News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClock

RobClock

RenegadeClock

Well let me preface by saying I'm not a stock market guru. I've only been dabbling in it for about 2 years now, and there's plenty I still don't know.

Quote from: GreyClock on November 08, 2019, 06:43:06 AM
One man's high is another man's low?
If someone is buying a stock while it's on the rise then the buyer knows that the stock isn't at its lowest, but sees potential for more growth and wants to get in on it before the momentum is gone.

QuoteAlso with all the shit that came out during the mortgage crisis, I assume the big banks have some sort of labyrinthine system in place to influence it to some degree. Like the British guy from the movie Wall Street who at one point "carries" the stock by creating fake demand. Like you have a shit-load of one stock that isn't doing so well. If you have a big enough budget you could theoretically create more demand by buying even more. Then when others take notice and try to get a piece of the action, you dump all your stock. Then these people who are not you (or your particular company) are left holding the bag. Hot potato!
If you've got a ton of money then you could definitely use it to sway a stock price one way or another to a certain degree. Who knows what is going on at the big banks? All sorts of fuckery I would imagine. What you're describing is a pump and dump: Creating fake interest in a stock to raise the price and then get rid of it.

2) if the stocks are low why would you sell them? like why would that even be bad? just don't sell them when they're low...
The expectation that they might go even lower? The expectation that a company might go bust? Having them off the books (say at the end of a fiscal year)? If you're an active trader, taking the loss to free up the money and reinvest in stock that will prove profitable?
Yes to all of this. There are times when it makes sense to cut your losses.

If you're Joe Public with twenty stocks in the company you work at, it doesn't make sense to sell low. If you're Jeff Wall Street with a sizeable portfolio I assume it's all about min-maxing and net profit. Like bet small, but win big (or lose small). Like stock A (buy: 40 sell: 30) and stock B (buy: 10 sell: 30), at the end of the day you're up 10. You're a genius, good job! I read the win rate once of these top Wall Street guys, like percentagewise, and it was surprisingly low. I also remember watching a program where a broker went up against some sort of randomized system and both of them broke about even.
Right. Different people will have different investment strategies, and sometimes serious investors will do things that seem counter-intuitive to Joe Publics as part of their strategy.

3) how is it money? I'm pretty sure it's not.

It's similar to money in the sense that it's something that only has value because enough people agree to it having value (sort of). If your stock goes down in value, you're not actually losing money, it's just a virtual loss. It's only when you sell low, that it becomes a real loss. And instead of money and its underlying gold standard, it's tiny parts of companies and motherfucking dividend.
Right, it's not money, it's value.

4) did I hear right that stocks become more valuable the more people want them? how does that even make sense? you SELL HIGH, why wouldn't they stop being wanted as much when their price goes up? and then you'd want the other stocks that are low because no one wants them. basically how is every single stock not the same price?

Basic supply and demand? Is it any more silly than paying a million dollars for a baseball card or a particular comic book? Another movie I saw about stocks was called Forrest Gump. In it there's something about him investing in "some apple company" early. Imagine a tiny percentage of the profit of every iPhone sold going directly into your pocket. You don't even have to do anything, just sit on your fat, decadent ass. That's pretty appealing.
If the price gets too high the demand will eventually dry up. Often when there's a lot of hype around a company the stock will shoot up too high (overvaluation) and investors will be like "Wait, what the fuck are we doing? This is crazy man", and then they start selling it off and the price will drop (price correction). 

QuoteI'll tell you one thing. The weirdest part for me is those dudes yelling at each other in the place. You have this massive global network and here are these fuckers running around, yelling, throwing bits of paper all over the place and working up to a coronary. I don't know how accurate that still is, because it's so fucking ineffective. In the movie Wall Street one of the brokers has to call one of those guys on the floor. He then has to run up to some other guy. Yell over other people to hope to get the sale? And the guy yells like "BLUE STAR" and the other guy yells "THIRTY" and the other guy yells "TWENTY FIVE" and a whole bunch of people yell "SOLD", who's keeping track? I mean, really. Best fill in your little tickets as honestly as possible or whatever.

