News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Death penalty

Farted by AbsintheClock, September 10, 2005, 04:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbsintheClock

Since the Code of Hammurabi governments of the world have put people to death for various charges ranging from murder to being “a witch.” The United States executes on average 60 people a year making us #4 on the capitol punishment list. What justifies the killing of another human being; taking one life for another for an example. How do we deem some people to be unfit to live?

The justification of the death penalty is a difficult one to explain. When someone does something so horrific to another human being that they no longer can really be considered as human beings the death penalty becomes a wonderful solution. The government spends billions of dollars every year to house, feed, clothe, and look after inmates who have committed crimes so horrible that they will never see the light of day. Why is their life so valuable? What do they have to offer that is worth all this time, effort, and money? Should you be set for life because you killed people in cold blood, or if you raped a 5 year old girl? There is a plethora of other crimes so disgusting that I’m not even going to try and name them. Point is that these people cannot be rehabilitated. Most of these people do not feel sorrow or remorse for what they have done. In fact the only thing they’re sorry about is getting caught.

Why should we show mercy? More than that… Why do we take so much consideration into how we execute these people? The electric chair itself has somehow been deemed cruel and unusual by left wing yahoos like Hillary Clinton. Many people are suggesting using an expensive series of poisons like lethal injection. For these people who think lethal injection isn’t painful, it is. First sodium thiopental is injected in order to render the body unconscious. This injection only has a very temporary effect which only lasts 10-30 minutes depending on the dosage. Next tubocurarine chloride is injected to stop all muscle movement except for the heart which makes the diaphragm collapse thus stopping all breathing. Finally potassium chloride is injected to stop the heart. I would imagine it also causes a burning sensation through the veins which becomes very painful. This method of killing is no more humane than the electric chair. In my personal opinion if I had to choose how to be executed I’d rather be shot in the head more than anything. A firing squad is also a lot cheaper.

GiftClock

Quote from: BitClockPretty much my feelings exactly.

I think that the circumstances of the crime should be considered.

Like if I got home and caught my wife in bed with another man... and shot him for instance, I'd say that's less serious than going out and killing multiple people for kicks.  The former, I think, should not carry the death penalty.

RevolutionaryClock

In my opinion people should only be put to death in extreme situations. The point of isolating people from the rest of society should be to help them, not punish them. If someone shoots someone out of anger, that person should be spending time in therapy rather then just being locked away as punishment. The only time that killing another person should be acceptable is if one is in serious risk of being killed themselves without any options but to kill the opponent, or if someone it simply too dangerous to be left alive.

LimeClock

60 people isnt that much, should be more. Prisons are overcrowded.

I think like premeditated murder should be. But like manslaughter, stuff like accidently hitting someone, or somethign like that... should not be. Rapists should be castrated. They have a hard time in prison. very hard time. In the butt.

RevolutionaryClock

I don't think thats an effective solution at all. We need to go to the source and do a better job at preventing crime then just killing people and punishing them for their crimes. In the end, that just revenge. Its shit.

yoslow

I think roting in a cell for the rest of your life is a lot worse then being put to death.  Being raped, beat up, hurt, treated like crap in jail I think thats a worse punishment then death cause you have to deal with that every day for the rest of your life.  Try waking up evey day in a small cell and remember why you were there, that punishment is worse then ok you die done.  Personaly I think the death penalty is the easy way out.

Marlin Clock

Quote from: absintheIn my personal opinion if I had to choose how to be executed I’d rather be shot in the head more than anything. A firing squad is also a lot cheaper.
You have to think of the morality issue, it is pritty much killing in cold blood like they did, also most people in the law enforcement don't want to shoot people, it has to be on necessity, even in old times they needed to use a blank cartrige in one of the guns so that the men have the peace of mind that they could possibly not have killed him.
They did try an automatic firing squad back then, maybe that would work...[/COLOR]

Soup Clock

I despise the death penalty.  It's not so much the life that I care about, but the fact that the standards for it are so elastic.  Another downside is the uneven distribution of the death penalty throughout the states.
ass whore

HemoClock

The death penalty is a rough issue, I think that the victim's or family's relatives should have a great deal of involvement in the sentence.  I know that if someone murdered my whole family, I would be histerically angry.  Of course you have the men/women that dont even care that their being put to death, and laugh maniacally as the venom surges through their vains.

