News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

CRAZY CHARACTERS! Who's In Your Novel?

Farted by SnakeClock, October 25, 2009, 12:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnakeClock

To have a plot, you need characters. But the characters can't just be the things that are doing the plot, they need to stand out as their own creations. Who are the people that are going to be populating your wild bit of hedonistic fiction?

Me, I actually only have the idea for my protagonist. She's a Gypsy woman named Luminitsa Faa. As you may have read in the Plots thread, she can shoot various kinds of light out of her body. The light doesn't do anything, so she does the most obvious thing with something useless but pretty: goes into show business. She has many different stage personas for her various acts, from the bombastic stadium shows as the Pyrotechnic Sorceress to the more intimate burlesque of Candela, Mistress of the Light. It's good money, but she ultimately doesn't enjoy herself. All these different personalities she adopts gives her a strong crisis of identity, and she often resents her abilities and how useless they really are.

Ultimately, though, she remains optimistic about life in general, and tries to make the best of things. Though she sees a lot in show business, her world experience is surprisingly stunted, so when she's sent on her mission or what have you that involve her useless powers, she'll have to do a lot that she's never done before.

I'm not sure who the other characters may be, given that Lumi is usually accosted by strangers about vague threats related to her mission, but given that people that don't know her seem to know about it, I imagine it runs pretty deep, so there must be a lot of interesting people involved with it. Hopefully they'll tell me who they are soon enough.

So who are your characters? What are they like, what do they do, and how do they do it?

PirateClock

You know if you sticky every thread it kinda defeats the purpose.
_pirate_butchcavities (20:29:15): FUCK CLOCKS _pirate_

SnakeClock

Quote from: ☠PirateClock☠;1684246You know if you sticky every thread it kinda defeats the purpose.

It's mainly so that other people don't make their own redundant threads on this topic.

Wind-up Clock

A Colonial marine sergeant that is a master of scrounging and duct tape use. He's cool in the face of fire and often returns with some of his own.

A seven-foot-tall armored super soldier that drunks tea and has a beard so sharp he can use it as a sword, who likes to make jokes about obscure things.

a washed up mechanic with an addiction to small packets of pepper, who handles the ship maintenance as well as driving and extraction. Calm when he has his pepper, jittery when he's not.

A pretty-boy medic who likes to hit on everyone, but is exceedingly quick on his feet and can think his way out of almost any situation.

a magical girl with a shotgun-style staff who thinks a "negotiation" consists of shooting people in the face, is impatient and prefers the point-a-shoot-everything-in-the-way-to-point-b. Sweet as sugar but with a hair trigger as well.

a proto-marty stu who got dragged along on the trip after a botched muse extraction. Supposed to be a perfect character, his perfection falls apart after he's introduced to something called alternate character development.

They cruise the universes of books, movies, and fan fictions, and try to counter the formation of Mary Sues and Marty stus. Their strategy? develop them to the point where they have weaknesses.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SnakeClock

Quote from: Wind-up Clock;1684323They cruise the universes of books, movies, and fan fictions, and try to counter the formation of Mary Sues and Marty stus. Their strategy? develop them t othe point where they have weaknesses.

I am absolutely in love with this premise.

SnakeClock

I'm a bit alarmed; I've actually just thought of my entire supporting cast. I'm pretty freaked out.

They all have an ability that's derived from some element of illusional magic. One is a guy that can produce smoke and mirrors... literally. He can make any surface reflective and distort the air so that it looks reflective, and can also produce large quantities of smoke. He's a pretty brash and devil-may-care guy, and he's the one that first lets Lumi onto what she needs to do.

The second is a girl named Pepper, and she's followed around by this ghost-like apparition that looks like her (get it?). This isn't actually a ghost, though; it's a part of Pepper's personality that is floating outside of her. It periodically changes; sometimes it might be her sense of adventure, or her habit to nag, or her interest in Star Trek. Pepper finds it convenient that she can take out a bit of her personality for certain things she needs to do, but the ghost can be quite grating.

Another guy is The Hat, who has kind of a serious, brittle disposition about himself. He's always wearing this slick top hat wherever he goes, no matter how ridiculous it might look. This is because he can pull absolutely ANYTHING out of his hat, so it's an essential accessory for him. Unfortunately, he needs to be practical about it, because what he needs to get needs to be able to fit in the hat, and he can't be carrying too many things on him at once.

Topcatyo

A water bottle.  He eventually becomes a fireman.

SnakeClock

Quote from: Topcatyo;1684374A water bottle.  He eventually becomes a fireman.

What's his personality like? Or is that mostly regulated to the supporting players?

Topcatyo

Quote from: SnakeClock;1684385What's his personality like? Or is that mostly regulated to the supporting players?
Mostly relegated to the supporting cast.
It's interesting because the narrator is actually a character.  Not within the story, he's just a character.  He's a British gentleman with a rather large vocabulary and is prone to tangents about his past and how he's gone to prison.

TapedeckClock

an octopus who destroys everything.
and some Pomeranians.
WWWWWWWWWW

Faygo

Dr. Nameless Zombie #1: A girl zombie in which the faithful Bravo team hopes to contain and get the strand of the alien virus out of.

Xyero: A war vetaran who suffered multiple injuries and is now a cyborg. Leader of Zulu team.

Dustin: A very spontanious person, Dustin loves to shoot things that move. He's Xyero's right hand man and 17. He hopes to be able to smoke soon.

Kaitlin: A mysterious girl, she wants peace, happiness, and tacos. She's 15.

Carmelina: Everyone's best friend, except Xala. The nerd.

Danni: A tiger rescued from a zoo after almost 100 zombies attacked her and tried to eat her. She sports a handy launguage translator.

Xala: A nerd, Xala is a heavy weapons expert from the civil war of 2052.