News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Visual Arts vs Graphic Design

Farted by BlitzballClock, September 14, 2009, 09:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlitzballClock

Hey guys! I don't know if this is the right forum to post this really, please move it or remove the thread if it's just too fucking bad.

See I just entered university for a degree of Bachelor of Social Science with a major in Informatics, whatever the fuck that means. I'm doing a cource called digital graphics (cool, EH?) at the moment and honestly I'm fucking stuck at this assignment I have. I have to write this 1000 word minimum (which is very little, I know) essay about the factual differences between visual arts and graphic design. So I thought you guys are the guys to ask for some tips since I know some of you really know your shit.

Anyways, the only sentence that I was provided with for my essay are:
"Visual art vs graphical design: comparison of similarities and differences"

Thanks

tl;dr: Don't bother then
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Topcatyo

Take a visual arts picture and a graphic design picture and hand them in and say "Bitch, I just doubled your word minimum."

WiiClock

Quote from: Topcatyo;1666456Take a visual arts picture and a graphic design picture and hand them in and say "Bitch, I just doubled your word minimum."

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH shit
HELLO EVERYONE.

BlitzballClock

Quote from: Topcatyo;1666456Take a visual arts picture and a graphic design picture and hand them in and say "Bitch, I just doubled your word minimum."

I'd do that if I was still in high school. I seriously would!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Topcatyo

Quote from: Blitzball;1666465I'd do that if I was still in high school. I seriously would!
You should totally do it because you're in college.

BlitzballClock

Quote from: Topcatyo;1666469You should totally do it because you're in college.

One "F" (We don't use that system here) and I'm kicked out :rockin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SpinningCubeClock

Visual Arts takes skill and USUALLY traditional art techniques such as painting and drawing. Graphic Design is usually done using modern technology (computers and shit) and is generally made for the sole purpose of making money and selling out.

Also hi.
hello

Fireman

Quote from: SpinningCubeClock;1666650Visual Arts takes skill and USUALLY traditional art techniques such as painting and drawing. Graphic Design is usually done using modern technology (computers and shit) and is generally made for the sole purpose of making money and selling out.

Also hi.

Although what you have said is kind of true I think I might post what it is meant to be.

Visual Arts are generally based upon the techniques and the end product. Pieces can be more expressive or require more technical skill.
Graphic Design is more based upon the concepts of design. Graphic Design is focusing on making an icon or an image that represents an idea or theme.

In reality it doesn't really matter the tools you use to create them, it is focused on the purpose of the image.
The main issue with what SpinningCube appears to be getting at is that Graphic design is commonly associated with computers so you basically get a bunch of people who know how to use Photoshop and Illustrator attempting to enter an art field.
I think that makes sense.
Go look it up on the internet or read a few books on the matter, you are in college so you should be able to get those resources.
EDIT: forgot to say this butttttttt from what I've seen Visual Art is generally done for personal reasons and Graphic Design is a much more commercial field.

ps sup

SpinningCubeClock

fireman, you pretty much said what I WANTED to say lol.
hello

Fireman

AmberArachnidClock

Graphic design is about the arrangement of shapes and colors to interest and please the viewer, visual arts is about the arrangement of shapes and colors to send a message.

Just my personal philosophy, I don't know if it's actually true or not.

BlitzballClock

Quote from: Satellite;1666789Graphic design is about the arrangement of shapes and colors to interest and please the viewer, visual arts is about the arrangement of shapes and colors to send a message.

Just my personal philosophy, I don't know if it's actually true or not.

Still, it's a nice way to say it, in my opinion.

And thanks you others!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DigitalLemonClock

i could give you my personal intepertation of those concepts but honestly if its for school i recommend you ask your teacher for his recommendations on reference material, because both words are kind of vague and their meanings tend to change over time and vary depending on who you ask

theres a good chance you'll end up writing your assignment following one school of thought while your teacher was expecting you to learn another
BAN EVERYBODY

Loki Clock

Both are inadequate and vacant terms, especially in the hands of an institution.

Sinister Clock

A rule of thumb: Graphic Design is to make it's viewers feel what the artist wants them to and Visual Arts is just the artist expressing what they feel because they are a big gay baby.