News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Flash Forum RULES and FAQ

Farted by RenegadeClock, September 08, 2005, 06:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenegadeClock

Flash Forum Rules

ââ,¬Â¢ Casting calls: We're relaxing the casting calls rule for a trial period. If you make a casting call you'd better follow through with it. If you don't produce a movie or a work in progress within a few weeks of making such a casting call you may be subject to a temporary ban.
ââ,¬Â¢ No casting calls: Don't post threads asking if people want to be in your movie or to get suggestions on who to put in your movie.

ââ,¬Â¢ FLA Requests: If you're looking for someone's FLA then check the Library first. Do not make a new topic. If you still don't see what you're looking for make a request in a chatroom or PM the person you need an FLA from.

ââ,¬Â¢ Don't post your Newgrounds movie links here: Be a whore and post 'em in the NG Submissions Forum. If it's any good you might get a sticky.

ââ,¬Â¢Ã, Posting a signature thread: Don't do it. We don't give a crap.

Flash Forum FAQ

Feel free to contribute any Flash questions you may have to this thread.

// Questions --------------------------------------------

• Where do I get Flash?
  • How do I learn to use Flash?
  • How do I post Flash on this forum or put it in my signature?
  • I tried posting Flash from imageshack and it doesn't work.
  • Where can I get Clock avatar FLA files?
  • Do I need permission to use someone's Clock in my movie?
  • Will you draw my Clock FLA for me?
  • How do I synchronize sound in Flash?
  • How do I make a preloader?
  • How do I make computer Clock voices?
  • Where can I get sound Fx for my movie?
  • What framerate (fps) should I use?
  • How do I publish my movie?
  • Why does my movie lag?
  • Why is my movie size so large?

// Answers ----------------------------------------------

• Where do I get Flash?
    You can download a 30-day trial of Flash from http://macromedia.com
    After 30 days you'll need to buy Flash for $699 USD or get a student version for $149
    We don't discuss or condone software piracy here so don't ask or you will be banned!
  • How do I learn to use Flash?
    Start by going to the Flash Help Menu and selecting tutorials. Do them all.
    There's a lot of reference material included with the software under menu Help > Using Flash and Actionscript Dictionary.
    Go watch some tutorials on YouTube. There's a lot of good stuff out there!
    Buy a book.
    Take a class.
    Get a friend to show you!
    If you have a specific question then you can post a new thread.
  • How do I post Flash on this forum or put it in my signature?
    Here's an example of the BBS code to link Flash. Replace the URL with the url of your flash file, and the width and height with appropriate numbers.
    [FLASH]http://linktoflash.com/myfile.swf width=400 height=100[/FLASH]
    The limit for signature images and flash is 400px wide by 100px tall.
    Before you can post Flash you need to host Flash. So you'll need access to a webserver the allows remote linking. Most free sites like Yahoo and Angelfire won't allow this, but here's some that do:
    http://imageshack.us
    http://www.putfile.com/
    http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php

If your link begins with "C:\", guess what... :rolleyes:
  • I tried posting Flash from imageshack and it doesn't work.
    The most likely problem is that your URL is wrong. If you go to the URL and you can see advertisements, the imageshack logo, or anything other than your SWF file your URL is wrong, but it does contain the URL you're looking for! The trick knowing where to find it. Go to view the HTML code source. Somewhere buried in all that crap is the right URL. If you're browser has a search text feature you can search for .swf and this will make it a lot easier.

Note: If your URL contains a PHP extension in it, it won't work.

• Where can I get Clock avatar FLA files?
    Well our FLA upload library is temporarily out of service so you'll have to ask around.
    There is an archive of FLAs here: http://www.clockcrew.net/fla/
    Some Clocks have links in their sigs to FLAs. Others you can send a Private Message and ask for it.
    Here's a novel idea: Draw it yourself! OMFG!
  • Do I need permission to use someone's Clock in my movie?
    No. The Clockcrew is like an open-source character community. Once you're in, you're fair game for being put into any movie, whether you like it or not.
  • Will you draw my Clock FLA for me?
    No. Well, most likely not. If you start posting threads begging people to draw your character for you then you're going to get flamed. If you really lack the art skills needed to create your own character perhaps you should reconsider joining a Flash community. Still you could just wait for someone to make a "I'll draw you" type thread or just be a cool person and once you've made some friends ask them to draw your FLA.
  • How do I synchronize sound in Flash?
    Streaming sound works best for syncing voices and music to your animation.
    Create a new layer for your sounds and make a keyframe where you want the sound to start. Import the sound file (mp3, wav, or aiff work well) and pick the sound from the Sound list in your property inspector. Set the Sync to Stream.
    Go to File > Publish Settings and select the Flash Tab. Set your audio stream to 32 kbps.
  • How do I make a preloader?
    Preloaders require some actionscript knowledge to make from scratch, but it's easy to just use or modify an existing one.
    RomanClock's Preloaders: http://www.clockcrew.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=3543
    Newgrounds preloader and tutorials: http://www.newgrounds.com/flash/index.html

