News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Brief reviews of movies you saw recently

Farted by StrangeClock, October 13, 2005, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaClock

Office Space

I recently Picked this one up from Hollywood Video, since it seems popular. I have to say that this movie was funny, and good to watch. It had a plot to it as well, work sucks rebell against it. It just was funny to watch, and had a grwat ending..

A  :fifen:  out of  :fifen:

LeekClock

The Brothers Grimm - 1.5/5

Pig swill.

Set in French-Occupied Germany, and all the characters speak with either a regional English accent or a poorly imitated French accent. Full of stereotypes and cheap jokes, the most of which are stolen from somewhere else.

The plot is a garbled mixture of old ideas and stories, forced together in an uninventive manner, relying on the Grimm name to justify it's miserable lack of coherance.

It's a kids film, shut up, leek?

Yeah maybe, but it still stinks. It's every shitty fantasy-movie cliche rolled into one steaming ball of unoriginality and tedium.

I could tell it was going to be crappy, and usually I wouldn't have gone to see it. I recommend you avoid it like the plague.

chocolatechipclock

The 25th Hour: 10/10

Maybe this is a bit biased because Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors, but this movie was very good.  It's about a drug dealer who gets caught and the moments that lead up to him going to prison for 7 years.  Norton basicly re-examines his life with his best friends, and it shows the emotional hardship of what it's like to know you're going to go to hell for 7 years.

The "bathroom scene monolouge" was the greatest monolouge I can remember seeing in a movie.  You should really see this movie.  Norton shines, and the story is good, too.

StrangeClock

The Machinist - 3.5/5

Quite a weird movie, fantastic performance by Christian Bale here, and yet all the time I was mostly amazed by what he'd done to himself, the incredible weight loss. For the most part the movie was pretty good, I was just stuck with the idea that it didn't offer much new material. I've seen too many movies with the main character becoming acquainted with a bizarre person who turns out to only exist in their head. If not for that feeling I'd give it a 4/4.5. Great ending too, though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chocolatechipclock

Quote from: StrangeClockThe Machinist - 3.5/5

Quite a weird movie, fantastic performance by Christian Bale here, and yet all the time I was mostly amazed by what he'd done to himself, the incredible weight loss. For the most part the movie was pretty good, I was just stuck with the idea that it didn't offer much new material. I've seen too many movies with the main character becoming acquainted with a bizarre person who turns out to only exist in their head. If not for that feeling I'd give it a 4/4.5. Great ending too, though.

Yea, it's a decent movie, but the ending is too predictable.  I'd give it a 7.5/10 or so.

Anyway,

Dogville: 9.5/10

Over 3 hours, but not once did I feel anxious for the movie to end.  It really went by fast.  It's about a woman (Nicole Kidman) who suddenly shows up at the small town of Dogville, and is taken in by Tom Edison (Paul Bettany, and this Edison has nothing to do with the inventor).  The most noticable thing about the film is the setting.  Every house is invisible, so you can see what people are doing inside them all at once.  It is a highly original style, which is hard to understand at first if you're not told about it in advance.
Anyway, I highly recommend this.  It really displays Nicole Kidman's talent, and the creativity of the director Lars Von Trier.  When the movie is over, it will leave you thinking.

LeekClock

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 4/5 (+ brownie points for somewhat-animated intro)

Great, fun movie. Clever script (bordering on smartass/self-indulgent) with great comic acting. The plot gets a little tedious, but there's always something interesting/exciting/funny going on, so the plot ends up not being so important.

Some memorable and hilarious moments.

-1 point because the narration gets a bit overdone, and because the plot is a bit messy. Might have benefitted from some more music too, to season this meaty dish.

It gets brownie points for bringing back the good old ANIMATED TITLE SEQUENCE at the beginning. That was pretty snazzy.

LeekClock

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - 2/5

...Nah.

It gets two points for managing to be quirky and dull simultaneously.

chocolatechipclock

Dawn of the Dead (2004): 3/10

Boring, not scary, just plain senseless violence.  Perhaps I give it such a low rating because I was drifting in and out of sleep while watching it, but I doubt I'd like it anyway.

Insomnia: 7/10

Not bad... not much to say about this movie, but it's worth a watch if you can't think of any other movie to rent.

LeekClock

Sin City - 4/5

Finally got around to seeing it. The only characters I particularly liked were Hartigan, and Marv - Hartigan being the only character who i felt any sort of empathy for. The others read their lines a bit stiffly for the most part. Marv's character had great energy and delivery though. The girls were a bit weak in their delivery, even the hardass oldtown girls.

The visuals blew me away. I loved every aspect of the cinematography.

The plot could have been a bit tighter. Pretty solid film though, i enjoyed it.

chocolatechipclock

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: 8/10

Pretty good.  It was about as good as the 3rd one.  I would've rated 10/10, but there's still no sex scenes with Hermione.

