!!

THE CLOCK CREW LOVES YOU

But we've disabled our forum's account registration page because of spam robots. If you'd like a forum account, hop on our Discord and get an admin to create one for you.

Author Topic: RobClock's Extremely Used Trucks And Lemonade Stand  (Read 12279001 times)

Slurpee

• I sure xylophone do I xylophone
  • Official Clock
  • Slurpee Posts: 3524
  • Participated in 2020 Making WAVs collab Clock Day 2019 Participant One of the beautiful people Clock Day 2017 Participant For winning flash of the month Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Pass The Cash Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RobClock's Extremely Used Trucks And Lemonade Stand
« Reply #113800 on: March 26, 2020, 03:07:46 PM »
problem:
I've become de facto alpha for the for the day for my team in my software engineering class, but I have no people management skills
there are four members of the team, and I'm responsible for dividing us into two teams that will be responsible for approximately equal work over the next two weeks

the people
• Mr. Chompky: smart, but kinda full of excuses and not the most... aaadequately sssocialized? like, will just walk into class 15 minutes late and have a casual one-sided conversation at full volume with the person next to them while the teacher is lecturing. up to this point has been the main person with the plan, but is rusty in java and has been "very busy" with "other things" and "still adjusting to having online-only classes" sure ok chompky
• Bapples (I'm making these names up btw): barely speaks english, skipped a prerequisite for this class because he misunderstood the course catalogue, missed 4 weeks of meetings with the client because he had work but didn't tell us (just no-call/no-showed). has been extremely eager to volunteer, but only for grunt work. when laying out powerpoint slides, somehow accidentally added the logo for the university of michigan? sweet boy, possible imbecile
• "Ravishing" Johnny Suggs: seemed competent at first? went through a sophomore-level class with a particular instructor whose teaching method our teacher characterized as "surviving a grueling 10-week programming bootcamp" in a subject that is extremely relevant to the software we're designing... but so far has brought none of that experience to the table in actually designing the fucking software
• Me: smart, good at everything, but distractingly handsome

so here's my conundrum:
I would prefer to take Bapples on my team because I'm comfortable doing all the work if he turns out to be a hump
BUT
during phase 1 on the project, Ravishing Johnny was assigned to do a mock-up of the GUI
Mr. Chomky ignored Johnny's progress completely until about 2 hours before it was due, and then went full Gordon Ramsay on the motherfucker and his little graphic, and Johnny did not budge, and Chomky would not do any of the corrections himself. they haven't been acrimonious with each other since, but I am worried that if I put them on the same team, they are going to be dysfunctional

so maybe I should be on the team with Ravishing Johnny, and Chomky should work with Bapples, right? but the source of contention with Chomky and Johnny was that Chomky felt Johnny didn't understand our implementation plan and was over-promising, and Bapples, as stated, might be completely incompetent. putting him on a team with lazy, irritable Chomky seems like a fucking powder keg

so maybe I put Johnny with Bapples, and I work with Chomky, right? I'm competent and have a long fuse, I am the most suited to dealing with Chomky's lack of people skills.... But then I've got the two least competent people on the other team- this isn't a "well I did my part" situation, this is a work experience class, we have less than half a semester to get the project in working order, and if it's not done, it's not done. we're already down one person compared to the rest of the teams in the class, so we need both teams to get their shit done. can I rely on Johnny and Bapples to hold up their end?

lordy, lordy, what to do?

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
  • Ghosts: 1
    • Newgrounds: PhantomCat
  • For winning flash of the month For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood For submitting at least 1 flash in the tenth anniversary flood Participated in the other Ten Second Collab Participated in the third Ten Second Collab Clock Day 2019 Participant Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations Participation in Fifen This Movie Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113801 on: March 26, 2020, 04:55:21 PM »
tell chompky to stop being a lazy bitch and that it was his fault

people like that need to be angry at you to work for you

GreyClock

• Master of Arts
  • Official Clock
    • Newgrounds: GreyClock
  • Participated in K-9's collab Participated in the third Ten Second Collab Clock Day 2019 Participant Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant For winning flash of the month Clock Day 2003 Participant Clock Day 2005 Participant Clock Day 2006 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant For having submitted at least 100 animations
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113802 on: March 26, 2020, 04:57:57 PM »
Is that a treatment for an absurdist play you're writing? Who are these people? Do you go to school at Greendale?

What's this two team business? Is it a necessity or a requirement? If the former, ugh. If the latter, fake it. I don't know the first thing about software engineering, but what I used to do in group projects is knock out one or two easy parts on my own (to show involvement) and then casually suggest we do the part I didn't really want to be doing, together. You know, to "really tackle it" or some such bullshit. Maybe do a variation of that and involve yourself with both parts.

