Register

Author Topic: HOW TO : Improve the audio in flash (8-CS5)  (Read 6612 times)

ScrewdriverClock

• <FONT COLOR=\
  • Official Clock
  • Girl Status: Girl
  • For Creating at least one movie for the flash flood. (If you only made one you probably don't deserve this) For having submitted at least 50 animations Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2006 Participant For winning flash of the month For excellence in the field of excellence
    • View Profile
    • Awards
HOW TO : Improve the audio in flash (8-CS5)
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:01:19 PM »
One of the more common mistakes for the beginning flash artist is not properly optimizing audio. This causes poor audio quality and in many cases will throw the video out of sync. By optimizing audio, we can improve sound quality, as well as make sure that audio stays in sync when streaming.

Open Flash (Obviously the hardest part!)

Open the Flash File (in this case I chose "flood5.fla")

Go to File>Publish Settings (same on Macs and Windows)

As we can see from the above image, the Audio Stream is set to 16kb/s, Fast. This means Shit quality, and thats just plain shitty. What we want to do is click "Set.."

And set that to at least 32kbps and to "Best" Quality. Keep in mind this will increase the file size of your flash but if you pre-edit your sound and optimize it before hand you should have pleasant audio quality and a relatively small SWF when you go to publish.

After clicking "Ok" twice to exit the previous two context menus, save to make sure these settings stay. I could make a whole post on the merits of saving, but I'd be saving time by just saying SAVE OFTEN.

Topcatyo

• This is definitely the same avatar as before
  • Official Clock
  • Yup, definitely needed a second one of these
    • Newgrounds: topcatyo
  • Turn Back The Clock Participant For having submitted at least 25 animations Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2006 Participant Clock Day 2005 Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Participation in Fifen This Movie For excellence in the field of excellence
    • View Profile
    • http://dragonswithpompoms.blogspot.com/
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:04:06 PM »
Oh man, go figure I write an article minutes before you post yours.

Anyways, this is great that you're posting this, it's useful advice that improves any flash movie.
supaflyart.me
supaflyarturo.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/supaflyarturo

DWARFINATORclock

• Give a man a mask, and he will show you his true face
  • Official Clock
  • For having submitted at least 25 animations Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2006 Participant Clock Day 2003 Participant Turn Back The Clock Participant For excellence in the field of excellence
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:17:50 AM »
Quote from: ScrewdriverClock;1802046

After clicking "Ok" twice to exit the previous two context menus, save to make sure these settings stay. I could make a whole post on the merits of saving, but I'd be saving time by just saying SAVE OFTEN.

The trick is to keep your left hand on ctrl + s at all times.

I1I1I1I1I1I1I11111I1I1I1IIIIIII1I1I1I1I11I

• I\'m gettin\' lost in the beat!
  • For having submitted at least 100 animations Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Pass The Cash Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities For winning flash of the month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »
I put mine to 160... probably a bad idea.
Quote from: PezDispenserclock;1948598
Abba, I might not smoke weed, but I experiancing it being hit with a crowbar on a modded TTT server. Flashing colours, screen flipped, screen flying. Yup, I know how it\'s like.

AmberArachnidClock

• demonic robot science teacher
  • Clock Day 2010 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Pass The Cash Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities For winning flash of the month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »
Quote from: DWARFINATORclock;1802128
The trick is to keep your left hand on ctrl + s at all times.

seriously, it's become like a reflex.

VuBawlsClock

• Vuvu von Needlenip IV
  • Official Clock
  • One of the beautiful people Clock Day 2019 Participant Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Participation in Fifen This Movie Participation in the Clockoween Flash Event For excellence in the field of excellence Clock Day 2014 Participant For Creating at least one movie for the flash flood. (If you only made one you probably don't deserve this) For having submitted at least 25 animations For winning flash of the month Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Pass The Cash Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Turn Back The Clock Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:59:15 PM »
Quote from: Blob;1802183
I put mine to 160... probably a bad idea.
....blob...you told me 160....

AC Slater

• Ded.
  • Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities For excellence in the field of excellence Clock Day 2005 Participant For having submitted at least 25 animations Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2006 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »
I always run mine at 56 or 64.

Epic

• lecture provocante
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 01:49:52 PM »
became smarter.

BilliardBall10

• i am billiard ball 10! lol si u
  • Official Clock
    • Newgrounds: chris-the-stick2
  • One of the beautiful people Clock Day 2019 Participant Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Good popstin, bro. Props Pass The Cash Participant For winning flash of the month Participation in Fifen This Movie
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »
Quote from: ScrewdriverClock;1802046
One of the more common mistakes for the beginning flash artist is not properly optimizing audio.

As we can see from the above image, the Audio Stream is set to 16kb/s, Fast. This means Shit quality, and thats just plain shitty. What we want to do is click "Set.."

And set that to at least 32kbps and to "Best" Quality. Keep in mind this will increase the file size of your flash but if you pre-edit your sound and optimize it before hand you should have pleasant audio quality and a relatively small SWF when you go to publish.

man. how should i convert my files from wma's to mp3, or wave files?
and if i do, at what settings do i upload them/convert them?

8000 hertz? or more?
17 kbits, or more?
how many bits...

help me, screwdriver, PM me.(or anyone who knows about this.)
i also did a thread in this forum about my sound/problems

k -i raise dragons. here we go -click HERE- i mean click the eggs -and the dragons, until they become  adults.

PopcornClock

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 07:19:19 AM »
NO WAI 192 minimum plz no more shit sound!
[SWF=http://www.newgrounds.com/upload/projects/609000/609898/file/POPCORN_CLOCK.swf width=850 height=180]http://www.newgrounds.com/upload/projects/609000/609898/file/POPCORN_CLOCK.swf[/SWF]
Love is pooping in front of your partner so you can continue your argument.