LeekClock

Harry Potter GoF - 3.5/5

I agree with chocolate chip, but if you want a needlessly long and dorky review, here she is:

Best film of the four so far. They get better and better (although, like with the books, i predict the next one will be lacklustre).

Mike Newell's direction was a force much appreciated by those of us who like to see FILMS when we go to see a film, and not visualised books. Steve Kloves excelled this time around, with the script. The scripts are becoming more and more structured, which I like. We're getting to the stage now, where he's interlocking each scene with another, and making every minute of screentime count - as opposed to before when i felt the films were ambling along vapidly, struggling to keep up with the book and trying, all the while, to keep all the snotty little fans happy. This time around, they've made a film that's pretty solid in its own right.

The acting has improved in the youngsters, probably thanks to Mike Newell's "start from scratch" approach to their acting. He set up acting workshops for them, which was a good move. Although Radcliffe's performance is still pretty wooden and monotone, the other two leads have perfected their characters rather well I think. It's a shame that Harry's character is the one so poorly conveyed, when he is the centre of the entire saga. Oh well, at least there was so much going on this time, that the focus wasn't always completely on him.

On the whole, I was quite impressed with the film, and I think it's the most solid, emotional, dark and exciting of all four so far. The visuals were great - the graveyard was very powerful. Newell shows great craft with the way he sets up the shots, and composes the scene.

GreyClock

Quote from: CorpseGrinderClockHi

Why would you need your own thread.

chocolatechipclock

Quote from: CorpseGrinderClockJason Issacs, the actor who plays Lucious Malfoy, would have been far better suited to play Voldemort.

They should've had Christopher Walkin, Joe Pesci,or Dennis Hopper... imagine that!

Hate Clock

I personally love Ralph Fiennes, and thought he did an excellent job.  However, they absolutely raped the books in this one, so it was hard for me to enjoy it.  They cut out more than several highly important parts of the book, and added that I'm a edgy teen tongue flick foreshadowing, basically beating the audience over the head with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ChocolateCoffin

Quote from: TurtleSoupFear and Loathing in Las Vegas: 10/10
We can't stop here this is bat country.

As your attorny I advise you to.....

StrangeClock

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I wouldn't want to compare it to the Gene Wilder version. It's just fun to see the story visualized with a complete new take. Tim Burton's pretty good at making a "fair" kids movie, in that he doesn't give kid characters the breaks most other moviemakers feel they need to so as to not upset anyone. Though, I don't think that was something missing from the old version. I feel that Johnny Depp's funny awkward performance might've been more entertaining to the older audience than the kids, too. Well, there's much I could say about it but I'd just be holding it against the old version or the book. A fun, sweet, dare I say cheeky movie. Tee hee.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

StrangeClock

War of the Worlds

Wow, a lot better than I expected. I wish I'd gone to see it in the theatre, I'm a sucker for end-of-the-world type disaster movies. I appreciated that Tom Cruise's character wasn't too likeable for most of the movie, and SPOILER I thought it was pretty ballsy to put in the scene where he, assumably, kills crazy Tim Robbins, off screen as it may be.

There were several moments that made me cringe a little, like SPOILER the son going "I have to see, I have to see" while stuff was blowing up just over the hill (dude, you don't even have a gun! What's your master plan?), him just happening to appear at the end of the movie (yeah, saw it coming, but they could've made at least some effort to make it plausible), the little girl's character being changed every two seconds (after everything she suddenly finds the energy to scream just because a tripod gets shot at the end of the movie), and of course, all the times when Tom Cruise conveniently doesn't get blasted when everybody around him does. The ending was a little weak and unspectacular too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LeekClock

Quote from: StrangeClockWar of the Worlds

I agree, Strange. It started out awesomely, and then fell flat on its face.

The trailer was really good, too. But the narration is taken pretty much straight from the book, iirc.

Spoylerrrr!!!11

I felt totally SCREWED OVER to find out that that stupid kid was still alive. Like.. oh my god, you're willing to sacrifice the film's integrity and edge, just to get a happy ending? Screw you, hollywood. The ending was totally weak - not just about the kid.

The opening scenes and the invasion scenes were great on the big screen though, with full surround sound and such. Shame it fell apart.

Factotum - 2/5

You're watching it, waiting for something to happen in the plot that will justify its length... But it never comes.

If this were a short film, say 30 minutes, it would have been really great. 4/5 maybe

Something I found odd about the film was that the editor, director, and most of the film crew were norwegians, and the film was made in association with various norwegian film organisations... but it's set in america and stars matt dillon (who was pretty good in it).

chocolatechipclock

I didn't really like War of the Worlds... I thought the visuals were extremely unconvincing and cheesy.  It looked like Half-Life 2, but not as fun.  Also, the ending was just terrible.  Not as bad as the Matrix Revolutions, per say, but still bad.

LeekClock

Quote from: chocolatechipclockIt looked like Half-Life 2

Ajaja, i had just been playing HL2 at the time before I saw it..

OMGwtfstriders? Run Freeman!