News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Need to find a game engine...

Farted by AirPumpClock, March 21, 2009, 03:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirPumpClock

So, I've finally decided to do some serious game programming. No pseudo-code like DarkBasic or XNA, I want to get into real C++ game making.

The problem is, I don't know what game engine to choose. There are so many free ones out there, and I'd like to start with 2D and eventually move on to 3D... I want to start with something that I can make a modern-looking (that is, fairly high-res sprites and wav/mp3 music, as opposed to MIDI) 2D game with.

Preferably, I'd like to use something that runs off of DirectX, not OpenGL, but that's not a huge issue.

Anyone know a good game engine to start off with?

TequilaClock

Well a friend and I are starting a 2D shooter but we are doing it in GameMaker.

AirPumpClock

Quote from: Mr. Carbeaner;1544410Well a friend and I are starting a 2D shooter but we are doing it in GameMaker.

Game Maker's okay if you don't know much/any programming. Otherwise, it's kind of a crapshoot.

RobClock

buttplug

Quote from: RobClock;1544420um... source?

What are you asking about?

RobClock

the source engine, the one valve uses.

PowerGloveClock

Quote from: RobClock;1544424the source engine, the one valve uses.
lool
Quote from: FLOUNDERINYOBUTT;1837615I think Kodiak is the only person on  this entire website who dislikes Slurpee. I still dont understand how  thats possible. He\'s so loveable and funny. Every guy wants to be his  friend and every girl wants to date him. Understandably Slurpee is not a  very happy person.

AirPumpClock

Quote from: RobClock;1544420um... source?

That's like buying a Twinkie factory to produce a single Twinkie because you feel like having a snack. I could be wrong, but that sounds like overkill.

The Spoiler

Quote from: AirPumpClock;1544434That's like buying a Twinkie factory to produce a single Twinkie because you feel like having a snack. I could be wrong, but that sounds like overkill.
That sounds fairly accurate. I doubt you plan on using facial animation or motion blur in near future.
After a quick look a found a huge list of game engines. I'm a bit too busy right now to look through it all but you can read it at http://gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Engines.

TremcladClock

AirPumpClock

Quote from: TremcladClock;1544468Go with Source.

Here's the big question: can you do 2D (or even pseudo-2D with flat polygons) in Source? I'm not exactly bent on making my first game an FPS. I was going more for a platformer.

I also tried installing ClanLib, but I think I just blew a hole in the front of my brain and gave up.

TremcladClock

Quote from: AirPumpClock;1544956Here's the big question: can you do 2D (or even pseudo-2D with flat polygons) in Source? I'm not exactly bent on making my first game an FPS. I was going more for a platformer.

I also tried installing ClanLib, but I think I just blew a hole in the front of my brain and gave up.

You can do anything with source. A 2D game would use sprites instead of 3D polygons. 2D sprites are seen throughout every source game, in the form of particle effects, fonts, overlays, etc.

AirPumpClock

Quote from: TremcladClock;1544967You can do anything with source. A 2D game would use sprites instead of 3D polygons. 2D sprites are seen throughout every source game, in the form of particle effects, fonts, overlays, etc.

That sounds like a good deal then. I'll go ahead and look into using Source.

Fireman

imo it just sounds a bit over the top using source.
is it that hard to make your own simple game engine?