News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

ITT: Albums purchased recently

Farted by HotPocketClock, January 12, 2009, 09:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClock

Preordered this. Pretty pumped for it.

EvilBeanClock

Quote from: RobClock;1923955Preordered this. Pretty pumped for it.

omg omg its finally happening

TequilaClock

pop-tart

Coheed & Cambria: Afterman Ascension

6/10

This album is a bit of a mess. An enjoyable mess, but a mess.

With the return of Josh Eppard on drums, there is a clear attempt to return to the band's roots after a dissapointing release with Black Rainbow.

It's the story if Sirius Amory, the scientist who discovers the keywork which encompasses the solar system in the C&C universe. Sirius encounters (and his body is taken over by) various "entities." The album art is worth the ten bucks alone.. as it takes you through each of these possessions.

The album opens with a dramatic piano instrumental that contains elements of the classic Amory theme from their earlier work. It flows right into their first single, and the first entity encounter, Domino The Destitute, which could have been plucked straight off of IKSSE or GA1. So far, the "old school" Coheed fans will be ecstatic.

We then take a right turn into the title track. You know when Smashing Pumpkins comes on the radio and you immediately change the station? Yeah. Skip button.

Mothers Of Men is slightly enjoyable. The lyrical meter is almost hip-hopish at times... spewed with an Eminem like angst. No idea what they're singing about. Could've swore I heard the word Chewbacca in there.

Goodnight Fair Lady.. we're right back into classic Coheed. This sounds like Faint Of Hearts meets Blood Red Summer meets The Suffering. With nothing "new" to enjoy... I find myself skipping this too.

Now we meet the second entity.. with the most enjoyable track, the aptly named Holly Wood the Cracked. I say aptly because this has a Sunset Strip, Motley Crue, GnR kick in the kidneys to it. Raw riffs... raw lyrics.

Vic The Butcher comes next. Not a bad song, per se. More classic Coheed to enjoy. The reason it doesn't work is because Vic is supposed to be the most vicious of the entities.. with obvious throwbacks to Al The Killer in KS. But the song is inferior to the previous track, sucking the momentum out of the plot. Meh, maybe it's just me.

Well, Vic does a huge number on Sirius... and he is basically 'saved' by a kinder entity, Evagria The Faithful. We are now back in "stop trying to be artsy" mode. Like they're trying to be modern and retro at the same time. 70s groove funk meets R2-D2 beeps and whistles. It just doesn't work.

Like so many of their albums before, the album fades out on a chipmunky acoustic piece, this one called Subtraction. At this point, I've been losing interest since Holly Wood and usually just shut the thing off. Maybe one day I will listen to the entire last song.

d u m p y

d u m p y

also this

and this

i'm ashamed of the fact that i didn't already own both

Losperman

Sig by {{{Zombie Lincoln}}}

:capn: BUSTAS! :capn:

Losperman

Holy crap, a three month old double post.

+Inception soundtrack
+Muse: The 2nd Law
+Fiona Apple: The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
Sig by {{{Zombie Lincoln}}}

:capn: BUSTAS! :capn:

d u m p y

EvilBeanClock

charles manson - air
steve roach - structures from silence

TequilaClock

Outrun is FUCKING great

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I love this album so much, you can listen to the whole thing for free here. It's weird breakcore music, outside that I'm not sure how to describe it. I have never heard anything quite like this besides maybe Lauren's previous band Nero's Day At Disneyland. However This album is more "musical" I think. The vocals bring to mind Throbbing Gristle just a bit, the music is just all over the place and spans a wide variety of styles and emotions. Here's a couple songs I really liked off it.

Seraphim Sliding Backwards

That Was Everything That I Owned

Pulling Down Never

TequilaClock

I guess it was intended to be obvious I already owned Cross, but I didn't, so I bought it two weeks ago.

Also, this one will arrive around April 15th.

I really like Kraftwerk, you guys.

Hey Dumpster let's be Kraftwerk bros

TequilaClock

TequilaClock

Finally.

I am still surprised Kraftwerk hasn't released official CDs of this.

TequilaClock

VCRClock

I keep different mental lists of "albums I want" and "albums I should already have"
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

patriotclock