News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomCatClock

He only faked his death to buy time to boost the production quality like that GENIUS

I mean, uh, it's what I've been doing with my flashes

GreyClock

Quote from: BilliardBall10 on February 15, 2017, 04:29:05 PM2. i am puzzled as to why religious zealots used goats as a metaphor for ''sinners''/bad people, especially since goats are good and useful animals that have good qualities in them, while more ''sinister'' animals could be easily used for that metaphor, such as snakes, scorpions, etc etc.
Well if you look at the actual passage, Matthew 25:31-46, you'll find that it employs the whole Christ-as-shepherd imagery. In that case it's not that difficult to grasp, as you'll be hardpressed, even in biblical times, to find a shepherd with a flock made up of both sheep and snakes/scorpions. If you wanted to dig deeper, you could make connections to Greek mythology, the god Pan, half man & half goat and Satyrs, who often had goatlike features and permanent erections.

"I wonder if the originators of a religion built on sin, guilt and repression had a problem with this?" said no one.

Quote from: BilliardBall10 on February 15, 2017, 04:29:05 PM2.5. owls are awesome and hella cute. in greek culture, they were always considered clever/awesome/cute/impressive animals, which is close to the truth. christianity ruined that by rendering them as ''evil animals''. i mean, they also ruined crows as well, by calling them ''evil'', while a crow is loyal to its mate(they stay forever with their mate), they are VERY clever, they are resourceful, they know how to use teamwork in desperate times, they play games on their free time(i swear, i've seen crows rolling on the snow just for fun, (on nat geo)), and they live for ~100 years. i mean yeah, why deem a poor animal as evil, when it has great traits like that?
The problem with owls, and any nocturnal animals for that matter, was that people believed they purposefully hid from the light (virtue) in the dark (sin). I'm not sure where you get evil crows from, medieval authors even seem to praise them for the same qualities as you, monogamy and longevity.

RenegadeClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on February 15, 2017, 12:34:32 AM
I'm about to move to Oregon

I'll let you know what I think about snow

Snow is a rare treat here. Hope you like biblical amounts of rain.

PhantomCatClock

Future roommate says it's been snowing a lot. Are you on the coast, then?

Slurpee

Slurpee

old folks, old ways, and a return to the natural bosom of our mother earth. hi. I'm Sam Elliot. here at the clock crew, the rivers run so deep, you can stick an erect dick into them, all the way to the base, and never touch bottom. you might touch a fish, or a gross bug, but not the riverbed, unless you reeeaally lean into it, to the point where you would kind of have to realize that you're forcing the issue. this is the world we live in: insects, fish, and boners with something to prove, and these are the people who will guide you through it. the clock crew: practical. nanocarbon. solutions.

PhantomCatClock

RobClock

S N O W

SO MUCH FUCKING S N O W

PhantomCatClock

make a perfect sphere of snow

I mean fucking perfect

get a blowdryer and evenly heat the surface of the perfect sphere

i don't remember the next step but it's cool

RenegadeClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on February 15, 2017, 08:31:59 PM
Future roommate says it's been snowing a lot. Are you on the coast, then?

I'm about an hour west of Portland. Our weather is pretty similar to whatever's going on there. We have had more snow this year than usual, but it rarely sticks for more than a few days. We did get enough to go sledding in our backyard a few weeks ago. 

BilliardBall10

Quote from: GreyClock on February 15, 2017, 05:53:28 PM
Well if you look at the actual passage, Matthew 25:31-46, you'll find that it employs the whole Christ-as-shepherd imagery. If you wanted to dig deeper, you could make connections to Greek mythology, the god Pan, half man & half goat and Satyrs, who often had goatlike features and permanent erections.
hahaha, good point. yeah, i can understand that its difficult to fit snakes+other animals in the story, for the shepherd parable.
(even tho they could still say something like ''be meek and peaceful like the sheep, and avoid being vile and poisonous like the snakes/scorpions/pests that surround them...'')

indeed, the early christians condemned the ''wild'' style of pan, and they definitely hated his goat/human appearance, along with his wild parties and the constant erections.

"I wonder if the originators of a religion built on sin, guilt and repression had a problem with this?" said no one.
hahahaha! indeed

The problem with owls, and any nocturnal animals for that matter, was that people believed they purposefully hid from the light (virtue) in the dark (sin). I'm not sure where you get evil crows from, medieval authors even seem to praise them for the same qualities as you, monogamy and longevity.
well, in ancient greek mythology+in roman/norse/celtic mythology, crows are depicted as clever and awesome birds with great qualities...(they are awesome)

however in some religious texts during the witch-hunt/inquisition years, the crows have been labeled as ''evill'', and as ''assistants to witches'' (or, as familiars of witches).
i guess they were saying those things because crows were dark, and church often associated dark birds as ''evil''.
if we also count that crows were eating from corpses, (aka they were scavengers), and the fact that many simple people often called them ''the messengers of death''/a bad omen in folklore, so i guess thats why the church labeled them as evil.
(mostly during the witch-hunt/inquisition years).

