News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Those of you who choose to interpret the bible

Farted by RomanClock, March 19, 2008, 09:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCheshireClock

Quote from: Δ;1258196if we are all part of god, we are all sons of god. jesus was no more important than you or me.

suck on dat boyz

Jesus was the only begotten son of God, where as we are God's children in metaphor (Unless your Mormon.)
Jesus was (and still is) supposedly the Messiah, which is sorta like an Avatar of God.

AmberArachnidClock

You can also look at historical documents to see what might actually have happened.

AlbinoClock

Quote from: Mr. Game and Clock;1259382Jesus was the only begotten son of God, where as we are God's children in metaphor (Unless your Mormon.)
Jesus was (and still is) supposedly the Messiah, which is sorta like an Avatar of God.

Nothing metaphorical about it. Learn your Hebrew, boy.

AlbinoClock

Well, they're all somewhat metaphorical, or at least they set out to prove a point. It's impossible to know which, if any, biblical stories have any historical basis, but in the end it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Whether Genesis actually happened or is just a way of demonstrating various aspects of man's relationship to God is irrelevant. We are where we are now, some people think that these stories can assist them in getting to where they'd like to be. Whether or not they're true doesn't really matter.

TheCheshireClock

Honestly, even when I was a kid, I could tell that Genesis was metaphor. We can't come form only two people, that would be incest, which causes I'm a edgy teen kids, and is considered sin. Thats why the south is so fucked up.

Ti-83Clock

you guys do know that the bible was written by people... right?
the old testament was mostly written to explain their origins.  Much like how the incans thought the sun god created them... etc.  
you "pick and choose" what things are metaphors and real by looking at the historical context.  Is genesis a metaphor? yes, people were trying to explain their origins.  Is jesus a metaphor? no, there are other records that indicate that jesus existed.  Then the almighty... is the resurrection a metaphor? that is left to faith.

some things are clearly metaphors, others are historical, and yet some other are left to faith

there is no clean way to cut this

(monthly post lol >_>)

Kodiakclock

Quote from: YoYoClock;1903849
KodiakClock - Super Butt

Loki Clock

Quote from: Δ;1257784basically: your bible beliefs should follow this guideline, anything else is conflicting and makes you not a very smart person.

if genesis is a metaphor, then jesus being the son of god is a metaphor

Jesus being the son of god isn't precisely metaphor, but a description of a literal relationship the man has with God, who is a symbolic construct.

Most of the New Testament is metaphor. Most of the literal accounts (which are very interesting, highly subjective interpretations of real, natural, historical events as acts of god) come from the Old Testament.

Marlin Clock

Quote from: ZeitmiserZeitmesser;1263258Jesus being the son of god isn't precisely metaphor, but a description of a literal relationship the man has with God, who is a symbolic construct.

Most of the New Testament is metaphor. Most of the literal accounts (which are very interesting, highly subjective interpretations of real, natural, historical events as acts of god) come from the Old Testament.
Why does anything "natural" automatically become accidental? What says God did not originally make certain these natural conditions as means of using it when he wanted to?

Also there are plenty of metaphors in the New Testiment, I'll give you that, but that's all in the Parables and the Letters. There are still parts that are of Jesus's life, and not metaphors.

Loki Clock

Quote from: Marlix Wright;1263273Why does anything "natural" automatically become accidental? What says God did not originally make certain these natural conditions as means of using it when he wanted to?

I've thought of this as well. It could be that some of these things could have been planned. Certainly "a volcano" isn't the last thing that comes to mind when you think of gods wreaking havoc. The ones accounting for the events having no way of knowing God's exact manner of accomplishing the acts doesn't prevent them from being acts of God. That being a possibility hinges on whether or not you believe God is a real manifest consciousness. A sentient, supernatural being.

Marlin Clock

Well the Parables are definite metaphors, they were stories meant to tell lessons through symbolism.

TheCheshireClock

Quote from: Δ;1263227your post was worthless ti-83clock.

stop telling me "this is the way people do it" because i ALREADY FUCKING GOT THAT. now try explaining why they do it that way.

don't post unless you can explain why, im not going to read it.

key word is why.

im going to repeat the word why over and over until you finally get it.

i dont care what they interpret as what, i care about why.

why.

Because they fuckin' wanna.

Marlin Clock

Quote from: CadillacClock;1263296We wouldn't have so many different branches of the same religion if this weren't true.
How are you denying this? They are stories Jesus told, powerful lessons on how to lead one's life as a christian, but stories no less.

Marlin Clock

Quote from: CadillacClock;1263334I am pointing out the greater flaw in this discussion.

But that's the flaw in every religion discussion. That's why I stopped doing them.

Munglai

Quote from: Δ;1263227your post was worthless ti-83clock.

stop telling me "this is the way people do it" because i ALREADY FUCKING GOT THAT. now try explaining why they do it that way.

don't post unless you can explain why, im not going to read it.

key word is why.

im going to repeat the word why over and over until you finally get it.

i dont care what they interpret as what, i care about why.

why.

Because people are flawed and will do whatever they like.

Even though I'm not all that religious I personally feel that religion is awesome because it's so loose and free to interpretation and it makes rigid-brained people like you go "boo hoo I don't get it".

Loki Clock

Quote from: CadillacClock;1263506I'll take freedom of choice, philosophy of ethics and morality over religion.

lolololololololololol

Religion is philosophical doctrine concerning heavily with ethics and morality (which aren't the same thing at all) and the variations in interpretation are the result of freedom of choice.

The Bible is mixed with history and legal documents, too. All sorts of shit.

Quote from: CadillacClock;1263288None of you can conclude what was and wasn't a metaphor. No one can give a definitive answer because each person takes the Bible with a different interpretation and varying historical evidence. There is no correct way to interpret the Bible because no proper method exist.

Yeah. Why are you so angry about it? Even if something you learn from it isn't the intended meaning of the passage, you have realized a philosophical truth.

FluxCapacitorClock

Quote from: Munglai;1263430it's so loose and free to interpretation

Certainly not. One of the last times I set foot in a church, the preacher was talking about Jesus' resurrection. This was during the time when I was still grappling with faith, deciding whether or not I wanted to continue believing in it all or not. After the service I asked her, basically, if Jesus' apparent resurrection and the events which took place afterward could simply be taken as a metaphor for how even though Jesus died, he and his word lives on with us.

She told me no, he literally did rise from the dead. I distinctly remember her saying "No Kyle, that's not the truth at all".

Topcatyo

Quote from: FluxCapacitorClock;1263816She told me no, he literally did rise from the dead. I distinctly remember her saying "No Kyle, that's not the truth at all".
Gotta remember that that's not the religion saying that, it's the preacher.

FluxCapacitorClock

Quote from: Officer Michaels;1263823Gotta remember that that's not the religion saying that, it's the preacher.

Can't argue there, I suppose.

Marlin Clock

But he did raise from the dead. Guy doesn't tell his people he's going to do it five times just to mean it's a metaphor.

He died to forgive us of our sins and free the ancient people from limbo(I forget what the Jews exactly call it) and rose from the dead.

What I guess you could say is that the physical body of Jesus died, and the spirit rose three days later.

And all the letters say Jesus died and rose, if it was merely metaphorical wouldn't the apostles letters say he just died?