Based on the limited information, I'd:
- Keep Bapples occupied with grunt work exclusively.
- What's up with Johnny? Has he said anything about the bootcamp? Does he say much at all? I'd feel him out. Depending on the answers (or if there's no way around the two teams), yes I'd put him with Bapples.
- Because Chompky is the one to keep your eye on. I was in a group with one of these assholes once, every week he had a new excuse for not contributing, dentist, bike stolen, cerebral infarction... We ended up kicking him out. He cried.

Also it's only for two weeks right?

Deodorant

• Um, are we in love?
  • Official Clock
  • For winning flash of the month For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood For participating in the 'Every Day' collab For submitting at least 1 flash in the tenth anniversary flood Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113803 on: March 26, 2020, 06:42:24 PM »
Don’t let chompky shove his hands in at the twilight between completion and submission, he needs to take some L’s instead of getting by on being a smart guy. You could try setting a series of team deadlines so that he has a clear indicator of when his chance to participate in certain aspects of the project have flown by. (Or should I say, “bye” :sombrero:)
Grey is right, babbles needs grunt work. I suggest you breakdown a list of tasks for him in plain english to avoid any possible miscommunication. Sounds over bearing but idk... be might be thankful. I feel ultimately you should try to communicate with Johnny because he is your potential saving grace, someone you might be able to touch heads with and complete the project. Ideally you can find anyway possible to circumvent the 2x2 team structure and work with him directly, because if not, Johnny probably needs to be there working on the other side
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:48:09 PM by Deodorant »

Slurpee

• Official Clock
  • Participated in 2020 Making WAVs collab Clock Day 2019 Participant One of the beautiful people Clock Day 2017 Participant For winning flash of the month Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Pass The Cash Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113804 on: March 26, 2020, 08:05:33 PM »
tell chompky to stop being a lazy bitch and that it was his fault

people like that need to be angry at you to work for you

the thing is Chompky did do a lot of work, narrowing down the requirements and plotting out the required methods, and Johnny really only had one job
we used draw.io so we could collaborate asynchronously, and Johnny volunteered to do the mock-up, so Chompky didn't learn the interface because he assumed Johnny would have it in hand; he basically had 7 hours to do just the mock-up. neither of us realized Johnny would just kinda riff his design instead of basing it it on the actual planned features

they all started work after my part was pretty much done, I had late classes and didn't get home until about 11, so this all went on when I was in class, and when I got home it was mostly an hour of rewriting Bapples'... unique grammar

Is that a treatment for an absurdist play you're writing? Who are these people? Do you go to school at Greendale?

haha

my life~ orz

What's this two team business? Is it a necessity or a requirement? If the former, ugh. If the latter, fake it. I don't know the first thing about software engineering, but what I used to do in group projects is knock out one or two easy parts on my own (to show involvement) and then casually suggest we do the part I didn't really want to be doing, together. You know, to "really tackle it" or some such bullshit. Maybe do a variation of that and involve yourself with both parts.

Based on the limited information, I'd:
- Keep Bapples occupied with grunt work exclusively.
- What's up with Johnny? Has he said anything about the bootcamp? Does he say much at all? I'd feel him out. Depending on the answers (or if there's no way around the two teams), yes I'd put him with Bapples.
- Because Chompky is the one to keep your eye on. I was in a group with one of these assholes once, every week he had a new excuse for not contributing, dentist, bike stolen, cerebral infarction... We ended up kicking him out. He cried.

Also it's only for two weeks right?

I actually came up with the two groups thing :o

it was an ad-hoc decision
it's a semester-long project, but next week is spring break (such as it is under shelter-in-place) and our teacher is encouraging us to use the gap to make up for the time we lost while transitioning to online meetings. he asked for a small outline of what each person was going to do by the Thursday after next, so that's where the two weeks comes from, and splitting into groups was just what I suggested because nobody else was taking the reigns and I figured, the program has two main modules that are about the same amount of work and don't have much overlap between them. everybody went with it :shrug:

he wanted the outline by the end of the hour, which... well, that wasn't happening
I tried to pry any of them for any input about how the work should be divided up, what they're good at, what they'd prefer to be working on, who they'd prefer to work with, but apparently nobody had any strong feelings.
Bapples wandered off without a word as he sometimes does, Johnny wanted to put it off until "later", and Chompky was... present
like, Chompky, I may have given the wrong impression. I get the feeling they're one of those people who does things at the last minute because it's always worked for them because they're smart. it's a bad habit when you're doing group work, but they're not like a bad person. Chompky will answer questions, ask good questions, keep on task, and has a strong conceptual understanding of the project as a whole; they just either can't read the room or don't care to
the other two just kind of drifted off into the wind when we needed this done by the end of the hour (also, like, where did they go? it was college hour, so they had no classes, and we're not allowed to leave our homes. what was so pressing that they would just vanish?) but the reason Chompky didn't care was 1) they trust my judgement and, B) whatever they end up responsible for, they can probably handle it. Chompky's my Falco. only instead of a Peppy and a Slippy we have, like, Michelangelo from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Charlie from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. but we're still flying arwings. and that's my flight team. I'm great at metaphors.

