News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VCRClock

Quote from: Slurpee on August 12, 2018, 03:51:14 PM
when mobile sites say "it's better on the app" does that mean they didn't hire a UX team or does it mean they made the mobile site shitty on purpose because they can harvest your data more easily if they can get you to use the app?

it's definitely not neither of those
their ux team works on the app. I'd love it if the web was so good and responsive and not frustrating on mobile devices that everyone would just want to use html5 etc, but having an app means the user isn't left with ugly browser artifacts, the ux team only has to account for a user's hardware and not their browser, and they also don't have to coax html/js into doing something it doesn't want to do
the ux team would probably prefer to update the app than start fighting with the website to make it equally responsive, functional and not kludgey across all possible ways that it might fuck up
also they made the mobile site shitty on purpose because they can harvest your data more easily if they can get you to use the app
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

VCRClock

I can feel myself turning into bb10 this is just like the santa clause
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.

Slurpee

Quote from: GreyClock on August 12, 2018, 04:40:10 PM
Quote from: GreyClock on August 11, 2018, 04:54:07 PMCompare:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3717424,-76.7709897,3a,75y,89.79h,92.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smEobXKABIfujoLwa3oz2hg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
with:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8782935,5.9682526,3a,75y,88.32h,88.88t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfU6Iv8CQt4Vsqmxx3pfAKA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DfU6Iv8CQt4Vsqmxx3pfAKA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D217.22229%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
Compare the two fuckers, and give me your impressions as a foreigner of the second one (turn 180 degrees) because the latter depresses me to no end... and I live there. Not there there, but "there".
second one reminds me of a housing project except shorter and with less death anxiety
the repeating patterns of door/window placement and the one long flat wall that everybody shares scream "built quick, cheap, and probably for density"
depressing, but only because it's not very stimulating

the river in the first one is nice but it looks like if I went missing there the cops would just keep saying weird stuff like "he had no kin here. outsiders come into town, they bring nothing but trouble" and "ever since the factory shut down, folks been desperate"

PhonographClock

Quote from: RobClock on August 12, 2018, 04:25:53 PM
I just realized it’s the 12th and I don’t have a flash ready for Clock Day. Looks like my part for that PTF that died is getting the solo treatment.
Probably going to end up doing the same thing. I still don't know who wrote the script for mine though so I'm unsure of who to tag as co-author.

Slurpee

oh. that might still be happening

polyhedron asked me to finish my part

PhantomCatClock

I guess I should've mentioned he's pulling his hair out on the discord trying to get people to finish their parts

go into this with no moxy and you expect people to provide their own gumption. fool.

GreyClock

In re flat & dense: it is the Netherlands after all.

When you fart in one town, they can smell it in all other towns in four directions.

Quote from: VCRClock on August 12, 2018, 05:29:55 PMBut I also think it's depressing when people live in brand new rows of condominiums or little Levittown neighborhoods with a bunch of identical freestanding houses. (The "Edward Scissorhands" vibe.)
I watched the X-Files episode Arcadia (et in arcadia ego *fart) yesterday.

Sometimes, it's a little wider, with a little more green:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8584691,5.9345875,3a,75y,348.89h,87.55t/data=!3m10!1e1!3m8!1sJApgHHjARXctWSV3dP10Qw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DJApgHHjARXctWSV3dP10Qw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D219.28793%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i37

Sometimes, not so much:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8270116,5.9353273,3a,75y,236.21h,86.47t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1syB5XnDFlXEvSgmqVlpuXyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i37

And yeah, it's pretty representative. You can click a few random streets in a random Dutch town and see similar neighborhoods. Houses had to be built quick and cheap, after the destruction of World War II and the subsequent babyboom. So in the mid sixties, early seventies, there were suddenly a lot of people that needed houses.

Here's a quaint little street:
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2955717,5.1637501,3a,75y,328.84h,104.44t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1siIRPSs_Qd0VFkCoz2bFcYQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i37
But even in a small, fortified island town they found room:
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2951796,5.1593402,3a,75y,44.25h,95.49t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1skzAkqFDBFd7PkYKbkAXEBw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i37

zl

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on August 13, 2018, 03:39:11 AM
I guess I should've mentioned he's pulling his hair out on the discord trying to get people to finish their parts

go into this with no moxy and you expect people to provide their own gumption. fool.

I'm working on mine because poly asked for it to be done on the 14th and I was like, now that's a due date I can get behind

it bloomed into a 2 minute long animation because I don't know how to constrain project scope.

Clocktopus

i havent made a flash in like 7 years

PhantomCatClock

RobClock

I just want to say that no matter how dead the forum may seem, no matter how irrelevant Newgrounds or the Clock Crew may seem in the modern web landscape, or in our lives as we each get older and the creative spark that once fueled us fades, I love and appreciate the work of everyone who produces anything, no matter how slapdash, for Clock Day each year. This is my 11th year in the CC and at 23 years old it’s essentially been half of my entire life in this community and with you guys. Bless your hearts, each and every one of you. <3

zl

Quote from: RobClock on August 15, 2018, 09:01:46 AM
I just want to say that no matter how dead the forum may seem, no matter how irrelevant Newgrounds or the Clock Crew may seem in the modern web landscape, or in our lives as we each get older and the creative spark that once fueled us fades, I love and appreciate the work of everyone who produces anything, no matter how slapdash, for Clock Day each year. This is my 11th year in the CC and at 23 years old it’s essentially been half of my entire life in this community and with you guys. Bless your hearts, each and every one of you. <3

I'm on a long bus ride today and I'm spending it watching all the clock movies coming in. It's so nice, and very nostalgic. I wish I could spend more time making clock stuff.

I've dipped my toes into various art communities over the years and none of them hold a candle to the cc. Clock flash for life.

Maybe we'll have a second renaissance when we all reach retirement age.

Slurpee

Quote from: RobClock on August 15, 2018, 09:01:46 AM
d'aw. back atcha buddy

Happy Clock Day, everybody

VCRClock

I'm gonna delete the database.

For old time's sake.

miracle fruit

PhantomCatClock

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1434432
we got every single place in the daily winners
and runners up
and popular artists

VCRClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on August 16, 2018, 06:25:23 AM
https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1434432
we got every single place in the daily winners
and runners up
and popular artists
we might be the only people still on newgrounds

RobClock

Honestly last year was massive for me on Clock Day. I was featured as a wall artist, my flash was frontpaged and I won a daily and weekly award. Part of me was hugely excited, like I had accomplished something- I finally ‘made it’ or whatever. However I had this inescapable feeling of sadness like my flash isn’t that good I rushed it right before the deadline and I don’t  o sided myself a good artist, really, so what does it say about the state of NG that I’m winning these awards and making the front page and such.

Still eternally grateful for it and I hope I can swing it again someday in the future, mind you.

GreyClock

Not to (humble) brag or anything, but who the hell is watching my flash movies? They hardly get any votes and reviews, but the views are always through the roof (currently 971). At least compared to the other submissions. It was the most viewed flash movie submitted on clock day (second if you include some sex game). Poop's daily first only has about half the views. Strawberry's has about 500 views, Radiotube's 450, and they're on the frontpage. Are viewers refreshing the page because I never include a replay button? Or are they unique views? If so, who are these people? Where do they come from? Do I have a hidden fan base in Latvia or something?