News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreyClock

Yeah, The Outsider is pretty great. My favorite is The Shadow over Innsmouth. Lovecraft gets a lot of shit for his stilted writing (and sometimes rightly so), but the man knew how to evoke a certain mood. Innsmouth really comes alive for me: the salty air, the moldy wood of the houses, the summer haze over this dilapidated seaside town. I can see those fishmonsters dancing on the reef, out in the distance. I don't know which parts I filled in myself (is it even set in summer?), but it really works.

From Celephaïs:
"But some of us awake in the night with strange phantasms of enchanted hills and gardens, of fountains that sing in the sun, of golden cliffs overhanging murmuring seas, of plains that stretch down to sleeping cities of bronze and stone, and of shadowy companies of heroes that ride caparisoned white horses along the edges of thick forests; and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy." Which I like because it resembles my own dreams. Although mine usually end "and then I met Henry Rollins, who was a German-speaking doctor for some reason. I struggled to explain my symptoms to him for ten minutes. Then his head blew up like a balloon, before it burst."

But for every Shadow, Outsider or Mountains, there's two Imprisoned with the Pharaohs...

You guys should check out Thomas Ligotti. The Last Feast of Harlequin is a good place to start.

(I watched The Mist (movie) and The Thing. Also In the Mouth of Madness, for obvious reasons. Which was okay. Sam Neill's accent is hilarious.)

GreyClock

In In the Mouth of Madness Sam Neill plays an American? Irish? Australian insurance investigator?

I left the screen open as I was making coffee and my cat almost broke it by jumping against your signature.

GreyClock

It's hard to find an answer to this because you get a gazillion results related to weight loss, maybe one of you paid attention in physics class:

When you weigh dried cat food (or anything really), in a bowl on a kitchen scale, and you move the food around, the weight shouldn't change right? Because it frequently does. Maybe the scale is fucked.

VCRClock

<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

PhantomCatClock

Make sure your scale is on a -flat- surface, and recalibrate it every time you move it

But the stuff changing weight when you move it around is very probably because the scale isn't on a flat surface

GreyClock

Spoilers for Game of Thrones season 8:

It starts with a large gathering in a great hall. The remaining players are all there, and for some reason, not murdering each other. I'm also there. So are some random people I know. We're assigned to various tables. I walk over to mine. Seated there are The Hound, Olenna Tyrell (alive and well), Queen Cersei and her toady (I'm not sure of the name). I give Cersei a cheeky wink, she doesn't look too pleased. Me and The Hound walk off, down some corridors and into an alley. It's a dead end, culminating in a circular, enclosed pit. Two men are wrestling in the middle, surrounded by cheering knights, they're all dressed in green (the color of the enemy). They recognize us and attack. The Hound cuts down three of them. We run and make it to a white, modernist house (International Style). Once inside, I close the Venetian blinds. A shadowy figure emerges from a back room. It's King Joffrey, alive and well and also nice. We start strategizing. Some unknown girl tells me I should really visit Kenya. I tell her I've already been and it was fine, nothing to get too excited about. "Relax," I say. The final battle that decides all is to take place there. We decide to go by car. Now we're in the car. I've already seen this future and warn Ser Jorah that Dickon Tarly (or Daniel Tosh?) will materialize in the seat behind him and cut his throat. He moves back two rows. (I guess it's a bus now.) Dickon Tarly doesn't appear however, the future has been altered. We arrive at the marshes and the car can't go any further. I try to build a highway on-ramp over the main river in World Editor. I succeed, but then a crocodile emerges from the water and attacks. It bites off one of The Hound's arms. Jorah stabs it through the back of the skull. The castle is nearby. The Hound, Jorah, Joffrey and myself meet up with Arya at the gate. We hear the sound of approaching riders and all jump into some nearby bushes. The leaves fill my entire field of vision. A pattern emerges, like a kaleidoscope, the leaves twist and turn in the blowing wind. [GAP] We're in the courtyard. The Hound is cutting down enemy soldiers left and right. He only has the one arm. The other doesn't seem torn off anymore, it's a smooth little nub, like one of those malformed limbs people are sometimes born with. He has a flaming sword and as he charges he purposefully sets his own hair on fire with it. There is a giant portal on one end of the courtyard, from it emerges an even larger entity. The dimensions of it can neither be seen, nor understood. It stretches out in all directions and folds back over the horizon. All I see is soft brown hair that moves like snakes. I die and can't move, all I can do is see. My dad and I place some sort of square device made out of wood and glass on what we think is the stomach. In this box, the being produces blocks of cheese. We have to take them out with our hands as fast as we can and replace it with stale bread, in order to kill it. I'm not sure if we do... And thus ends Game of Thrones.

KarkasmolenKlok

I read that with the sort of tooth-gritted determination with which I forced myself to read Finnegan's Wake.

Thank you for using punctuation.
Quote from: Slurpee on December 11, 2018, 12:48:14 AM
no soap on earth can cleanse you of us fewel

GreyClock

RobClock

there's something about an odd looking person describing a ridiculous yet mundane dish that tickles my funny bone

RobClock

Essentially a lazy LOLSORANDUM punchline because I'm a hack fraud

KarkasmolenKlok

Quote from: RobClock on January 21, 2019, 04:35:12 PMI'm a hack fraud
we all are, all our jokes are bad and nothing is ever funny
Quote from: Slurpee on December 11, 2018, 12:48:14 AM
no soap on earth can cleanse you of us fewel

PhantomCatClock

if it's not funny, then why am i crying

PolearmClock

Why the fuck are there no Pikmin in this chat
Quote from: Pencil;1653541anyone else? I can\'t find many gay ezines :(

PolearmClock

PhantomCatClock

RobClock

Polearm raises a good point this is a damn good thread title props to who changed it

PhantomCatClock

pikmen have no mouths, you see

PolearmClock

PhantomCatClock

a pikman may tell a tale, but pikmin do no such thing

that's a quote from the first Men in Black