News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slurpee

[u2]Pv3LE-wUVXU[/u2]

PhantomCatClock

Well now I'm double glad I watched

Nuka

Was I banned from using BBC code?
shame.

VCRClock

Quote from: NukaClock on July 01, 2020, 09:07:49 PM
Was I banned from using BBC code?

no, but you are probably using it wrong (make sure your image link ends in .jpg/.gif/.png)

and someone did delete the huge animated signature you had before
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

PhantomCatClock

dang pop congrats on the daily first today

miracle fruit

next time on mythbusters: its impossible to fuck ur own sister, says adam savage

Slurpee

Quote from: GreyClock on June 30, 2020, 03:28:24 AM
Does anyone know how sound works? (You could say, I'm looking for a sonic expert.) Specifically regarding audibility and the mechanics behind that. Mostly apartment based stuff. Like, I live on the third floor, yet sometimes I can hear people have a normal conversation on the street below, with my windows closed. I can also sometimes hear people speak softly out in the hallway, yet when I pop outside for a minute with my TV on behind a half-closed door, I can't hear it out there. I don't know enough about sound to be able to come to any kind of logical conclusions myself.

~~~~~~~~~~▓
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~▓
~~~~~~~~~~▓

Tildes for sound waves. blocks for wall. The gap is a gap (window). That diagram works for outside sound coming in, as well as vice versa. Maybe because the apartment is smaller the sound wave has more chance of hitting my ear after bouncing around a bit? Outside maybe it shoots off into mid-air never quite hitting anything. Like the apartment functions as a sort of receiver/echo chamber or whatever. Although none of that explains the example about the hallway, which is even smaller. Discuss.
I don't know how sound works beyond like a vaguely remembered 8th grade understanding but I think it's generally muffled by insulation because heat and sound are both, on some level, actually just vibration, so maybe you've got some kind of inconsistent set-up there?

alternately, maybe the sound waves bounce in such a way that they interfere or cancel each other out some times, and other times they don't (or amplify, if that's a thing)

I know when I took astronomy, the ceiling of the planetarium had a really strange effect on the lectures. the professor's voice would seem to be coming from all different angles and inconsistently fluctuate in volume because it was bouncing off the big round ceiling
so you'd be drifting off to sleep, because it's a dark room and you're 18, then suddenly the professor's voice is RIGHT BEHIND YOU SPEAKING DIRECTLY INTO YOUR RIGHT EAR, so you jolt up thinking he caught you sleeping, but look around and he's standing on the opposite side of the room like a dang magic trick
one time me and my friend replaced the "There is no food or drink allowed in the planetarium" sign with one that said "There is no food or drink allowed in the astronomilarium" and it stayed up for a really long time. that's not related to the sound discussion I just remembered it and still think it's funny

GreyClock

Just as I was about to call y'all "cretinous little shitsuckers" for not replying to my weird questions.
Quote from: Slurpee on July 02, 2020, 04:11:46 PMI don't know how sound works beyond like a vaguely remembered 8th grade understanding but I think it's generally muffled by insulation because heat and sound are both, on some level, actually just vibration, so maybe you've got some kind of inconsistent set-up there?

alternately, maybe the sound waves bounce in such a way that they interfere or cancel each other out some times, and other times they don't (or amplify, if that's a thing)

I know when I took astronomy, the ceiling of the planetarium had a really strange effect on the lectures. the professor's voice would seem to be coming from all different angles and inconsistently fluctuate in volume because it was bouncing off the big round ceiling
so you'd be drifting off to sleep, because it's a dark room and you're 18, then suddenly the professor's voice is RIGHT BEHIND YOU SPEAKING DIRECTLY INTO YOUR RIGHT EAR, so you jolt up thinking he caught you sleeping, but look around and he's standing on the opposite side of the room like a dang magic trick
one time me and my friend replaced the "There is no food or drink allowed in the planetarium" sign with one that said "There is no food or drink allowed in the astronomilarium" and it stayed up for a really long time. that's not related to the sound discussion I just remembered it and still think it's funny
Yeah, I've no idea how the room is insulated. Except poorly. It's hot/cold as fuck in summer/winter. I figured it maybe had something to do with the fact that part of the apartment has a slanted, apparently hollow roof in which you can hear birds sometimes, maybe that has an amplifying effect or contributes to the bouncing or whatever. Also, thin single-pane windows. On a very basic level, I don't understand the logic of there being a difference in volume with sound going out to sound coming in (w/r/t the hallway thing). Like, unless you're talking those sound absorbing contraptions you see in those special rooms, I'm sure those work better one way, but you know...