but yeah, crows are awesome, and they have been labeled as great animals in (almost) every mythology.
crows are clever, loyal(to their mates) and they live for a very long time.
in fact, there is a term in greek, ''korakozoitos'', which was a remark/wish for someone to ''live as many years as a crow'', which is what the term actually means. (in its etymology)

i believe that its worth mentioning that, in some parts of the bible, god sends a crow to bring food to prophet elias, while crows protected the dead body of st vincent of saragosa, so that scavengers wouldnt eat it...

damn, duuuude, that owl has done some mischief and he knows it!

k -i raise dragons. here we go -click HERE- i mean click the eggs -and the dragons, until they become  adults.

BilliardBall10

oh, and in a specific part of the bible, crows have been mislabeled because they ''copulated with eachother'' while they stayed on noah's ark.
(why the hell was sex considered a sin by christians? such vast amounts of puritanism/extremity are very bad, and they often lead into bad situations for people.
not to count the ''not having sex before marriage'' rule, or the whole ''celibacy'' rule... so stupid!)

oh, and here i found a text from the book of ''enoch'', that labels crows as birds equal to the fallen angels, aka the 'nephilims', beings who mated with human women and created giants, aka the ''anakim'' (which means giants).

Leviticus 11:13-15 KJV
13. And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,
14. And the vulture, and the kite after his kind;
15. EVERY RAVEN after his kind…

http://www.sheshbazzardaq.com/enoch.html
(the part about the unclean fowls of heaven is at the top 1/4 of the page on the link.)

k -i raise dragons. here we go -click HERE- i mean click the eggs -and the dragons, until they become  adults.

PhantomCatClock

Slurpee

GreyClock

Quote from: BilliardBall10 on February 16, 2017, 08:27:50 PM
well, in ancient greek mythology+in roman/norse/celtic mythology, crows are depicted as clever and awesome birds with great qualities...(they are awesome)

however in some religious texts during the witch-hunt/inquisition years, the crows have been labeled as ''evill'', and as ''assistants to witches'' (or, as familiars of witches).
i guess they were saying those things because crows were dark, and church often associated dark birds as ''evil''.
if we also count that crows were eating from corpses, (aka they were scavengers), and the fact that many simple people often called them ''the messengers of death''/a bad omen in folklore, so i guess thats why the church labeled them as evil.
(mostly during the witch-hunt/inquisition years).
What texts? What's your source? I looked through a prominent study of witches in medieval and Renaissance art and it makes no mention of crows, ravens or corvi. It does go into great detail on: goats, cats, rats, owls, toads, hares and monkeys, which would make your claim a pretty glaring omission.

BilliardBall10

well, i dont have my old folklore+medieval superstitions books with me (in some of them, it also stated the churches dscrimination of the crows, labeling them as ''dark'', scavenger animals that symbolized death+the darkness(for unfair reasons)).

also, i guess one link can be this,
https://books.google.gr/books?id=ucx6AAAAQBAJ&pg=PT14&lpg=PT14&dq=maleficus+maleficarum+crows+and+witches&source=bl&ots=KdIHy5TaI3&sig=Zh9GQJoGeICHdw2eK-kbf6LPV_8&hl=el&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlrciIvZfSAhWIdpoKHTOMAiEQ6AEISjAG#v=onepage&q=maleficus%20maleficarum%20crows%20and%20witches&f=false

and this
https://witchesofthecraft.com/2013/12/18/lets-glance-at-todays-totempower-animal-the-crowraven/

also it could be mentioned in a part of maleficus maleficarum, but i could be wrong.

also, this was an interesting find:
''Amongst Neopagans, crows are often thought to be highly psychic and are associated with the element of ether or spirit, rather than the element of air as with most other birds. This may in part be due to the long-standing occult tradition of associating the color black with "the abyss" of infinite knowledge (see akasha), or perhaps also to the more modern occult belief that wearing the "color" black aids in psychic ability, as it absorbs more electromagnetic energy, since surfaces appear black by absorbing all frequencies in the visible spectrum, reflecting no color. ''

last but not least, in some old superstitions, people thought that witches had crows for familiars, so i know that they had a negative reputation for a while(including their already known feature of eating carrion/being scavengers), and this theory was supported for a brief time by the church, since the crows were ''dark, and they had the colour of the darkness''.
thankfully that changed later on, (during/after the renaissance).

PS: i know that crows/(or ravens, which is a similar, but slightly different version of the bird's species), crows have been seen negatively for a brief period of time, at least in the balkans. (except from the greeks, we always appreciated the crow's good traits).

