News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Brief reviews of movies you saw recently

Farted by StrangeClock, October 13, 2005, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapple

Doom 4/5

I'd easily say that its the best video game movie out there. Though its not saying much, Mortal Kombat did kick ass and Doom beats Mortal Kombat so it means its good enough to go on my DVD shelf.

Losperman

Quote from: LeekClockBatman Begins 4/5
Superb!

Indeed, I just watched it again last night on DVD. I looked all over for the two disc delux edition, which was $5 more, but with those Best Buy bucks from McDonald's I paid about the same price as the standard version. But I am curious as to what the point was taken off for in your review? I didn't see any negative feedback.
Sig by {{{Zombie Lincoln}}}

:capn: BUSTAS! :capn:

LeekClock

I save a 5/5 for best movie of all time type movies. Maybe a 4.5 would have been fairer though.

Losperman

Quote from: LeekClockI save a 5/5 for best movie of all time type movies. Maybe a 4.5 would have been fairer though.

Ah, I understand. That's usually why I use a 10/10 scale. The higher the number, the more specific the review. Batman Begins would, like yours, have received a 9.5/10 on mine. I loved most of it, but there could have been a more memorable score, like the first two movies. Music adds a lot to the feeling of a film, especially in relation to super heroes.

LeekClock

Now you mention it, the music didn't really blow me away! There's your half point sir. Take it and get outta here!

Losperman

Quote from: LeekClockNow you mention it, the music didn't really blow me away! There's your half point sir. Take it and get outta here!

Thank you, good day. I will see you in an hour for our afternoon tea.

ChocolateCoffin

Fight Club 4/5
Very Good, great acting all around and a good story. Although some of it is confusing.

Corpse Bride 2.5/5

Absolutely great animation, almost looks CG how smooth it is, but the story lets it down, I didn't really feel it.

ChocolateCoffin

SPOLIER ALERT

Like, when meatloaf meets him and says he cant talk about fight club, even though tyler is the guy who says the rule, and tyler is him.

talk about confusing.

camoclock is a great man

another movie

Team America:World Police

i lol'd

11 out of 10 :)   :)   :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)
poop

chocolatechipclock

Quote from: evilberryclockSPOLIER ALERT

Like, when meatloaf meets him and says he cant talk about fight club, even though tyler is the guy who says the rule, and tyler is him.

talk about confusing.

Fight Club is awesome.  Watch it again, because it shouldn't be very confusing.

StrangeClock

Quote from: evilberryclockSPOLIER ALERT

talk about confusing.

I might not be entirely right here since it's a while since I've seen the movie, but I think at that point in the movie, multiple Fight Clubs have started forming, and other guys besides Tyler have started leading these clubs under him. So, Bob (Meatloaf) has never actually seen Tyler at Fight Club (he thinks Tyler's almost a mythical figure).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ChocolateCoffin

Quote from: StrangeClockI might not be entirely right here since it's a while since I've seen the movie, but I think at that point in the movie, multiple Fight Clubs have started forming, and other guys besides Tyler have started leading these clubs under him. So, Bob (Meatloaf) has never actually seen Tyler at Fight Club (he thinks Tyler's almost a mythical figure).

But Bob says that he goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays (I think) so it's the same club.

ChocolateCoffin

American History X4/5
Very Good movie. Nice cast and an interesting plot.

LeekClock

Quote from: LospermanThank you, good day. I will see you in an hour for our afternoon tea.

I just remembered what the other half point is for:

"I gotta get me one of those!". Shudder.

Munglai

Quote from: chocolatechipclockOldboy: 10/10!

This is one of the best revenge stories ever told.  Oh yeah, and it's a foreign film.  It is about a man named Dae-su Oh who is kidnapped and held for fifteen years.  He is never told why he was kidnapped while he was in captivity.  When he was released, he took it upon himself to get revenge on whoever did this to him.  In the process of finding out his who and where his kidnapper was, he finds out more about himself, and why he was kidnapped.  The ending is shocking and sickening, and this film showcasing some of the finest acting ever.  You MUST see this fim.  It is very, very good.  If you don't think a movie in subtitles can be good, you're terribly mistaken.

Whooo! It's like the comeback of film noir only in Korean and colour and with more fight scenes. Well shot films are the best thing ever.

chocolatechipclock

Downfall: 10/10

Best war movie ever?
Yes.
This movie is about the "downfall" of the Third Reich.  The plot follows a woman who becomes secretery for Hitler.  However, there are tons of sub-plots throughout the movie.  Most of the movie takes place in just a few days in Hitler's underground bunker in Berlin, while the Russians are attacking the city.  Throughout the movie, many characters reveal how they have been disloyal to Hitler, and he falls into deeper and deeper depression.  Just a warning: this movie has more suicides than any other movie I've seen.  From what I hear, it is very historically accurate.  Also, the actor who plays Hitler does it extremely well.  He is very dramatic and really knows how to portray the dictator.

Anyway, this is definently better than great war movies such as Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, and Dr. Strangelove.  You should really watch it.  And oh yeah, the whole movie is in German, but you can use English subtitles.

LeekClock

Howl's Moving Castle 3.5/5

I had 3 hours free between lectures today so I slunked off to the cinema and this film was showing. Certainly could have found worse ways to spend my time! It was great.

It's a stunningly beautiful japanese animation set in a world of sorcerers and witches and genial scarecrows.

As I said, the story is beautifully told, with a cunning mixture of 3d and 2d work (all made to look 2d... an ever-more-frequent technique used these days).

Being japanese, the characters are pretty wacky (a talking fire... an emo sorcerer... vegemite footsoldiers), and the plot is pretty tedious. It's rather original and charming though, well worth watching if you like a good animation.

LeekClock

Quote from: chocolatechipclockDownfall: 10/10

Best war movie ever?

Certainly one of them! Great film

chocolatechipclock

Blue Velvet: 9.5/10

To sum it up: a classic David Lynch thriller.  Unlike Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, this movie isn't extremely confusing.  "Velvet" is about curious highschool student Jeffry (Kyle MacLachlan), who finds a human ear lying in the grass.  He reports it to his neighbor detective.  Jeffry is told that is not allowed to know the story behind the ear at the moment, but one day when the story is under wraps, he will tell Jeff.  However, he later met with the detective's daughter Sandy (Laura Dern), who helps him find connections to the case.  While most of the acting is sub-par, Dennis Hopper is incredible as the main villan.  His acting really makes the movie a thriller.  The story is great, too.  It's not my favorite Lynch film, but it's still excellent.

Dr. Watson

Quote from: SnappleDoom 4/5

I'd easily say that its the best video game movie out there. Though its not saying much, Mortal Kombat did kick ass and Doom beats Mortal Kombat so it means its good enough to go on my DVD shelf.

Better than advent children and RE: apocalypse?

OH SNAP