.
Yeah, that's what I figured. It's from some large chain store. How can you tell the system is not configured with dual-channel memory? Should it be? What should I look for?

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on June 14, 2020, 06:54:04 PMIf you did use LogicalIncrements, I'm hella down to webcam in and help you put it together. Despite how much shit there is to do, there's really only one step where you can -actually- fuck up your computer, and I'll give you plenty of warning for that. I'm interested in your current system, though. Computers are definitely getting faster (and have better values for this speed) but we've kind of hit the point where a ten year old rig can still have some life squeezed out of it. Get a new SSD, definitely (I just bought a 500GB one for $us 50 and it's a brand—even model—that I trust from experience) and some of those big metal cans of compressed air. If you're okay with my All Seeing Eye seeing your computer, we can very probably get it running cooler and quieter, if not faster, with minimal new parts.
What step is that?

Also, my current system:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 2.50GHz
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
Some hdd

So uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Quote from: NintendrCkolc on June 14, 2020, 09:33:05 PM
https://www.newegg.com/abs-computer-technologies-ala196/p/N82E16883102947?&quicklink=true

This is decent for your price range... though admittedly I have no clue what 700 euros is in dollars and I'm too lazy to look it up but yeah...
Currently 786 dollars, so yeah.

Quote from: NintendrCkolc on June 14, 2020, 10:23:36 PM
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BjNPdm

Just slapped this together real quick, for those of you who want a nice budget build. Good website overall if you're lookin to build.
Looks good, but what the hell do I know. I looked up some of the parts, it's gettable.

Are these manufacturers purposely trying to confuse potential customers? I was looking up the graphics card, it said:
> AMD Radeon RX 580 MSI Armor OC 8GB
Wait a minute that's not right.
> AMD Radeon RX 580 XFX GTS XXX 8GB
What's the difference? Well, the second one is cheaper. Wait, the second one has slightly better performance? When you compare all the specifications, the only difference seems to be the second one allows for higher resolution (Cinema 4K vs regular 4K) and has something called a "maximum turbo clock frequency" of 1,386GHz, which the other (maybe) does not?

So that's a solid one? It's pretty cheap, especially compared to the shit they throw at you on the front pages.

PhantomCatClock

So they're both "AMD Radeon RX 580"s, but one is made by MSI and one is made by XFX. Graphics cards are weird like that, all across the board. NVidia designed the GTX 1060 I use, but there are four or five different manufacturers making them and those are actually different.

Ordinarily I subscribe to the philosophy that you don't notice when a computer is fast. You notice when a computer is slow. But if you actually play games, you'll notice even the ones you do play will have much better framerates at even way higher settings with and of the ones we linked.

QuoteSo that's a solid one? It's pretty cheap, especially compared to the shit they throw at you on the front pages.
I'm actually not super familiar with AMD's Radeon graffyx cards—but I love their processors. This one has some favorable scores on benchmarks that I respect. It'll play anything that isn't a current AAA title perfectly, and will be able to run newer huge games at great framerates if you lower the settings a bit. I, uh, actually only play either old or just simple games.

QuoteWhat step is that?
THE STEP I was referring to was putting the CPU in. It is "align the squaretangle the right way, then drop it in place". Couldn't be simpler but that and putting thermal paste on always makes me nervous, even though I have never screwed it up.

QuoteShould it be? What should I look for?
Going dual-channel is absolutely worth it (even if you aren't a dumbass who ends up with twice as much as you need like me). The board does have to support it—but anything you can plug a Ryzen 5 chip into would—but you can get it by plugging two identical(!) sticks of RAM into slots 4 and 2. That computer only has a single stick, so mystery solved.

Lots of information but Nintendo's two links and the Very Good on my link are minimal bullshit if you just wanna GO NUTS and grab something. They're all good choices.

That is a respectable computer for ten years ago. Honestly, if you cleaned the fans and reapplied thermal paste to your CPU, it'd probably run quieter and cooler. In fact, it might even be slowing down just because it's getting too hot. Thermal throttling™® would be affecting any game, yeah.