GreyClock

Quote from: BilliardBall10 on February 17, 2017, 11:03:03 AM
well, i dont have my old folklore+medieval superstitions books with me (in some of them, it also stated the churches dscrimination of the crows, labeling them as ''dark'', scavenger animals that symbolized death+the darkness(for unfair reasons)).

also, i guess one link can be this,
https://books.google.gr/books?id=ucx6AAAAQBAJ&pg=PT14&lpg=PT14&dq=maleficus+maleficarum+crows+and+witches&source=bl&ots=KdIHy5TaI3&sig=Zh9GQJoGeICHdw2eK-kbf6LPV_8&hl=el&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlrciIvZfSAhWIdpoKHTOMAiEQ6AEISjAG#v=onepage&q=maleficus%20maleficarum%20crows%20and%20witches&f=false

and this
https://witchesofthecraft.com/2013/12/18/lets-glance-at-todays-totempower-animal-the-crowraven/

also it could be mentioned in a part of maleficus maleficarum, but i could be wrong.

also, this was an interesting find:
''Amongst Neopagans, crows are often thought to be highly psychic and are associated with the element of ether or spirit, rather than the element of air as with most other birds. This may in part be due to the long-standing occult tradition of associating the color black with "the abyss" of infinite knowledge (see akasha), or perhaps also to the more modern occult belief that wearing the "color" black aids in psychic ability, as it absorbs more electromagnetic energy, since surfaces appear black by absorbing all frequencies in the visible spectrum, reflecting no color. ''

last but not least, in some old superstitions, people thought that witches had crows for familiars, so i know that they had a negative reputation for a while(including their already known feature of eating carrion/being scavengers), and this theory was supported for a brief time by the church, since the crows were ''dark, and they had the colour of the darkness''.
thankfully that changed later on, (during/after the renaissance).

PS: i know that crows/(or ravens, which is a similar, but slightly different version of the bird's species), crows have been seen negatively for a brief period of time, at least in the balkans. (except from the greeks, we always appreciated the crow's good traits).
I see what's going on. These are not good sources dude, witchesofthecraft.com, really? That book you linked is severely unacademic. The author has haphazardly raked together a bunch of stories and references and hey presto! A shitty book. You can usually tell from the general lack of clarity and structure, and this one is no exception. Quoted passages are used as window dressing, instead of serving to further the point after proper analyzation. Nonsensical or ill-explained namedrops of "big" topics or people "sexual inadequacy", "Bible", "Quran", "Jungian", "fart". Topographically it's all over the map as well (ha ha), we jump from North America to Ireland to Greece to India. I know it's an introduction, but set up some goddamn parameters. The exact passage you referenced is supposed to be a description of our contemporary image of witches and not some sort of historical one. At least I hope so, because otherwise I have no idea how the author established the characteristics of the typical witch voice. Also the Malleus Maleficarum is the first source I checked, and there's no mention of crows (although that's not exactly saying much, because none of the other animals, or "familiars" are mentioned either), but nonetheless, no! No fucking crows BilliardBall10Clock, leave that Wicca shit on your Hot Topic t-shirt or whatever, you son of a bitch. God bless.

Slurpee

BilliardBall10

well, OK, man.

but still, the book of enoch* is still a good source:

in one part of ''enoch'', it labels crows as birds equal to the fallen angels, aka the 'nephilims', beings who mated with human women and created giants, aka the ''anakim'' (which means giants).

Leviticus 11:13-15 KJV
13. And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,
14. And the vulture, and the kite after his kind;
15. EVERY RAVEN after his kind…

http://www.sheshbazzardaq.com/enoch.html
(the part about the unclean fowls of heaven is at the top 1/4 of the page on the link.)

*i guess it could be the book that was found in ethiopia, and its non-cannon with the usual bible stories, but hey, it might have a basis behind the fear of crows that the medieval people had in folklore. (either with some help from the church, or on their own, based on the people's fear of death, and the (un)natural(??) connection between crows and death/scavanging/''the eating of the dead'', an act which would normally freak them out. (even tho it was a necessary action, since crows+various other scavengers were needed in order to clear an area from dead people(in wars)/dead animals.)

with that being said, perhaps i confused the churches persecution of crows with the persecution of vultures/of other avian creatures.

the owl thing happened 100% tho. i am very certain about it.
(and all the historical sources match.)

an other possible situation is that i confused folklore tales with religious animal-labeling.(for the medieval period, that is).

i think that we should move on.
talking about how i suck in corvine demonology isnt really helping us, in any way.(except for the crowd's amusement, which is something that i also enjoy).

PS: also here's an 100% real drawing of a witch holding a crow, its amazing:
its in here

BilliardBall10

also, grey clock:

1. can i see ''E'' again? (the new one, or the older one. i would prefer to see both, if possible... they were great movies).

2. would you be angry if i made a few ''grey clock'' tribute movies on NG? (possibly with a nice vibe from your ''F#CK'' series)

i am waiting for your answer, caww! :D