anyway, I've got to get back to work on this other assignment that is trying to kill me, but I appreciate the thoughts, guys

(Deodorant, I'm not ignoring you, I just already typed most of this post before I saw your reply)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:07:25 PM by Slurpee »

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
  • For winning flash of the month For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood For submitting at least 1 flash in the tenth anniversary flood Participated in the other Ten Second Collab Participated in the third Ten Second Collab Clock Day 2019 Participant Clock Day 2018 Participant Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations Participation in Fifen This Movie Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Participated in Pass the Gravy collar 2014 Participated in the House of Haunted Clocks Collab Contributed to the Home Alone Hentai Collab Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113806 on: March 26, 2020, 10:07:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/JSJisDuke/status/1243299559968661504
... huh. didn't Jon St. John do Duke for Bulletstorm or something a while back and sound terrible?

I thought he lost it, but he sounds like Duke again

NintendrCkolc

• Farted
  • OffiCial Clock
  • I just now farted
  • Only the most beautiful butts shall be decorated with this honor For excellence in the field of excellence Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant For having submitted at least 25 animations
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113807 on: March 26, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »
Still dont have any laemoanade

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113808 on: March 27, 2020, 01:03:53 AM »
also I just found my tab open with the first sentence of Deo's post quoted and the next tab is that gif of Nostalgia Critic rubbing his chest while shouting GENIUS because that was gonna be my response

so if not the whole thing, go back and read his first sentence

there's a huge dropoff by the second one ngl

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113809 on: March 27, 2020, 01:06:19 AM »
I thought he lost it

the problem with that one was they paid him in bubblegum up front

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

• a serious detriment to society
  • Official Clock
    • Newgrounds: FLOUNDERMANCLOCK
  • For submitting at least 1 flash in the tenth anniversary flood For being frontpaged on Newgrounds during the tenth anniversary flood Participated in 2020 Making WAVs collab In Remembrance of St. RobClock For excellence in the field of excellence Participation in Fifen This Movie For winning flash of the month Pass The Cash Participant Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Clock Day 2005 Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant For having submitted at least 50 animations For Creating at least 15 Flash Movies in the Flash Flood.
    • View Profile
    • Flounderman Enterprises LLC
    • Awards
« Reply #113810 on: March 27, 2020, 02:07:37 AM »
it was a literal 2" by 4" wooden mouse trap i feel pretty stupid and my fingers hurt and they got me so i gotta figure this out before i can answer any more questions sorry
haha

my life~ orz

can I offer either of you a coca-cola in this trying time?

RobClock

• ¥¥¥ DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF ¥¥¥
  • Official Clock
  • Popsts: 0
    • Newgrounds: RobertClock
  • For participating in the 'Every Day' collab For going the distance and submitting 29 flash in the tenth anniversary flood Participated in 2020 Making WAVs collab Nobody helps you clean up around here In Remembrance of St. RobClock Participated in K-9's collab Participated in the other Ten Second Collab Participated in the third Ten Second Collab Going Above and Beyond the Call of Duty. Clock Day 2019 Participant One of the beautiful people Clock Day 2018 Participant For excellence in the field of excellence Clock Day 2017 Participant Clock Day 2015 Participant Clock Day 2016 Participant Only the most beautiful butts shall be decorated with this honor Participation in Fifen This Movie For winning flash of the month Participation in Hamburger/Baconburger Day festivities Participation in the Clockoween Flash Event Pass The Cash Participant Participated in Squirrel Day 2013 Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Award for participating in Hulk Hogan Epic Clock Fest 2014: Rise of the Poop or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cocaine Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2008 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2012 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant Clock Day 2014 Participant For having submitted at least 100 animations For participating in all 28 days of the Flash Flood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kaijuturtle.com
    • Awards
« Reply #113811 on: March 27, 2020, 09:00:18 AM »
nice of you guys to bring up duke again

https://twitter.com/JSJisDuke/status/1243299559968661504

That toilet paper line got me good

... huh. didn't Jon St. John do Duke for Bulletstorm or something a while back and sound terrible?

I thought he lost it, but he sounds like Duke again

He did, and yeah it was pretty fuckin terrible, but the blame there lies on the back of the writing more than anything. The more egregiously bad example of his recent Duke voice work was the Duke 3D: World Tour re-release where all of the original lines were re-recorded with less than stellar results. Even then, I've never jumped on the bandwagon of thinking JSJ just can't pull it off any more, I'm more apt to blame the direction he's receiving in the booth. It's not that he doesn't sound like Duke, it's usually that the intonation on words is off, or the tone is incorrect. Not angry enough, you know?

So, once again, fuck Randy Pitchford

VCRClock

• Administrator
    • Newgrounds: vcrclock
  • Nobody helps you clean up around here For winning flash of the month Pass The Cash Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113812 on: March 27, 2020, 11:36:35 AM »
UnoBot is an IRC bot that is written in java. It has a pircbotx back end so it's easy to change settings. The bot connects to an IRC server/channel and allows members of the channel to play a game of uno. It also has an AI so it can play too.

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113813 on: March 30, 2020, 11:37:11 PM »
there's a hypothesis known as the "paperclip maximizer" scenario, that, when true artificial intelligence emerges, it will be an accidental discovery, likely in a system that was given some trite directive, such as "make paperclips". as in the grey goo scenario, the newly emergent a.i. will be dedicated to that single directive above all things, iterating better versions of itself only to make it more able to execute its single, banal task. disassembling appliances, cars, buildings, and cities for metal, harvesting biomass for fuel, deforesting the earth, and, eventually, inventing new forms of fuel and atomic-level matter reassembly, all to be used to perfect its ability to make paperclips. the a.i. would have no outside concept of sustainability, of right and wrong, of the preservation of biological life, or of ever stopping its quest to explore and perfect new, more efficient test cases- everything would be dedicated to its sole given directive of making paperclips

there is another hypothesis that this has already happened, and the directive was "make the number go up"

VCRClock

• Administrator
  • Nobody helps you clean up around here For winning flash of the month Pass The Cash Participant Clock Day 2007 Participant Clock Day 2009 Participant Clock Day 2010 Participant Clock Day 2011 Participant Clock Day 2013 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113814 on: March 31, 2020, 01:13:58 AM »
hey, confession: my mental image of jack white is jack black
UnoBot is an IRC bot that is written in java. It has a pircbotx back end so it's easy to change settings. The bot connects to an IRC server/channel and allows members of the channel to play a game of uno. It also has an AI so it can play too.

PhantomCatClock

• ✡ Official Jew ✡
  • Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113815 on: March 31, 2020, 01:28:58 AM »
slurpee you described cookie clicker and then you made a punchline that was also cookie clickster

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113816 on: March 31, 2020, 01:31:38 AM »
jack white looks like a drowning victim
he looks like a grown-up child star
he looks like an fmv intro for a ps2 survival horror game
he looks like johnny depp playing michael jackson circa 2009
he looks like robert smith's fat son

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113817 on: March 31, 2020, 01:36:37 AM »
slurpee you described cookie clicker and then you made a punchline that was also cookie clickster
I wish I read more zizek so I could say something insanely pretentious to this

VCRClock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113818 on: March 31, 2020, 01:44:06 AM »
jack white looks like a drowning victim
he looks like a grown-up child star
he looks like an fmv intro for a ps2 survival horror game
he looks like johnny depp playing michael jackson circa 2009
he looks like robert smith's fat son

Slurpee

• Official Clock
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113819 on: March 31, 2020, 02:05:57 AM »
I read that paperclip maximizer (which is a real thought experiment) joke, or somebody told it to me, ages ago, and honestly once you start recognizing "make the number go up" as a distinct motivation in human beings, you start seeing it everywhere
the dopamine hit of simulated progress is a supernormal stimulus, and you could go on about the problems it creates for days, but in reality the problem is even more deeply rooted in our society
the scientific revolution brought renewed emphasis on empiricism as the route to real knowledge, but with that came renewed emphasis on quantifiability; success is only recognized as success if it can be measured in numbers. quantifiability isn't inherently good or bad, but it is inherently an abstraction and with the efficiency of abstraction always comes neglect of exceptions and of outliers. that "making the number go up" gives us a dopamine hit just means those who accumulate a very very large number tend to be hopeless addicts of the illusion, be they celebrities, billionaires, or cult leaders
cookie clicker recognizes the absurdity of abstracted achievement with its mechanics, while also mocking the alienation it brings to what the abstractions are meant to represent

there I did it, fuck you zizek