If you absolutely must make one from scratch then you'll need to learn actionscript. Here's a tutorial:
    http://www.actionscript.org/tutorials/beginner/Smooth_PreLoader/index.shtml
  • How do I make computer Clock voices?
    For Windows:
    There's a little program called Speakonia that makes those voices.
    You can edit your audio with Audacity or Goldwave.
    For Mac:
    Download and install Wiretap to record your audio.
    Open System Preferences and choose Voice. Set the system voice that you want to use.
    Open TextEdit and type in the lines you want.
    Start recording in Wiretap.
    Go to Edit > Speech > Start Speaking
    When it's done you can stop Wiretap.
    You can edit your audio with Audacity
  • Where can I get sound Fx for my movie?
    http://flashkit.com/soundfx/
    http://findsounds.com
  • What is frame rate?
    Frame rate is the number of frames per second (fps) that are displayed onscreen in a Flash movie.
    The default setting is 12 fps but most good cartoons use 24 or 30.
    Using too high a frame rate will not make your movie smoother but could actually make it worse.
    If too many calculations per second are demanded of Flash the movie will lag.
    You can watch your frame rate performance by choosing Control > Test Movie, then View > Bandwidth Profiler.
  • How do I publish my movie?
    Go to File > Export Movie
    Save your movie some place where you won't forget it.
  • Why does my movie lag?
    Movie lag is can be caused by intensive calculations during movie playback.
    High frame rates combined with intensive graphics and complex onEnterFrame actions will bring your movie to a grinding halt. Large bitmap images can be a problem, and using the Trace Bitmap function can make it even worse. Using excessive transparent images can cause problems as well. Try using alternate event handlers for your actions that don't require onEnterFrame.
    You can also use the global _quality property to adjust the anti-aliasing of vector graphics. Using a "LOW" or "MEDIUM" _quality setting will give your movie a smoother playback makes your graphics more pixelated. Learn more about _quality by going to menu Help > Actionscript Dictionary.
  • Why is my movie size so large?
    FLA files can grow to contain a lot of media and Library items. Adds up to one massive Flash file. Try deleting any unused Library Items and choosing File > Save As. It's not uncommon for FLA files to grow to 50 - 100 Mb in size for large scale movies.
    If it's your SWF file that's too large then you may want to reconsider your graphic intensity, amount of music and video, and quality settings under File > Publish Settings > Flash.

GuillotineClock

2 questions-
1.What version of flash on the marcromedia do i have to pick to try the 30-day free trial
2. whats the differnce between the student version and the normal one?

TheOffspringClock

Quote from: GuillotineClock2 questions-
1.What version of flash on the marcromedia do i have to pick to try the 30-day free trial

1. I don't know.
2. The student one costs less.

RenegadeClock

Quote from: GuillotineClock2 questions-
1. Go to http://www.macromedia.com/downloads/ and find the Try link for Flash. Right now it's at version MX 2004 Pro but later this month Flash 8 will be available.

2. There's no real difference between student and commercial versions. When you open the app the credit screen might state 'Educational Version' but that's about it.

GuillotineClock

well i need a membership and i signed up but i cant sign on

FlashlightClock

i got the flash trial and my friend gave me some free codes^^
i learned flash by just screwing around with it (guess that's wy i don't know how to make motion tweens^^)

Skullclock

Quote from: Flashlight_Clocki got the flash trial and my friend gave me some free codes^^
i learned flash by just screwing around with it (guess that's wy i don't know how to make motion tweens^^)
Piracy isn't tolerated on CC.
So try to not talk about using codes.
B4
You sank my battleship!  :(

Roman Collar Clock

What's the best way to fix sound that goes out of synch?

Why does flash give me an error at times when I try to save flash?  How can I get around this without having to save my fla under a different name?
Quote from: Inquisitor on October 10, 2008, 07:10:33 PM
Whenever RomanCollar goes to 7-11 he gets a dick-flavored slurpee.

RenegadeClock

QuoteHow do I synchronize sound in Flash?
Streaming sound works best for syncing voices and music to your animation.
Create a new layer for your sounds and make a keyframe where you want the sound to start. Import the sound file (mp3, wav, or aiff work well) and pick the sound from the Sound list in your property inspector. Set the Sync to Stream.
Go to File > Publish Settings and select the Flash Tab. Set your audio stream to 32 kbps.

What error is it giving you?

Joey 56465468

how do i alter the clock in my fla so it gives me a certain emotain?
How do i upload the text from speakoria into my animation?

l1fty

Where do i get renegadeclock's fla?

RenegadeClock

Quote from: Vikinghow do i alter the clock in my fla so it gives me a certain emotain?

The simplest way is to use masking to cover up parts of the clockface and emulate emotion. But if you want to be a badass you can redraw each one.

QuoteHow do i upload the text from speakoria into my animation?

I don't use speakonia but I would guess that you export a sound file (wav, or mp3) from speakonia and import it into Flash.

Quote from: l1ftyWhere do i get renegadeclock's fla?

<-- Click the button silly.

RupeeClock

There's an abrupt lack of Actionscript explaination in the FAQ, you might wanna fix that.

RenegadeClock

Quote from: RupeeClockThere's an abrupt lack of Actionscript explaination in the FAQ, you might wanna fix that.
That almost qualifies a whole new thread in itself.

SwirlberryClock

How do i make a movie loop when it has a play button on it?So that it doesnt return to the play button when its done.

GinClock

Quote from: DunceClockHow do i make a movie loop when it has a play button on it?So that it doesnt return to the play button when its done.
On that last frame of the movie put

gotoAndPlay("NameOfTheFirstSceneOfYourMovie", 1);
[size=20]Gin Clock .Fla[/size]
Quote from: Q Block
Quote from: SlurpeeAre you asking about the practical application of the word "nothing" or are you culturally illiterate?
I am the second.

SwirlberryClock

It still doesnt work, i really dont know what to do. I cant find any tutorials on it either.

Bloody Eye Clock

RenegadeClock

Quote from: Bloody Eye ClockWhats a tab?
What?
Tabbed documents in Flash or the Tab key on your keyboard?