"Astronomilarium" hehehe. Related: I came up with the word "astronomaly" now.

Another exceptionally vague subject I like to post about is this indeterminable feeling I get from looking at certain photographs. Here's one now:

What does this photograph want from me? What does the landscape? The rocks, the trees, the ocean... It exerts this pull on me. Does it want me to go there? To do what exactly?

Sprain my ankle on those boulders, defecate in some bushes, overpay for some hotel room, get food poisoning from some bad clams, defecate in my hotel bathroom... Seriously, what's the point?

If I was there at the exact moment that picture was taken, the light, a cool salty breeze... I'm sure it would be lovely, but... I don't know.

Like I said, indeterminable.

Nuka

have we broken the world record yet?
shame.

GreyClock

Quote from: GreyClock on July 02, 2020, 04:44:52 PMWhat does this photograph want from me? What does the landscape? The rocks, the trees, the ocean... It exerts this pull on me. Does it want me to go there? To do what exactly?

Sprain my ankle on those boulders, defecate in some bushes, overpay for some hotel room, get food poisoning from some bad clams, defecate in my hotel bathroom... Seriously, what's the point?

If I was there at the exact moment that picture was taken, the light, a cool salty breeze... I'm sure it would be lovely, but... I don't know.

Like I said, indeterminable.
Meaning: you can romanticize travel and places like that all you want and I'm sure there are evolutionary explanations to be found for this attraction (looks fertile and bountiful or something like that), but at the end of the day, what is to be gained? Not that there has to be a gain necesarilly. I'm not entirely sure there's even anything to be gained with anything... Or something. Y'know what I'm sayin'? Because I sure as hell don't know myself.

Happy 3333rd.

Marlin Clock

Contemplation and leisure are done for it's own sake. Ideally, one travels in order to contemplate some kind of beauty or apply themselves to some leisure activity. It doesnt have to be complicated.

GreyClock

Right, that's kind of the point. It's a nice photo of a bit of nature somewhere. It doesn't have to be complicated. That said, I can't shut off whatever part of my brain generates these thoughts and feelings. Or my apparent need to somehow understand them.

Believe me, cold, hard reality is enough to disabuse me of any such notions, it's just that they linger always. Whatever these feelings may be, whatever promises of the sublime, transcendence or whatever you want to call it may lie within, they're incongruous and unattainable. A mirage. Hence the bit about all the SHITTING.

Nuka

BREAKING NEWS: You dumb f*cking cretin, You  f*cking fool. Absolute f*cking baffon, You bumbling idiot. f*ck you.Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC96IugS5uY
shame.

RobClock

You don't have to self censor the word fuck your mother isn't going to read the post

VCRClock

Quote from: RobClock on July 04, 2020, 02:15:40 PM
You don't have to self censor the word f*ck your mother isn't going to read the post

watch your mouth and don't ask me to delete your posts when your mom comes thru
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

Nuka

You don't have to self censor the word fuck your mother isn't going to read the post
ok then, fuck you
shame.

RobClock

Quote from: NukaClock on July 04, 2020, 03:29:22 PM
ok then, fuck you

Rude

k9

Quote from: RobClock on July 04, 2020, 04:20:13 PM
ok then, fuck you

Rude
I apologise on his behalf

Nuka

Quote from: RobClock on July 04, 2020, 04:20:13 PM
ok then, fuck you

Rude
I'm sorry
shame.

PhantomCatClock