News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomCatClock

you were his long lost niece and you inherited one of the tickets to paradise

RobClock

another weekend past, another window installed https://imgur.com/a/PlB0iL3

My old man assisted me on account of the size of the goddam thing I couldnt feasibly pick it up and hold it in place myself. While we were putting in the shims to centre it in the frame, i had to bend over to pick up a shim that had fallen by my feet, dad lost his grip and it fell out onto me. Thankfully my head took the brunt of the impact and the window didnt hit the ground because there was no way I could afford to replace a piece of glass that size at the moment.

PhantomCatClock

So, about TEN DAYS ago my computer was broken and I had it narrowed down to either the processor or the motherboard. Not wanting to flip a coin on that, I took it to an IT professional with real diagnostics skills so he could tell me which one it was. I thought he was just buttering me up when he said he was impressed with everything I tried. Turns out he wasn't joking when he said that's the stuff he'd check: he tells me it's either the motherboard or the processor, and my processor (a $200 one) is too nice for anything he or even his buddies at nearby shops keep in stock, so he can't check. Diagnosis: either the processor or the motherboard, but flip a coin on the processor first.

I mean, I guess that's still calling on his experience, but for REALS. Come on, Cow Town in California, you aren't that small. Still, grateful, and I have a new copy of my exact same processor coming in tomorrow.

VCRClock

<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

RobClock

k9

Thats a really nice tree Rob! I love the crosshatched shading.

PhantomCatClock

Quote from: VCRClock on September 17, 2019, 08:40:40 AM
Quote from: PhantomCatClock on September 16, 2019, 06:03:06 PM
Come on, Cow Town in California,

*cough*

ok, not literally. But the cow population of this county does double the human population

Also DIP, that tree looks like something from a (good) children's book

Losperman

Castle Crashers is finally coming to PS4 and I kind of want to play it just to see Carrot in it again.

Also, I'm still mad that they took the CC magnets out of Dying Light.
Sig by {{{Zombie Lincoln}}}

:capn: BUSTAS! :capn:

RobClock

Do you need PS+ to play it online? I may end up grabbing it

PhantomCatClock

S'coming to Switch, too. Hello from my big computer!

Slurpee

PhantomCatClock

also I know specific brands of thermal peanut butter doesn't matter if you aren't overclocking but i got a fancy kind and i'm idling 2°c cooler so that's neato i just liked that it said you don't have to reapply it for eight years

Slurpee

do you guys remember when facebook was a nice way to keep in contact with people you don't see very often

is it still that for anybody

I understand why people would not want to be there, it sucks, but it fulfilled a nice function for people like me who suck at socializing, and, what do I do instead
how do I hang out with people
what do I do if I want to see a star war? individually contact everybody who might be interested? fucking nightmare.

Slurpee

why couldn't facebook just be good
it was at the start
you go on, and, say some weird shit, and agree to go see the evil dead musical

now it's a machine for making people mad at each other for disagreeing about stuff neither of them really has any control over, or, you come to me, and I say some weird shit, and that's it
nobody even likes my dumb shitposts anymore because everybody sane has left
it's just my old coworker who likes the animes, and the guy from highschool with the shitty band who's gone like lightspeed chinese communist over the last couple months in a way that's impressively insane

Slurpee

people point at like deliberate political subterfuge and big data but I called this descent into madness when they made it so you could see each other's likes and comments on stuff you don't follow. or, rather, are forced to see against your will no matter what you do and you can't stop it from forcing yours onto other people

we cultivate our reblogs, instinctively, because we understand that when we do that we are choosing to share something with everybody we have invited into our feed
likes are just like "heh, I agree with that", and comments are nothing, they're just these hideous pinfeathers in the chicken carcass of the internet, thye mean nothing

shoving every stupid minor thing every person you know for any reason did for any reason into your face, and tilting the algorithm for "engagement" is a recipe for disaster, and they brought it willingly
it makes no fucking sense for any reason except to make people angry because angry==more engagement
there are three ways to interact with a post, and facebook, and for that matter twitter, BURNED DOWN every single pleasant social aggregate that developed as a result of it by having two of them just randomly and for no fucking reason do what the third is supposed to do. they removed curation from what we share about ourselves with each other and the world, that's what they did. and it made us ugly and the ugliness made us mad
why is there not an alternative that just DOESN'T DO THAT? what the fuck is wrong with the internet? why can't things just be nice? fuck

RobClock

Quote from: SlurpeeClockFacebook sucks.

I agree

VCRClock

newsfeed is dumb

problems with how facebook is/was used include:
- facebook itself
- people being paid to play social media like a game
- facebook having to adapt to people playing social media like a game
-- and/or just having the fucking gall to try to arrange things in order of "relevance," which ensures that items that have already garnered too much attention become exponentially overexposed

facebook went from like "HELLO ALL ,I AM EATING A SANDWICH" to "I read this article and I liked it I need to tell everyone I know to read this article" or "oh shit all my friedns are sharign this rticle i also need to post this same article link to show everyone I'm up on it"

when i quit facebook it was because I realized that I was following streams of content from people that I had some connection to, but realistically all the shit they posted was stuff I wished I didn't have to scroll past. I think that killed it for me, not just the little thing in the corner where I could hover to see the dumb content they interacted with publicly

I hope that instagram, although its users continue to live in fear of The Algorithm, is a step in the right direction: it's not that unusual for a user to have more than one account, one for eating sandwiches and one for Serious Shit, and if your Serious Shit is baking cakes, and I'm not that interested in cakes, I don't have to follow your cake account. this is closer to reality, where if we're friends, and you're into cakes, but that's not why we're friends, then if I run into you at a coffee shop, you're probably not going to start talking to me about cakes, because you know I'm not one of your Cake Friends. that's ok because I don't have to be a Cake Friend to be a friend. Facebook is when you start talking about cakes anyway.

the other perk of moving to instagram is that people don't ask me to read any articles unless they're really good
you can see what friends like and comment on, but I like never use that tab
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.

Slurpee

Slurpee

also
Quote from: VCRClock on September 18, 2019, 10:06:28 PM
not just the little thing in the corner where I could hover to see the dumb content they interacted with publicly
I don't know what this means, what little hover thing?

the dumb content people interact with publicly is inescapable. it just shows up for no reason, it is poison

VCRClock

yeah exactly instagram
for photos
because I can't read

I haven't been on facebook in over a year, but I seem to remember News Feed being content from people you follow, and the things they repost from da share z0ne or w/e
then in the upper right, above a bank of ads or something, but to the left of Messenger bar (if you had THAT shit enabled), there was a little realtime ticker of "so and so liked this" and "so and so commented on that", over which you could hover to see details if you were inclined