Author Topic: Pikmin Tell No Tales  (Read 11943619 times)

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
  • Ghosts: 1
    • Newgrounds: PhantomCat
  • For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood For winning flash of the month Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Clock Day 2014 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Participation in Fifen This Movie Clock Day 2012 Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Pikmin Tell No Tales
« Reply #111400 on: March 08, 2019, 03:20:28 PM »
Why do you only draw ports, Atari poster? Is it because you have no identity of your own?

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
  • For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood For winning flash of the month Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Clock Day 2014 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Participation in Fifen This Movie Clock Day 2012 Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111401 on: March 08, 2019, 03:22:35 PM »
I could've sworn that was a Picard-talking-to-Q but I couldn't find it in a few rudimentary googlings and there's no way it isn't in a hundred Star Trek quote databases. The hell is it from

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

• a serious detriment to society
  • Official Clock
  • Pass The Cash Participant For winning flash of the month Participation in Fifen This Movie For excellence in the field of excellence Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine For having submitted at least 50 animations For Creating at least 15 Flash Movies in the Flash Flood. Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2005 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111402 on: March 08, 2019, 03:37:59 PM »
I can't get into pre-nes console games like atari, the graphics for the arcade conversions just don't do it for me.  I do like arcade games from that era though.  I love playing weird old shit in MAME. I went on a huge  MAME kick  two or so years ago after going over hardcoregaming101's articles, they had all the obscure cool shit covered (then a formatting change killed a bunch of old articles and I stopped going :( ).  did you know there was a 3d platformer in 1983? I sure didn't.

pretty much anything from the 80s and 90s runs perfect unless it had some weird physical element you can't emulate like vectrex or those hologram arcade games. sometimes that weird shit can be done though! The old Darius shootemups used three combined widescreen monitors for a huge playing field, you can still do that. even if there's a console port of something the arcade version usually looks way better too. 90s arcade sprite art was fucking incredible. sometimes it plays better on console though, altered beast for example. extra features and rebalanced gameplay etc.

RobClock

• •••• DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF ••••
  • Official Clock
  • Popsts: 0
    • Newgrounds: RobertClock
  • Clock Day 2018 Participant For excellence in the field of excellence Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Participation in the Clockoween Flash Event Pass The Cash Participant Participated in Squirrel Day 2013 Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant For having submitted at least 100 animations For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood For winning flash of the month Participation in Fifen This Movie Only the most beautiful butts shall be decorated with this honor Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kaijuturtle.com
    • Awards
« Reply #111403 on: March 08, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »
Why do you only draw ports, Atari poster? Is it because you have no identity of your own?

Because Atari ala the 2600 is emblematic of the entire arcade golden age and therefore I chose some of the most iconic titles of the era to help ellicit the warm fuzzy walnut bedecked nostalgia I was going for.

As for the crudity of the graphics, I find them charming. In terms of ports there are of course good examples (Space Invaders, Missile Command, Ms.Pac-Man), bad examples (Pac-Man, Burgertime, Amidar), and then some that are just abject failures (Zaxxon). But youíre right, thereís simply no comparing them to the arcade versions.

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111404 on: March 08, 2019, 09:55:02 PM »
As for the crudity of the graphics,

I know this was aimed at Flounderman, but I actually love the Atari look and Atari Pac-Man might be my favorite Pac-Man that doesn't involve standing up to play, even though I know that was your first example of graphics so bad they aren't even charming. Then again, look at my Flash games and you may see my bias towards things that look like they were made in a garage on a weekend

RenegadeClock

• <butt>hole</butt>
  • Administrator
    • Newgrounds: renegadeclock
  • Clock Day 2006 Participant For having submitted at least 10 animations Clock Day 2014 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2005 Participant Clock Day 2004 Participant Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities For excellence in the field of excellence
    • View Profile
    • http://renegadeclock.com
    • Awards
« Reply #111405 on: March 08, 2019, 09:59:51 PM »
and then some that are just abject failures (Zaxxon).

Aww man. Zaxxon was my fav when I was a kid.  :(

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111406 on: March 08, 2019, 10:15:51 PM »
arcade zaxxon and colecovision zaxxon, sure

RobClock

• Official Clock
  • Clock Day 2018 Participant For excellence in the field of excellence Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Participation in the Clockoween Flash Event Pass The Cash Participant Participated in Squirrel Day 2013 Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant For having submitted at least 100 animations For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood For winning flash of the month Participation in Fifen This Movie Only the most beautiful butts shall be decorated with this honor Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111407 on: March 08, 2019, 10:57:44 PM »
The problem isnít even so much the graphics on 2600 pac man that makes it so awful, itís the terrible maze layout, the way it doesnít always register when you pick up a pellet, the colour of the ghosts and how they flicker so bad you canít make out where they are on the awful colour blue they used. Itís such an awful version of Pac-Man, only punctuated further by just how well they NAILED it with Ms.Pac-Man and Pac-Man Jr.

