News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

The drinking age.

Farted by AbsintheClock, November 08, 2008, 01:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maltese

Quote from: joliet_jane;1444276As always, crappy parents are a problem.

I've been saying this shit for years.

TruncheonClock

18 in the UK always has been

(although now you need to prove your age if you look younger than 21)
Uh-huh
Surfaces once every so often, As though he's unable to let go of the past

AlbinoClock

Quote from: joliet_jane;1444276It should be legal for minors to imbibe with parental supervision. This is as it should be, because it's their job to raise them. As always, crappy parents are a problem.

The U.S. drinking age is ridiculous. I've been to Canada many times, and at age 19 I was the same person over the border that I was below it.

Sort of, but regardless of how involved they might want to be, the school raises their kids. When the kid's out of school they want to do shit with their friends. Doesn't leave a lot of time for parenting. Of course, that's by design. The mass schooling system we use is based on the one developed in Prussia after WWI as part of an effort to increase nationalism. The entire point is to focus away from individual families toward the larger body of society.

DiscoBallClock

16 over here(Portugal). As for the age of consent, it's 14-18.

I agree with these numbers. It can teach young people about responsibility, there should however be some sort of process defining whether the person is or not responsible in order to avoid trouble.

[FLASH=http://files.myfrogbag.com/kqk1bc/discosig.swf]http://width=300 height=200[/FLASH]

Loki Clock

Quote from: Masquatto;1443900To the young, drinking is seen as a way to party, be obnoxious, and let themselves go wild with their friends. They drink not to calm down or loosen up--like their parents usually would--but make it an activity in and of itself.

If you need to drink to calm down you have a problem, not maturity. That's what we like to call an addiction.

Maltese

guys, shut up, who cares, it's only drinking

people should be free to do whatever self-destructive thing they want

only when it comes to harming others should it become an issue.

Loki Clock

Quote from: Masquatto;1443900This is not to mention the standard "drinking shouldn't be higher up than dying in battle or voting" dingen.

That's not the point of the age of consent. Otherwise everything would be age-controlled based on degree of honorability. You must be this high to duel.

Masquatto

Quote from: Fucko;1444308If you need to drink to calm down you have a problem, not maturity. That's what we like to call an addiction.

I don't drink, but if I did, having a drink to calm down is rather normal, and wouldn't hurt me or other people in any way (addiction is when it negatively affects other parts of your life). The point was that if you be mature enough to only drink a little--enough to calm yourself down, but not get hammered--then I don't see the problem in you drinking.

I wasn't trying to suggest that NEEDING alcohol is a sign of maturity, and I find it unnecessary that you even bother to talk about it when you know (or, at least, really should've been able to figure out) that such wasn't my intention.

Quote from: Fucko;1444314That's not the point of the age of consent. Otherwise everything would be age-controlled based on degree of honorability. You must be this high to duel.

If you're old enough to kill or be killed, I don't care if they call it honor or judgment or maturity or brain development--you're old enough to have a beer. It's a matter of principle. If they have the right to end your life at a specific age, you deserve to choose how you live at that age.

And if you're going to talk about realistic problems with underaged drinking, just look at the larger portion of my first post.
At gmail

Marlin Clock

I don't drink. I don't understand why others can't seem to hold onto any kind of self-control.
It's not even my raising or anything, my parents most definitely are not anti-drinkers. I've even been offered it by my parents a few times.

Loki Clock

Quote from: Patriot's Bitch;1444451I don't drink. I don't understand why others can't seem to hold onto any kind of self-control.

People who drink don't usually do so because of lapses in self-control or judgement. There are people who desire to drink, maybe unlike yourself, and it isn't a guilty pleasure, either. There is no part of their conscience telling them that getting drunk every now and then is irresponsible or wrong simply because of the fact that alcohol is a drug.

It's not a matter of temptation, is what I'm saying. If it were, you would probably be just as susceptible to it and be inclined to understand why people "can't hold onto any kind of self-control."

AbsintheClock

Or maybe Marlin doesn't drink because he doesn't want to. Maybe he doesn't like the taste of it or something who knows. Either way I think an early introduction to alcohol will lead to a more responsible means of drinking habits. As for the dumbshits who ruin it, they're going to do it anyhow.

FluxCapacitorClock

I'm 18 I don't feel like I need to get drunk, or even drink. On the occasions that I do want to though, it isn't difficult to just stay in my dorm.

I have the same feeling about the drinking age as I have toward marijuana laws. It isn't hard to hide either of them if you actually are responsible about it. If you get caught and in trouble, you evidently weren't being responsible about it and therefore I guess the laws are justified.

Loki Clock

Quote from: Flux;1444569I'm 18 I don't feel like I need to get drunk, or even drink. On the occasions that I do want to though, it isn't difficult to just stay in my dorm.

I have the same feeling about the drinking age as I have toward marijuana laws. It isn't hard to hide either of them if you actually are responsible about it. If you get caught and in trouble, you evidently weren't being responsible about it and therefore I guess the laws are justified.

Responsible use does not necessarily require that the use be hidden. In fact it's the opposite, because if you need to hide it it means you're doing it when you shouldn't be, like when you're at work. And most people are arrested for marijuana use within their own homes, as a result of a search or intrusion by the police. Besides that, what if you want to get high out in the daylight, like at the park on a nice day? I think it's an underthought qualifier of responsibility.

WarCorrespondentClock

I drink, but I don't drink to excess. Getting full just doesn't appeal to me.

Also hangovers are a bitch.

FluxCapacitorClock

Quote from: Fucko;1444579Responsible use does not necessarily require that the use be hidden. In fact it's the opposite, because if you need to hide it it means you're doing it when you shouldn't be, like when you're at work. And most people are arrested for marijuana use within their own homes, as a result of a search or intrusion by the police. Besides that, what if you want to get high out in the daylight, like at the park on a nice day? I think it's an underthought qualifier of responsibility.

Public highness should be treated the same as public drunkenness, first of all. So getting high at a park would still be unacceptable. And no, drug raids do not account for the majority of incarcerations of marijuana users. Most marijuana users get in trouble because they found it absolutely necessary to have and use pot outside the safety of their home. Drug raids are the minority. Even in a college dorm... if I got baked or drunk off my ass right now this very second no one would know. Because no one else is here. Therefore I'm not getting caught, because I'm in the safety of a private home-ish environment.

Responsibility with mind-altering substances, in my book, means that you are staying at home if you intend to do a substantial amount. If you intend to get drunk or high, you should be in the safety of a home, be it yours or a friend's. Having one or two drinks at a restaurant is fine. But if you intend to get incoherently drunk, even at a bar, you aren't doing the right thing. You should be in the safety of a home.

AbsintheClock

Quote from: Flux;1444952Public highness should be treated the same as public drunkenness, first of all. So getting high at a park would still be unacceptable. And no, drug raids do not account for the majority of incarcerations of marijuana users. Most marijuana users get in trouble because they found it absolutely necessary to have and use pot outside the safety of their home. Drug raids are the minority.

Responsibility with mind-altering substances, in my book, means that you are staying at home if you intend to do a substantial amount. If you intend to get drunk or high, you should be in the safety of a home, be it yours or a friend's. Having one or two drinks at a restaurant is fine. But if you intend to get incoherently drunk, even at a bar, you aren't doing the right thing. You should be in the safety of a home.

I disagree. Public drunkeness is much more dangerous than being high in public. Drug raids don't happen but brown nosers do like to point these silly things out. All that aside we need some tolerance when it comes to a little bit of uh... Stupidity. We are all stupid people who do stupid things. Instead of throwing people in jail for silly stupid things they should simply get a slap on the wrist. The law may work in the sense that it busts irresponsible people, but it doesn't work in the sense that the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Loki Clock

Quote from: Groucho Marx;1444552Or maybe Marlin doesn't drink because he doesn't want to. Maybe he doesn't like the taste of it or something who knows.

That's what I meant. His "self-control" is not relevant because he doesn't want to drink to begin with. I'm allergic to and hate the taste of carrots, so my amazing perseverance in abstaining from carrots shouldn't be used to judge people who love carrots and are struggling with abstaining from carrot munching. Dicks.

Thor

For the risk of sounding like a loser;

I've never drunken, never plan to drink, and I can't believe such a ridiculous practice is so popular. I recognize it has health benefits in small doses, but nobody drinks it like that.

But, I still respect that people should have the right to do such things if they want to. It's not the governments place to tell you what you can or can not do to your own body. If people want to use mind altering drugs or even guzzle draino that's their right.

16 is plenty old enough to understand the situation.
Quote from: MafiaMettaurWhat the hell is with that shit you posted? You know what, I'm joining the Locks, just to stop stuff like you!
Quote from: polyhedronclockYou're a fucking clock, what else do you have?
To be fair, you don't have anything. Clocks are just machines that tick.

Joey 57857

They should just make it 18 if you can vote and die for your country at this age you should be able to drink!

Marlin Clock

Quote from: Fucko;1445046That's what I meant. His "self-control" is not relevant because he doesn't want to drink to begin with. I'm allergic to and hate the taste of carrots, so my amazing perseverance in abstaining from carrots shouldn't be used to judge people who love carrots and are struggling with abstaining from carrot munching. Dicks.
I think being allergic to something and not partaking in it is a different situation all together.