Here endeth the lesson.
That classic scene we all know of people running over each other on the trading floor like it was Black Friday is mostly a thing of the past. Just about everything is done on computers now. I don't know what those dudes are still doing out there.

Slurpee

Quote from: RenegadeClock on November 11, 2019, 02:40:33 PMI don't know what those dudes are still doing out there.
bein mooks and suckin eggs

patriotclock

Quote from: RobClock on November 10, 2019, 04:19:57 PM
i made these two threads in reception desk of stuff that used to be on the site but has been missing a few years. Maybe not my place to have done so but i hope im not stepping on toes having done it. Any chance on getting them pinned?

looking at that list of registry names I contend that P clocks are the best clocks ever. Pepsi, pineapple, pirate, patriot (:cool:), peyote, pop tart, phantom cat. what a squad tbh

Slurpee

you know who has two thumbs and hates programming in Haskell?

someone else, I lost my thumbs in a tragic shark farming accident

Slurpee

also, I appreciate your responses to my grousing about stocks, Grey and Ren, I hope my flippancy didn't suggest otherwise
always happy to be edified about things that make me feel stupid
except Haskell, screw you Haskell

PhantomCatClock

there was a clock who like programmed an entire phone network for some company and spend 16 hours a day working on it then got fired for coming to work late even though he also stayed late, worked from home, and basically built the company's profit engine by himself

you should ask him for some valuable experience nuggets

patriotclock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on November 13, 2019, 02:55:21 AM
there was a clock who like programmed an entire phone network for some company and spend 16 hours a day working on it then got fired for coming to work late even though he also stayed late, worked from home, and basically built the company's profit engine by himself

lmao who

Slurpee

talk about owned

GreyClock

RobClock

Gorgeous pic, grey- did you take that?

RobClock

I opened the image and seen that it’s from wikipedia

Still nice

GreyClock

Yeah, no. I was looking up Chesapeake Bay on Wikipedia.

I think if I've said it before, but pictures like that (not specifically nice sunsets or whatever, just particular pictures of nature with some undefinable quality (like in this case it's the vague, forested headland on the horizon, in combination with the colors and shitty compression that make it look like a sea of boiling iron)) make me want to do something. I have no idea what. Shit my pants? Cry myself to death? Rip all my skin off? I dunno.

GreyClock

I couldn't remember the term I was looking for, in association with this painting:

It's the sublime.

Schopenhauer came up with the following categories:
    Feeling of Beauty â€" Light is reflected off a flower. (Pleasure from a mere perception of an object that cannot hurt observer).
    Weakest Feeling of Sublime â€" Light reflected off stones. (Pleasure from beholding objects that pose no threat, objects devoid of life).
    Weaker Feeling of Sublime â€" Endless desert with no movement. (Pleasure from seeing objects that could not sustain the life of the observer).
    Sublime â€" Turbulent Nature. (Pleasure from perceiving objects that threaten to hurt or destroy observer).
    Full Feeling of Sublime â€" Overpowering turbulent Nature. (Pleasure from beholding very violent, destructive objects).
    Fullest Feeling of Sublime â€" Immensity of Universe's extent or duration. (Pleasure from knowledge of observer's nothingness and oneness with Nature).

While it is overpowering, it's not exactly turbulent. It's quite serene even. Still, there's something pleasurable I guess, in a sadomasochistic sense. I don't really think the threat level of the objects come into play. Like one picture of a benign, empty field could invoke these feelings, while a second picture of a lava tornado (?) could not.

PhantomCatClock

Quote from: PatriotClock on November 13, 2019, 10:18:42 AM

lmao who

I don't 100% remember, just that it was someone active on the discord. I'm thinking one of those cool long-haired folk like Soup or Peach but that's just a feeling more than me actually remembering

VCRClock

I have yet to hear one, good, real reason why I can't call MY company "Sunc**t Farms."
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

VCRClock

VCRCLOCK @vcrclock - 13 November 2019
eating trail mix but the shitty pieces all settled to the bottom and im eating them by the handful
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

RobClock

PhantomCatClock

Happy renegade's birthday, rob {{{}}}