Itís damn impressive how far the graphics on the 2600 got utilized when you get into the early-mid eighties, but by then youíre comparing something like Solaris to something like Super Mario Bros.

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111408 on: March 09, 2019, 12:07:12 AM »
I mean, it might not be as technically impressive (or as good of a game) but looking at videos, Solaris for the 2600 does look better than Super Mario Bros YEAH I SAID IT

Slurpee

• I sure xylophone do I xylophone
  • Official Clock
  • Slurpee Posts: 3522
  • Clock Day 2017 Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Pass The Cash Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities For winning flash of the month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111409 on: March 09, 2019, 03:13:38 AM »
I'm screaming

these are my favorite superheroes
it's complicated but they've been gone for 15 years

Slurpee

• Official Clock
  • Clock Day 2017 Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Pass The Cash Participant Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities For winning flash of the month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111410 on: March 09, 2019, 03:17:41 AM »
I am having a fucking Moment oh my god

MY BABIES.

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111411 on: March 09, 2019, 03:18:14 AM »
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I LOVE THESE CHARACTERS LIKE A NORMAL PERSON MIGHT LOVE SUPERHEROES THAT PEOPLE HAVE HEARD OF

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111412 on: March 09, 2019, 03:19:31 AM »
aytrdsugfvduygvsugfvautfvatcyffyt

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111413 on: March 09, 2019, 03:29:56 AM »
I WATCHED THEM DIE

I WATCHED THEIR UNIVERSE DIE

I WATCHED ALL THE LIFE AND LOVE GET DRAINED OUT OF THEM AND GET REPLACED WITH SOULLESS HUSKS BY FICKLE OLD MEN WHO COULDN'T STAND PUBLISHING COMICS WITH GENUINE JOY AND FRIENDSHIP IN THEM

A PART OF ME FOLLOWED THEM INTO NIHILITY
AND NOW THEY ARE BACK AND THEY ARE HUGGING

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111414 on: March 09, 2019, 03:47:22 AM »
ok

ok I'm good
but wow
holy shit
that was not a part of my nostalgia that was ever supposed to get tapped again
nobody is supposed to give a shit about these characters
especially not THESE VERSIONS of these characters
the Titans versions, sure, the greg weisman versions, sure, but this is like....

like Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill returning for the Arkham games, right? except instead of being something that everybody already loved and agreed was amazing, these were fourth generation legacy characters from a children's comic series in the late 90's and early 2000's on a book written by a guy who'd been exiled from the company. they were detritus that got scraped off the table to make room for their dead grandparents getting movies and tv shows made about them. they were GONE. it's like I was a fan of, not Battlestar Galactica, not the Battlestar Galactica remake, but Galactica 1980. AND THEY'RE JUST BACK. I JUST RANDOMLY STUMBLE OVER THEM ON GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH

I HATE THIS
I HATE FEELING THINGS
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111415 on: March 09, 2019, 04:38:24 AM »
If you don't want to evolve, press B before the music ends

RobClock

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111416 on: March 09, 2019, 08:03:02 AM »
I'm screaming

these are my favorite superheroes
it's complicated but they've been gone for 15 years

Fucking Bendis Jesus h Christ that first panel is almost literally a meme of what a horrible writer he is. So glad that he split up Clark and Loisí happy married life and prematurely aged Jon from a child to a teenage Superboy just so he could bring back the old teenage Superboy

What a trainwreck.

Sorry slurpee

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111417 on: March 09, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »
"Bendis."
"Bendis?"
"Yeah, Bendis."
"Huh."
"Yeah."
"Brian Michael Bendis?"
"Right."
"The comic wri-"
"Comic writer, yeah."
"Huh."
"I know."

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

• a serious detriment to society
  • Official Clock
  • Pass The Cash Participant For winning flash of the month Participation in Fifen This Movie For excellence in the field of excellence Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine For having submitted at least 50 animations For Creating at least 15 Flash Movies in the Flash Flood. Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2005 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111418 on: March 09, 2019, 01:40:09 PM »
does he actually write all of his dialogue like that? It's fine to have a few panels of conversation run like that when it's appropriate. emotion making you trip up your words and trip up the guy you're talking to. but an entire story written like that would be a slog to read.

also all game consoles should have walnut why did we stop doing that after the 80s?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:42:32 PM by FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK »

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111419 on: March 09, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »
he actually used to be a lot more egregious about it

it gets more readable when you realize that what he's doing is writing the way people actually talk
most writers cut through the "uh"s, and "like"s, and searching for words, and talking over each other, and making sure they heard correctly, and interrupting themselves midthought, and just write what people mean when they talk to each other