News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

A few monsters I drew.

Farted by MagicalJamie, November 10, 2009, 11:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalJamie

Hey guys, I did these for the GRIM art collab on newgrounds. What do you think?

Kaijuclock

screwdriver_clock

I like it, but for your coloring style you have the expressions seem a bit... cartoony. If you're going for those kinda faces and stuff I think a different coloring style, one thats simpler would suit it more.

Just my two cents. And we all know how deflated the US dollar is, let alone the penny!! Or hor hor hor hor

PoisonshroomClock

I don't really like them. Not sure exactly why. Sorry, I know that isn't really constructive haha. I do like the shading though.

AbsintheClock

You have a somewhat decent sense of lighting but your proportions are way off. On the second one you've got missing fingers. Kinda has a lobster hand going on.

FileCabinetClock

This looks like a 2007 era TremcladClock drawing
the man, the legend

Loki Clock

Nice shading style. Not unique, but still nice. You're weak on form, though. Practice anatomy a lot. With and without shading - only doing one doesn't pay off as much in my opinion. Same with cartoonized, abstract, disembodied, or disjoined things.

Sinister Clock

Was gonna say practice anatomy like fuck but it's been said. You should practice anatomy like fuck though.

I don't really like your shading style either, the lighting's spot on but the actual shading style itself is a bit gay by me. Dunno if other people think the same.

I have two pieces of generic advice for you as an artist in general, generally. One, don't get hooked on positive feedback, you may get quite a few dudes saying "woah that's totally cool dude!", it's important to have something to motive you but don't let it stop you from improving and don't ignore criticism. Second, don't ever listen to Loki, ever.

AbsintheClock

I second not listening to Loki. He just talks out of his ass.

MagicalJamie

Nah it's all good guys. I do enjoy getting constructive feedvedback rather than just praise (which is nice too.) How else do you improve?

Always practicing, I think I shade better on a sketchbook since it's easier, digital i just guess the lighting and scribble different shades :)

Cheeers

Loki Clock

Quote from: AbsintheClock;1691170I second not listening to Loki. He just talks out of his ass.

I was relating conclusions made from personal experience. Maybe there's just a disconnect here between what y'all conclude and what I conclude, but that doesn't mean I'm just talking out of my ass.

CeleriacClock

Thunderbolt

Quote from: ᛚᚮᚴᛁ᛫ᚴᛚᚢᚴᚴᛆ;1691267I was relating conclusions made from personal experience. Maybe there's just a disconnect here between what y'all conclude and what I conclude, but that doesn't mean I'm just talking out of my ass.

you mostly are

Quote from: ᛚᚮᚴᛁ᛫ᚴᛚᚢᚴᚴᛆ;1684685No, it made them blurry and gross, like that god-awful one on all daylight gameplay in Ico and Twilight Princess.

Quote from: ᛚᚮᚴᛁ᛫ᚴᛚᚢᚴᚴᛆ;1673796Quite laggy, but that's what you're working with when you do SFX widgets like that. It would be cooler if you programmed a motion blur algorithm to replace the Gaussian blur.

Quote from: ᛚᚮᚴᛁ᛫ᚴᛚᚢᚴᚴᛆ;1673564It's not the glasses so much as the eyes. I would get a ruler and make some anatomy/perspective notes over this, then trace it for a second draft.

but this was true

Quote from: ᛚᚮᚴᛁ᛫ᚴᛚᚢᚴᚴᛆ;1677718Pineapple spines are more like square pyramids cupped in flower petals. Try showing more of the depth of the thing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Pineapple1.JPG

Loki Clock

Quote from: syzygy;1691966you mostly are

I don't see how. For the first one, I hate stuff that looks like that. It destroys all the hard edges. The the second, what's wrong with programming your own filters? I program my music, and when I get around to it I'll do some procedural art that I actually wrote the program for, instead of just using Aviary's Peacock. For the third, I really don't know. The eyes are all lopsided in that drawing. I can see it, plain as day.

Thunderbolt

never mind, I meen the most critic you give is just what looks better in your opinion and not in improving the drawing

Loki Clock

Quote from: syzygy;1696109never mind, I meen the most critic you give is just what looks better in your opinion and not in improving the drawing

Taste has a place in criticism. I'm giving you my honest artistic point of view. Just giving technical criticism does nothing. Deviant Art would be even more terrible if all of their artists were technically adept. You have to give an honest opinion, too. No one has to listen to that opinion, but telling someone not to listen to certain criticism is an insult to that artist's ability to judge for themselves whether they agree with someone and how they believe they should treat criticism, and also a disrespect to the artist who you're belittling the views of. An artist without a philosophy is just a technician. So don't disrespect someone's philosophy in an artists' forum.

Thunderbolt

you have good and bad taste

K3LTR0N

DEFORMED SMURFS IN A COOL WAY

Silly Putty Clock

Quote from: K3LTR0N;1696762DEFORMED SMURFS IN A COOL WAY

lol
8=======D~~~~>_<~~~~C=======8

Companion Cube Clock

Swell stuff mack, keep it up.
[flash]http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/091107/72583_companionsig.swf width=450 height=200[/flash]
As of Monday, October 29, 2007 6:42 PM pacific time, I Vox, have
been given the name Companion Cube Clock by OvenmittClock.