News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VCRClock

I'M USING THE CAT BRUSH
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

RobClock

RobClock

Slurpee

I'm not sure if I've ever played Atari

Slurpee

they had to have known when they started that at some point Young Sheldon was going to grow up and not be Jim Parsons

RobClock

Quote from: Slurpee on March 07, 2019, 09:26:05 PM
I'm not sure if I've ever played Atari

You’re missing out brother

Quote from: Slurpee on March 07, 2019, 11:34:29 PM
they had to have known when they started that at some point Young Sheldon was going to grow up and not be Jim Parsons

I assume the hope would be that if they reach that point, the kid playing Sheldon would be cheaper than paying Jim Parsons to reprise the role. Or they could just recast the kid and keep the gravy train rolling forever

PhantomCatClock

Why do you only draw ports, Atari poster? Is it because you have no identity of your own?

PhantomCatClock

I could've sworn that was a Picard-talking-to-Q but I couldn't find it in a few rudimentary googlings and there's no way it isn't in a hundred Star Trek quote databases. The hell is it from

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I can't get into pre-nes console games like atari, the graphics for the arcade conversions just don't do it for me.  I do like arcade games from that era though.  I love playing weird old shit in MAME. I went on a huge  MAME kick  two or so years ago after going over hardcoregaming101's articles, they had all the obscure cool shit covered (then a formatting change killed a bunch of old articles and I stopped going :( ).  did you know there was a 3d platformer in 1983? I sure didn't.

pretty much anything from the 80s and 90s runs perfect unless it had some weird physical element you can't emulate like vectrex or those hologram arcade games. sometimes that weird shit can be done though! The old Darius shootemups used three combined widescreen monitors for a huge playing field, you can still do that. even if there's a console port of something the arcade version usually looks way better too. 90s arcade sprite art was fucking incredible. sometimes it plays better on console though, altered beast for example. extra features and rebalanced gameplay etc.

RobClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on March 08, 2019, 03:20:28 PM
Why do you only draw ports, Atari poster? Is it because you have no identity of your own?

Because Atari ala the 2600 is emblematic of the entire arcade golden age and therefore I chose some of the most iconic titles of the era to help ellicit the warm fuzzy walnut bedecked nostalgia I was going for.

As for the crudity of the graphics, I find them charming. In terms of ports there are of course good examples (Space Invaders, Missile Command, Ms.Pac-Man), bad examples (Pac-Man, Burgertime, Amidar), and then some that are just abject failures (Zaxxon). But you’re right, there’s simply no comparing them to the arcade versions.

PhantomCatClock

Quote from: RobClock on March 08, 2019, 07:51:41 PM
As for the crudity of the graphics,

I know this was aimed at Flounderman, but I actually love the Atari look and Atari Pac-Man might be my favorite Pac-Man that doesn't involve standing up to play, even though I know that was your first example of graphics so bad they aren't even charming. Then again, look at my Flash games and you may see my bias towards things that look like they were made in a garage on a weekend

RenegadeClock

Quote from: RobClock on March 08, 2019, 07:51:41 PM
and then some that are just abject failures (Zaxxon).

Aww man. Zaxxon was my fav when I was a kid.  :(

PhantomCatClock

arcade zaxxon and colecovision zaxxon, sure

RobClock

The problem isn’t even so much the graphics on 2600 pac man that makes it so awful, it’s the terrible maze layout, the way it doesn’t always register when you pick up a pellet, the colour of the ghosts and how they flicker so bad you can’t make out where they are on the awful colour blue they used. It’s such an awful version of Pac-Man, only punctuated further by just how well they NAILED it with Ms.Pac-Man and Pac-Man Jr.

It’s damn impressive how far the graphics on the 2600 got utilized when you get into the early-mid eighties, but by then you’re comparing something like Solaris to something like Super Mario Bros.

PhantomCatClock

I mean, it might not be as technically impressive (or as good of a game) but looking at videos, Solaris for the 2600 does look better than Super Mario Bros YEAH I SAID IT

Slurpee

I'm screaming

these are my favorite superheroes
it's complicated but they've been gone for 15 years

Slurpee

I am having a fucking Moment oh my god

MY BABIES.

Slurpee

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I LOVE THESE CHARACTERS LIKE A NORMAL PERSON MIGHT LOVE SUPERHEROES THAT PEOPLE HAVE HEARD OF

Slurpee

aytrdsugfvduygvsugfvautfvatcyffyt

Slurpee

I WATCHED THEM DIE

I WATCHED THEIR UNIVERSE DIE

I WATCHED ALL THE LIFE AND LOVE GET DRAINED OUT OF THEM AND GET REPLACED WITH SOULLESS HUSKS BY FICKLE OLD MEN WHO COULDN'T STAND PUBLISHING COMICS WITH GENUINE JOY AND FRIENDSHIP IN THEM

A PART OF ME FOLLOWED THEM INTO NIHILITY
AND NOW THEY ARE BACK AND THEY ARE HUGGING

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA