News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VCRClock

Quote from: GreyClock on August 08, 2018, 12:11:19 PM
-Excuse me sir, my friend didn't show up and now I need three bucks to get home.
-Aaauuuuurrruuuuuuugggghhhiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!! [mind melts]

Quote from: Slurpee on August 08, 2018, 05:25:03 PM
but my favorite was just a blank cd with the guy's stage name written on it. I'm not sure if he didn't know how to burn cd's or if he just wasn't even trying to make a name for himself and was selling blank cd's for a quick buck, but I found it oddly endearing either way
holy shit that's brilliant

one of my pet fascinations is tax scam labels, which took advantage of a late 70s tax loophole by slapping together albums from any source material they had lying around, mostly not selling them, and then claiming a loss. it didn't matter what was on the albums because nobody was going to buy them anyway.

if guy was knowingly selling blank cds, he's taking advantage of a market of buyers that know there's a good chance that what they're buying will be worthless (i.e. shit music), but taking the tax scam label approach, maximizes profit by limiting his effort to making cds that look playable, yet he is protected by the unusually tolerant market. no one is going to hold him accountable for selling blank cds because a fool and his money are soon parted and they should have known better

thus, at the expense of a sharpie and some blank cds, guy gains both money and rabid fans such as influencer slurpeeclock. indeed he could be selling t-shirts too -- as long as the shirts looked cool, no buyer would have to worry about actually liking or talking about the music, and people wearing the t-shirts would only lead to further cd sales for guy, thereby spurring still more t-shirt sales. though in truth having to offer multiple sizes of t-shirt means some money would be tied up in inventory

anyway quit your job and sell blank cds
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

GreyClock

Quote from: VCRClock on August 09, 2018, 08:29:19 AMholy shit that's brilliant

one of my pet fascinations is tax scam labels, which took advantage of a late 70s tax loophole by slapping together albums from any source material they had lying around, mostly not selling them, and then claiming a loss. it didn't matter what was on the albums because nobody was going to buy them anyway.

if guy was knowingly selling blank cds, he's taking advantage of a market of buyers that know there's a good chance that what they're buying will be worthless (i.e. shit music), but taking the tax scam label approach, maximizes profit by limiting his effort to making cds that look playable, yet he is protected by the unusually tolerant market. no one is going to hold him accountable for selling blank cds because a fool and his money are soon parted and they should have known better

thus, at the expense of a sharpie and some blank cds, guy gains both money and rabid fans such as influencer slurpeeclock. indeed he could be selling t-shirts too -- as long as the shirts looked cool, no buyer would have to worry about actually liking or talking about the music, and people wearing the t-shirts would only lead to further cd sales for guy, thereby spurring still more t-shirt sales. though in truth having to offer multiple sizes of t-shirt means some money would be tied up in inventory

anyway quit your job and sell blank cds
Isn't that basically what The Producers is about, albeit with shit musicals? Granted, all my information comes from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Slurpee

Quote from: VCRClock on August 09, 2018, 08:29:19 AM
no one is going to hold him accountable for selling blank cds because a fool and his money are soon parted
hey

Slurpee

also
Quote from: VCRClock on August 09, 2018, 08:29:19 AM
influencer slurpeeclock
I know you're fucking around but the whole world is that bill hicks bit about marketers securing the anti-marketer market and I want to scream

Slurpee

also yes that was the plot of The Producers

Slurpee

I haven't seen the original but I don't recommend the film adaptation of the stage adaptation. it was funny but it does not use the medium of film very well. if you're going to watch the film adaptation of a stage adaption of an old film I haven't seen, I recommend hairspray, it is much more lively

Slurpee

VCRClock

Quote from: Slurpee on August 09, 2018, 07:57:21 PM
.[u2]IINId0PP5gY[/u2]
that was totally a video

i'm sure glad "scene" isn't a mainstream subculture anymore

i think they probably meant to type "thot scene girl" but i understand
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.

Slurpee

I never noticed the discordant lo-fi circus music in the background before

is that "scene" music? I thought scene was basically emo but with more hairspray and louder screaming

GreyClock

The music might be from a Mr. Bungle song I think, which is pretty cool.

I definitely heard it before somewhere. Fuck, now I gotta find out.

GreyClock

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

lol of course it's tool. aenima rules though. so does mr bungle. I'm gonna go listen to california again.

GreyClock

California is one my favorite albums.

RobClock

What do you call a hooker that works in Montreal and Toronto?

A tail of two cities

VCRClock

Quote from: RobClock on August 10, 2018, 01:28:32 PM
What do you call a hooker that works in Montreal and Toronto?

A tail of two cities

A pair of legs, always in the air?

Slurpee

when mobile sites say "it's better on the app" does that mean they didn't hire a UX team or does it mean they made the mobile site shitty on purpose because they can harvest your data more easily if they can get you to use the app?

it's definitely not neither of those

RobClock

The latter, 100% of the time.

I just realized it’s the 12th and I don’t have a flash ready for Clock Day. Looks like my part for that PTF that died is getting the solo treatment.

VCRClock

Quote from: GreyClock on August 11, 2018, 04:54:07 PM
That looks pretty close together, but damn. All there seems to be in between is small towns with free-standing houses, forests and farmland.

Compare:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3717424,-76.7709897,3a,75y,89.79h,92.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smEobXKABIfujoLwa3oz2hg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
with:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8782935,5.9682526,3a,75y,88.32h,88.88t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfU6Iv8CQt4Vsqmxx3pfAKA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DfU6Iv8CQt4Vsqmxx3pfAKA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D217.22229%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

foreigner impressions: yeah that seems kind of cramped and anxiety-inducing, if that neighborhood is representative. But I also think it's depressing when people live in brand new rows of condominiums or little Levittown neighborhoods with a bunch of identical freestanding houses. (The "Edward Scissorhands" vibe.) I think the major tipoff that Gewardstraat not an American neighborhood is that the street's really narrow (and, accordingly, I'm looking at all these houses not getting any sunlight on the first floor. Until what time of day??) A contemporary awful housing development would also be making a substantial effort to be less dumpy, and avoid the tunnel-like buildings facing the same way, staring each other down, for blocks. It looks like a low-income housing project in that regard, but I think even projects lay out their buildings less mechanically.

But also consider: this neighborhood is very flat. On both US coasts, you have a lot of densely populated areas that are typically hilly, if not mountainous, terrain, so buildings will follow contours of hills, and be placed where they'll be stable and water won't run into them. Or they're high-rise apartments. You might have to compare it with a development, in a suburb, in the Midwest, to see if there's that much of a difference. After all, people want to escape the Midwest all the time.

Density's just a factor of everyone wanting to be close to cities, but not necessarily in them. If you're surrounded by several cities people want to be near, it'll be that dense. If your town exists because people in the past needed a gas station between the nearest two cities, it won't be.