LONG PARAGRAPH SKIP IF YOU'RE BUYING A NEW COMP but get those canned airs and open up your computer, spray the shit out of it until it looks like you wiped it with a cloth (the dust will fly all over your room, and don't worry about spinning the fans like an asshole with your spray—it won't hurt them. Just keep the bottle upright so it doesn't squirt juice out.) Ordinarily I don't actually tell people to replace their thermal paste, but ten years is pushing it. Jesus Christ it's 45nm. Intel's coolers were kind of a pain in the butt back then, but the gist was, you'd unscrew each screw just a little bit, one at a time, in order, to keep the pressure even. Take a clean cloth and some alcohol and wipe that old gray shit off both the cooler and the top of the CPU (you can pull it out of the computer for this). Put it back in and get your new paste—I use ARCTIC MX-4. It's $13 for a tube that will last the rest of your life. Nerds have favorites but it doesn't matter what kind you get—then put one dot riiight in the middle, about the size of a pea. The cooler will smoosh it flat and spread it for you, don't worry (it'll come with a little putty knife if you're paranoid, though). Screw it back in evenly and BAM. You may have gotten your old computer working for another couple of years for twenty euros. Er, plus however much you spend getting a new SSD.

ed: typo

GreyClock

Thanks for the advice. I did forget that I get bored with videogames after a week or so at most and hardly ever play any to begin with. So I'm not going to bother. Maybe get a new hd still, before the current one shits the bed.

PhantomCatClock

In that case, refer to my LONG PARAGRAPH SKIP paragraph. Definitely get something like a Crucial MX500 and do the other stuff I mentioned. The former will save your data if that drive's about to fail, the latter may actually make your baby run like she's five years younger.

Nuka

shame.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I actually am probably gonna build a computer. I need at least a minor upgrade, I can barely emulate ds games and 3ds games just dont run unless I disable opengl, which then makes it run but it slows the game down to 1-3fps. then I've got other emulators I could use some more processing power for, and various pc games. I don't expect to play bloodborne remastered or doom eternal but I'd like to run things my budget laptop can't.

I'm liking nintendo's build thanks for posting that. I'll probably hunt down a case with more usb ports and maybe a spot for a disk drive. it also says the case doesn't work with the motherboard I'm not sure what's going on there, guess I gotta watch out for that with other cases. after buying windows alongside that I probably can't get a monitor, but I've got a tv that will work well enough in the meantime.

PhantomCatClock

it's like the perfect time to not buy pc parts

prices are up from a lot of factories going on minimal die production and they're going to go down soon for a couple of reasons (new cpu and gpu generation gonna make second hand stuff rock, new console generation that always seems to have an even bigger impact though I don't know why) etc

Re: last paragraph: There's a lot of parts optimization you can do. If you really care, there are places for builds that aren't something someone threw together in a couple minutes—not that that wouldn't work

i thought you had an inspiron 15 7000

also windows is free now. "it isn't" but you don't have to pay for it ever

PhantomCatClock

uh, apparently prices aren't that up

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I've got an acer aspire v5 with the following specs

considering it was a 200 dollar (maybe less) laptop and free I'm actually impressed by the use I've gotten out of it.

NintendrCkolc

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

yeah it chugs just saving a two minute long FLA

GreyClock

One more thing: are there things I should watch out for when buying a sdd? Like, I'm not gonna buy one and then get home and try to put it in my old thing (which is what I call my asshole) and find out that yeah it doesn't fit, can't be mounted, see you got the one with hydrogranulated microbrackets but what you needed was the one with the effluvium X6 inverted brackets. Or some shit about power differences or hardware compatibility issues or whatever?

PhantomCatClock

blah blah SSDs without a DRAM cache blah blah the IMPORTANT THING is that yes, an SSD is going to be smaller than your 1TB spinning drive. Realistically it'll just fit in your case anyway if the case has mounting brackets BUT converting kits exist and are super cheap (they're just little squares you screw the SSD into, then the square fits where a larger drive would've fit in your case)

I was going to say the measurements (2.5" to 3.5") but realize that's probably not how they're measured in logical countries HOWEVER, SEARCHING "SSD MOUNTING BRACKET" YIELDED RESULTS

otherwise no it's just a SATA cable and your computer can use it. The drive has its own little helper brain.