News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Y'know what time it is?

Farted by Nuka, July 03, 2020, 09:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuka

shame.

VCRClock

hi,

I can't really blame you for not knowing this, but this type of post goes in the spam forum, or "Mrs. McGruder's House," where I've taken the liberty of moving it
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

miracle fruit

u should give nuka the ability to post directly in the gas chamber

PhantomCatClock

Slurpee

Nuka

shame.

Slurpee

ok cool I won't be polite

the entire phenomenon of the aesthetics of old video games degenerating into this mutant that bears no resemblance to them except on the completely superficial level of "has a lot of squares", is stupid

the people who made graphics for the 2600 or the commodore 64 or what have you were making the best graphics that they could given the technical limitations of the medium

the reason for the blocky square look of, for example, pitfall harry

is that higher fidelity graphics were literally impossible
these aren't just random squares used to half-assedly approximate what they're supposed to depict, it is the closest the creators could come to depicting a running, jumping human form while restricted to an 8 by 16 grid of pixels containing 4 colors
pixels can't be moved half a pixel, or a quarter of a pixel, they can't rotate, they can't even really be moved at all, pixels are a grid of squares changing colors to simulate movement. the squares stay right where they are, everything that exists within pixel art are simulations created by and existing within grids of colored squares

how big does the person who drew purple guy up there think a pixel is?
look at the space between his arm and his body. that's a visual indication, the implied smallest possible unit of display
and yet, his head, his feet, his mouth, his shoulders, the knife- every other part of the character pretends to be confined to an arbitrarily larger pixel size for no reason except that the artist didn't understand or care to understand what they were aping. it's just a caveman visual connection, "brightly colored squares = old"

retro graphics are fine, pixel art is fine. it's a popular, evocative way to keep graphic costs down (both in production and runtime), but you're still supposed to do the best you can; the change made isn't that you're putting in less effort, it's that you're working within limitations

do you know why mario has a mustache?
it was the only way to show that he had a face

same with the hat
the overalls were the only way to show he was jumping
he wears red and blue because those colors were already being used on the girders and barrels
he's one of the most iconic fictional characters of all time, and everything about his design was pragmatic

now, look at the gap between the mouth and eye on purple guy

that little bit of purple
it's there because if the eye was touching the mouth, it might look like part of the mouth, but if it was too far away, it wouldn't look like an eye
the designers back in the day, and people who actually work with retro graphics now, would have agonized over that, over every single pixel, the colors you limit your palette to, the gradation, the way their placement delineates shapes

every. single. pixel.

edgy knife boy has that little gap there because the artist couldn't be bothered to put thought into it. that little gap becomes pregnant with meaning, it's the cheat, it betrays the ability the artist had and neglected in every other aspect of the drawing, to add fidelity, to give detail and shape and style and meaning, its presence screams "this is not pixel art, this is not retro, this is merely a very, very bad higher-fidelity image"

imho

NintendrCkolc

Anyways, um... I bought a whole bunch of shungite rocks, do you know what shungite is? Anybody know what shungite is? No, not Suge Knight, I think he's locked up in prison. I'm talkin' shungite. Anyways, it's a two billion year-old like, rock stone that protects against frequencies and unwanted frequencies that may be traveling in the air. That's my story, I bought a whole bunch of stuff. Put 'em around the la casa. Little pyramids, stuff like that.

miracle fruit

Quote from: Slurpee on July 04, 2020, 11:12:44 PM

the entire phenomenon of the aesthetics of old video games degenerating into this mutant that bears no resemblance to them except on the completely superficial level of "has a lot of squares", is stupid

the people who made graphics for the 2600 or the commodore 64 or what have you were making the best graphics that they could given the technical limitations of the medium

these aren't just random squares used to half-assedly approximate what they're supposed to depict, it is the closest the creators could come to depicting a running, jumping human form while restricted to an 8 by 16 grid of pixels containing 4 colors
pixels can't be moved half a pixel, or a quarter of a pixel, they can't rotate, they can't even really be moved at all, pixels are a grid of squares changing colors to simulate movement. the squares stay right where they are, everything that exists within pixel art are simulations created by and existing within grids of colored squares

look at the space between his arm and his body. that's a visual indication, the implied smallest possible unit of display
and yet, his head, his feet, his mouth, his shoulders, the knife- every other part of the character pretends to be confined to an arbitrarily larger pixel size for no reason except that the artist didn't understand or care to understand what they were aping. it's just a caveman visual connection, "brightly colored squares = old"

retro graphics are fine, pixel art is fine. it's a popular, evocative way to keep graphic costs down (both in production and runtime), but you're still supposed to do the best you can; the change made isn't that you're putting in less effort, it's that you're working within limitations

same with the hat
he wears red and blue because those colors were already being used on the girders and barrels
he's one of the most iconic fictional characters of all time, and everything about his design was pragmatic

it's there because if the eye was touching the mouth, it might look like part of the mouth, but if it was too far away, it wouldn't look like an eye
the designers back in the day, and people who actually work with retro graphics now, would have agonized over that, over every single pixel, the colors you limit your palette to, the gradation, the way their placement delineates shapes

every. single. pixel.

edgy knife boy has that little gap there because the artist couldn't be bothered to put thought into it. that little gap becomes pregnant with meaning, it's the cheat, it betrays the ability the artist had and neglected in every other aspect of the drawing, to add fidelity, to give detail and shape and style and meaning, its presence screams "this is not pixel art, this is not retro, this is merely a very, very bad higher-fidelity image"

imho

why are u like this

Clocktopus

you will not get away with threatening me like this

PhantomCatClock

SlurpeePosts: 3527
MFCPosts: 0

Nuka

Quote from: miracle fruit on July 05, 2020, 01:27:25 AM

same with the hat

every. single. pixel.

imho

why are u like this
He was just informing me. I appreciate it.
shame.

NintendrCkolc

same with the hat

every. single. pixel.

imho

Anyways, um... I bought a whole bunch of shungite rocks, do you know what shungite is? Anybody know what shungite is? No, not Suge Knight, I think he's locked up in prison. I'm talkin' shungite. Anyways, it's a two billion year-old like, rock stone that protects against frequencies and unwanted frequencies that may be traveling in the air. That's my story, I bought a whole bunch of stuff. Put 'em around the la casa. Little pyramids, stuff like that.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Slurpee

GreyClock

Quote from: miracle fruit on July 04, 2020, 09:02:24 PM
u should give nuka the ability to post directly in the gas chamber
i was thinking along the same lines: a new subforum called the kids' table where manchildren and actual children can be isolated and everything is censored, but your idea seems easier. a permaban is easier still.

real talk: i can't be the only one that's uncomfortable with these teenagers joining right? this is already a weird enough situation with a weird enough group of people... meaning the core group of people here is in their late twenties, early thirties (perhaps not mentally speaking) and members of a forum built on terrible cartoons with dick jokes.

like, not to take anything away from bio or olskoo or people like that, but those fuckers were already old when they hung out with us back when we were kids. i thought that was pretty cool back then, but now that the shoe is up the other ass, i don't like it, i don't feel like ending up one some government website because i made some lame joke about putting a shoe up my ass

PhantomCatClock

a graveyard forum for banned people and only banned people to post THIS IS NOT THE CEMETERY

Nuka

When did this go from a meme to... this.
shame.

Redbook Clock

PhantomCatClock

slurpee your post has really good text but i feel like itd be more meaningful if you chose good art for the final examples