News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

All you sensual, tech-savvy hunkboys, please help me out

Farted by GreyClock, November 22, 2020, 06:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreyClock

Quote from: GreyClock on November 27, 2020, 02:37:23 PM
Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on November 27, 2020, 02:29:10 PMyeah tvs do shit like that hooked up to computers. reading articles will melt your eyes. if it has a "PC" or "direct input" mode that helps though it varies from tv to tv. also you might have the color profile set to warm.
Yeah, I set it to warm before, that was the setting that reduced it a bit. Although my TV looked great hooked up to my old pc. I did find out I have to update my gpu driver though. Apparently that takes 3 hours? Maybe that'll help.
That wasn't it. Turns out the standard profile for HDMI input on the TV had really high sharpness settings. That part's good now.

GreyClock

Also the screen didn't really fit. So I have the TV "scan" for the correct resolution and then it does fit. The second option would be to change the resolution settings on the PC, but I figured it would be better to let the TV do the work, correct?

PhantomCatClock

ideally you want the TV to do no work at all, if you plan on playin' VIDJA GAMES on it. Newer teevs are infamous for post-processing images even when you tell them not to, but they finally have a "GAMING MODE®" generally, that turns all of that off

but yis i'd still tell the computer to render for the tv's resomalution because if it's smaller anyway then it wouldn't have to do as much work each frame

GreyClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on November 28, 2020, 02:20:27 PM
ideally you want the TV to do no work at all, if you plan on playin' VIDJA GAMES on it. Newer teevs are infamous for post-processing images even when you tell them not to, but they finally have a "GAMING MODE®" generally, that turns all of that off

but yis i'd still tell the computer to render for the tv's resomalution because if it's smaller anyway then it wouldn't have to do as much work each frame
Oh. It's a pretty old TV. I doubt it does much in terms of post-processing? Yeah, I looked it up, probably not.

The resolution is supposed to be 1920x1080 and that worked just fine on my old PC. Windows 10 is just bigger somehow. If I use the resolution scaler it's like 1886xWHATEVER. I figured I'd let the TV do the heavy lifting on that. Also you have to drag and drop the resolution in Windows and it doesn't seem very accurate. With the TV it's instant and right on the money.

At the same time, it makes sense not to have it render the extra size for nought or whatever. I don't know how any of this works really.

DrClock

Quote from: GreyClock on November 27, 2020, 02:11:41 PM
Thanks for the help, guys! I'm reaching you right now from the thing, okay?

A few more things:

- I got a HDMI cable with it and used that to connect my tv. (Which I thought was a smart idea (it was, because this fucking thing doesn't even have a VGA thingy.) I don't know if that's the issue, but it looks terrible. Like migraine inducing. Terrible colors and bleeding or whatever you call it (dithering? anti-aliasing?) around text. I don't know if that's a pc or a screen thing? I was able to at least reduce it somewhat by adjusting some settings on the tv itself, but everything's kind of yellow.

- How do I work with this SDD/HDD devide? HDD is for storing files? SDD is for programs/games? Also it said it had 256GB/1TB but there's three partitions, 2x 237GB and 1x 931 = 1405GB, right?

- Also I noticed you can look right inside the computer through the mesh on the left side of the tower. Like it's not really a mesh, more "big fucking holes" . How often should I clean the inside of the pc? Remember the thick layer of dust on my old CPU.

- Any other tips?

I wouldn't use a TV but if you have to then right click your desktop > display settings > adjust the resolution to 1920x1080 and then play with the scale.
You can get a HDMI to vga adapter for your monitor off amazon for like 10$.
https://www.amazon.nl/BENFEI-mannelijk-projector-Chromebook-Raspberry/dp/B07CTK4TH4/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_nl_NL=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+vga&qid=1606745805&sr=8-2

The SSD is the drive you boot from. Its much faster than an HDD, so anything you use daily put on there (applications, not files) , and everything else save to the HDD.
SSD's will get less performance when they are full. Try to keep the usage around 70%.

You can get a magnetic dust filter to stick on the big fucking holes, but its pretty extra. every few months give it a blast with compressed air and you'll be good.

Your graphics driver (1650 right?) is here:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/166630/en-us

Be sure to have automatic updates turned on for win 10 and schedule them for the off hours. There's a lot of people who will tell you to not update win10 but they're lunatics.

PhantomCatClock

i see where they're coming from though. I've used windows ten for maybe two hours since it's come out and its updating has already pissed me off—but definitely keep your computer up to date. windows is a pretty big target and microsoft isn't banging rocks together

GreyClock

And we're back.

Quick question: it's working really well. The only annoying thing I've noticed is this sort of revving thing, when doing something (graphics) intensive. I'm told it's a fan and you could possibly set it to a more constant setting through BIOS? Any tips?

PhantomCatClock

You are at a point where your computer can run basically anything and how powerful it is comes down to how much it can be cooled—but if it's revving all the time when you FIRST START a game or render, you likely have a profile in your BIOS already that'll make it quieter (until it needs to be loud). In the bios you can really get specific with your fan curves in relation to the temperature, but chances are that a prebuilt will have USE THIS FOR SUCCESS already in there (look for the words LOAD PROFILE or something) and know that I am just as passively disappointed as you that all these pc builders take the time to make these great fan presets but never actually set them on by default

also it should be possible to play with fan reaction times outside of bios but you'd need someone more familiar with Windows specifically for advice on that (getting them perfect in bios is a ≈2.1% better solution so you're not missing out on much) (this is not a real number)