News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Tom Clancy's HAWX

Farted by Wind-up Clock, March 05, 2009, 07:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wind-up Clock

So I played the demo about 30 seconds ago. Looked like ace combat for the PC.

Here's my experience with its training mission.

Quote from: Playing HAWX
Oh this looks pretty cool. Takes a while to load though.

Okay, so i'm in some sort of flashy Flanker unit. Pretty nice. Looks like Ace Combat or crimson skies. Shouldn't be that-

Wait, what do you mean "turn assisted mode 'off'?"

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT

Turn it on? Okay it's back to normal. Now you want it on agaiOH WHAT IS THIS I'M NOT IN THE COCKPIT I'M IN SOME WEIRD 5TH PERSON CAMERA.

Okay, so you want me to shoot some drones? That's not so hard and i FUCK I OVERSHOT THE DAMN THING WHERE THE FUCK IS IT THIS JOYSTICK IS USELESS I HAVE TO ACTUALLY POINT MY NOSE AT THESE DRONES AAAAA

Oh, so the drones are moving now and WHAT THE FUCK I CAN'T GET A DAMN LOCK ON THESE THINGS. Wait, i can do whaHOLY SHIT I'M DRIFTNG IN A GODDAMN PLANE SHOOTING MISSILES AT LITTLE ROBOT PLANES FUUUUUCK.

So these drones can shoot back now? Well this oughta be fuHOLY SHIT I JUST DODGED A GODDAMN MISSILE WITH A FUCKING PLANE DRIFT FUUUUCK I STALLED AGAIN SHIT STOP HITTING ME WITH MISSILES WHEN I'M IN A GODDAMN SPIN GODDAMNIT FLARES FLARES FLARES HOLY SHIT 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS WITH GODDAMN FIGHTER JETS. TURNING ON A FUCKING DIME MACROSS ZERO STYLE.

Well that was fun.

And this is with the control scheme on "simple?" Thank god i didn't go for "expert."

So yeah. It was fairly better than i expected.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marlin Clock

Wind-up Clock

Quote from: Marlix Wright;1535421http://clockcrew.cc/talk/showthread.php?t=85302
I was going to say, is this deja vu or something?

Oh boo hoo. I was too excited. Sue me.

Well the thing is, i was expecting an arcadey flight game and that's exactly what i got. I expected a game that was like crimson skies with jets and instead i got Macross Zero. It was fun for me, but i don't get out in games a lot, so you can call me "easily impressed."

The only flying game i seriously have played is Crimson skies. Going from tail-chasing dogfights in okayish graphics to thrust vectoring and sonic booming to dodge missiles was a little overwhelming.

'Sides. You know how i am with machines.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BunnyClock

Goddamn it why wouldn't anyone post in my thread

Marlin Clock

Well, I had no idea what you were talking about. I get it now, but the only plane simulators I've ever played was a really really old Microsoft Flight Simulator in Middle School and Secret Weapons over Normandy.

BunnyClock

I don't like the jet stunts because they seem like cheesy hollywood stunts. And where the stall in ace combat goes like: you start gliding towards the ground, the hawx stall is like going from 1,000 mph to a lightspeed plummet in a split second

Marlin Clock

Quote from: BunnyClock;1535946I don't like the jet stunts because they seem like cheesy hollywood stunts. And where the stall in ace combat goes like: you start gliding towards the ground, the hawx stall is like going from 1,000 mph to a lightspeed plummet in a split second
So it has a bad physics engine or something?

Wind-up Clock

Quote from: Marlix Wright;1535954So it has a bad physics engine or something?

Not "Bad" per se. It's just different.

It's like taking a flight simulator and adding wiener-on-a-stick turning to represent supermaneuverability. The jets (like the Flanker) are supposed to do that.

Of course, i doubt early jet simulators allowed the players to do this.

I haven't really played Ace Combat, so i can't compare, but this game iss supposed to fill the gap betwen hardcore flight sims and the arcadey feel of games like Crimson skies and the like.

But yeah the stalls do suck. I lost around 3,000 feet because the damn nose wouldn't go straight and the drones kept pounding me with missiles. Perhaps its to keep the player on his toes and not lose too much speed. Of course, it'd be more helpful if there was a more visible speedometer for the plane. And does it really have to drop that fast? It's panicky for the first time but afterwards i don't wanna know.

And sorry about not posting in your thread, Bunny. This is essentially the first time i played something like Ace Combat on the PC. and drifting in planes made me too excited.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]