P.S: I like chocolate

RevolutionaryClock

Quote from: HylianClockOf course you have the men/women that dont even care that their being put to death, and laugh maniacally as the venom surges through their vains.

People who are likely insane and should be in a mental health facility or in extensive therapy rather then a prison.

Soup Clock

Quote from: RevolutionaryClockPeople who are likely insane and should be in a mental health facility or in extensive therapy rather then a prison.

Agreed.  I hate the Republican/conservative mindset "punishment over rehabilitation".  If you can make someone a better person, you may as well try it.
ass whore

HemoClock

that should be the case for  any criminal then eh? if what your saying is true, that every person can improve or change. not just the insane

RevolutionaryClock

the insane can't improve or change. For them its better to just isolate, but killing off those with a critical mental disorder is another thing. Those with other mental disorders though can improve, as can most people if given treatment, kept from a negative environment, and given the financial means to try.

doomscorpion

daeth penalty is wrong, no-one deserves to die apart from: terrorists (you know why!), Matt Harrison (that is personal!), murderers (gives them a taste of their own medicine!)

SageClock

Quote from: Absinthe ClockThe government spends billions of dollars every year to house, feed, clothe, and look after inmates who have committed crimes so horrible that they will never see the light of day.

True, but after all the appeals for death penalty cases, it actually costs 3 times more to put one man to death than it would be to keep him in prison for 40 years (average length of a life sentence).

Personally I don't see why a life sentence without parole isn't bad enough already.  Sure prisons have kind of their own little meta-society in them, but it's not a very fulfilling one.  And it gives the inmates plenty of time to reflect on their actions, and maybe even write about their experiences and give something back to society, without ever becoming a danger to it again.

PygmyClock

I don't think it's right for somone's life too be taken from them if it isn't just. If the persons mentality is corrupt, and s/he will never be a good person again, s/he should be killed. If the person could rehabilitate from the crimes s/he has done, they should be left too prison.

I would like to be shot in the head like absinthe, if ever I was set too execution, fast, effective and painless.
[flash]http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/8288/cctv2os3.swf width=200 height=200[/flash]

:)

Marlin Clock

All those thinking about death penalty vs. life/solitary should read this.
I'm not that much for the death penalty, but it has you thinking.

AbsintheClock

Quote from: Marlin_Clock
You have to think of the morality issue, it is pritty much killing in cold blood like they did, also most people in the law enforcement don't want to shoot people, it has to be on necessity, even in old times they needed to use a blank cartrige in one of the guns so that the men have the peace of mind that they could possibly not have killed him.
They did try an automatic firing squad back then, maybe that would work...

To kill in order to defend your home or country is a justifiable murder. If you're killing someone who is an immediate  danger to you or your country you should have no qualms about killing the bastard. By that I don't mean people with different ideaology. I mean people who kill other people, blow shit up, rape women, etc etc etc. I would have no qualms about putting one between the eyes of someone who broke into my house or commited such a horrible crime.

RomanClock

if you kill 1 person, rehab/prison for X years

if they kill more than 1 person ever = dealth penalty

killing as in 'for fum',  'attetion' , 'cuz', or when NOT defending yourself/someone else's life
lemayo lol :soups:

DiscoBallClock

I agree with Death Penalty, but only in serious cases. Think about it. People who do those hideous crimes can't go to rehab, they won't get better. And prison is just for less important crimes. Why should someone who killed people or something of the sort get free food, water and a place to stay? If they die, they will learn their lesson, even though they can't take any benefit from it anymore. Plus it'll make the criminals or the insane think twice before committing these crimes.

[FLASH=http://files.myfrogbag.com/kqk1bc/discosig.swf]http://width=300 height=200[/FLASH]