News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

The drinking age.

Farted by AbsintheClock, November 08, 2008, 01:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreyClock

Just had a couple Jägermeisters and now I'm going to post in this thread.

Quote from: Patriot's Bitch;1445665Since when are Christians supposed to just lay back and let the cards lay as they fall? We're supposed to help people.
I'm an atheist, please allow me to help you get rid of your ridiculous beliefs. You'd say something along the lines of, "No, fuck off."

Exactly.

Marlin Clock

Why's that? What possible reason do I have to not help someone if they are destroying themselves?

GreyClock

Quote from: Patriot's Bitch;1445687Why's that? What possible reason do I have to not help someone if they are destroying themselves?
Because it's none of your damn business.

Marlin Clock

Quote from: GreyClock;1445685I'm an atheist, please allow me to help you get rid of your ridiculous beliefs. You'd say something along the lines of, "No, fuck off."

Exactly.
Yes, because Christianity is threatening my life :rolleyes:

PirateClock

Quote from: Patriot's Bitch;1445687Why's that? What possible reason do I have to not help someone if they are destroying themselves?

The realization that they are adults who can decide for themselves.
_pirate_butchcavities (20:29:15): FUCK CLOCKS _pirate_

PirateClock

Quote from: Patriot's Bitch;1445693Yes, because Christianity is threatening my life :rolleyes:

Christianity ruined more lives then alcohol that's for sure.

but let's not get into that.

Maltese

what reason do you have to meddle in other people's affairs?

you do not intend to help them, you intend to remove personal freedoms.

Marlin Clock

I'm done. You guys can keep your nonsense logic.

PirateClock

Maltese

Marlin, you think you have the moral imperative to intervene into someone else's life; but not everyone agrees with your morality, and for damn sure, no one wants your help.

GreyClock

Most of us don't believe in an eternal after life of beautiful golden meadows and Sunday afternoon picnics. We just want to make the most do with this short life we got, and we don't need moral crusaders limiting that in any way, shape or form.

Maltese

Quote from: GreyClock;1445718Most of us don't believe in an eternal after life of mooi golden meadows and Sunday afternoon picnics. We just want to make the most do with this short life we got, and we don't need moral crusaders limiting that in any way, shape or form.

THANK YOU

Loki Clock

Quote from: Maltese;1445722THANK YOU

Says a moral crusader.

Quote from: Patriot's Bitch;1445680You're saying the families of alcoholics aren't hurt by watching their loved one wasting away from abuse?

Only butthurt. They're meddling too. It's not their business to tear themselves up over other people's choices.

AbsintheClock

Right... Well I'm not going to argue that alcohol can be very self destructive. That would be very silly to claim such a thing. I will say that alcoholism affects all age groups, and a silly law is not going to do anything about it. Besides if a 16 year old kid really wanted to get fucked up he could just drink mouthwash which is perfectly legal to buy. But then again nobody talks about that. And do you really think the lady at Wal-Mart is going to let her good Christian values get in the way of some kid buying a bottle of Listerine? At least the poor kid will be safer drinking cheap vodka. Not to mention at the age of 16 parents still have a say in terms of guardianship and medical care. At 18 odds are you'll probably have a friend who's 21 and will do packie runs for you. By then there is no point.

There's nothing wrong with helping people like Marlin wants to, but when you start to make it law that's where problems start. In all senses of the word (including morally) government is the problem.

PropagandaClock

Here buying alcohol is limited to 18, and you can buy from the supreme alcohol institute at the age of 21
but everyone drinks before that

only idiots drink irresponsible.

but I drink to much, and I just want to drink every second... maybe because I hate myself I don't know but alcohol just makes everything better.
[flash]http://files.myfrogbag.com/ses6on/Space.swf Width=450 height=175[/flash]

Al Sharpton ☻

They should make the drinking age 16 and the legally drunk age 21. Some people would follow it but no one would know anyway so...
Know to not be funny. Haha

Ingram-J/WristbandClock

Quote from: joliet_jane;1444276As always, crappy parents are a problem.
Tell that to the parents of all these floods of little 10 year old shits on XBL. I tell ya, it's torture. Something is really wrong if you meet foul mouthed homophobic 10 year olds on Gears of War.

Maltese

Quote from: Not Blackmagic;1446054Says a moral crusader.

Religion is self destructive, but it also directly harms others.

AbsintheClock

Quote from: Ingram-J/WristbandClock;1446184Tell that to the parents of all these floods of little 10 year old shits on XBL. I tell ya, it's torture. Something is really wrong if you meet foul mouthed homophobic 10 year olds on Gears of War.

Actually this is a solid point. Video games are known for the off chance of hooking younger people causing problems. But we don't necessarily ban it. We put a silly little "M" label on a lot of games, but that doesn't stop much beyond buying it. It's not even that video games, alcohol, or anything else that can be addicting is the problem. The problem is bad parenting. If it were my kid, I'd just punish them.

Of course there's the argument that parents are busy and can't always watch their kids. If you have a hectic lifestyle where you or your spouse can't be there for your kid then either hire a nanny or stop having fucking kids. There are so many people in this world who shouldn't breed for the sole fact that they are irresponsible individuals. Parenting is a tough job, and the decision to become one isn't something that should be taken lightly.

By the way Maltese this thread is about drinking, not about how much you dislike religion. Yes sometimes religion likes to butt it's head into other people's business. In any such case, just close the door and tell them "have a nice day." That's the beautiful thing about this country is you don't have to listen to anybody. Furthermore religion is not the enemy, simply an opponent of a lot of legislation you'd probably like to pass. Instead of whining about the moral fiber, and institution of religion you should consider just making a better argument than them. To do otherwise would just be more of that silly ad hominem that you love to talk about. (See what I did there?)

The way we teach kids to be decent human beings is by setting a good example, and correcting them when they do something stupid. By correcting them I mean taking away their stuff, making them clean particularly unappealing parts of the house, grounding them, or something. Should you do this properly, they will more than likely turn out to be responsible adults.

With that in mind I'm all for responsibility, accountability, and liberty. Taking away booze is not going to solve the problem but rather contribute to it. We've learned this with prohibition, and we're learning it with every tax dollar we waste on busting up silly little backyard parties. I know I'm repeating myself, but I've yet to really be rebutted with anything.

AlbinoClock

Quote from: GreyClock;1445718Most of us don't believe in an eternal after life of mooi golden meadows and Sunday afternoon picnics. We just want to make the most do with this short life we got, and we don't need moral crusaders limiting that in any way, shape or form.

I don't know about all that golden meadow shit but I'm pretty certain consciousness doesn't go away after the death of the body and I still think we should enjoy what we've got while it's here. That's clearly what it's for.