News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

HOMESTUCK DISCUSSION THREAD

Farted by Thor, May 20, 2010, 06:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Every bit of that flash involving John and Caliborn was hilarious. My opinion on the rest of it is as follows:

PolyhedronClock

christ, i forgot how large this thread was. updates are rolling out regularly again.

AnkhClock

Slash

BTW, Homestuck has once again resumed.
In case some of you are still interested and didn't know yet.

Slurpee

man I might actually not care haha weird

AnkhClock

Quote from: Slurpee on April 06, 2016, 07:34:22 PM
man I might actually not care haha weird

Yeah I've bitched endlessly about this on another forum but basically Hussie screwed up a lot with Act 6 being so long without a lot of plot progression, wiping a good chunk of it away anyway with the Ret-John, and getting tied up with 500 hiatuses along the way.

I mean the Hiatuses are almost defensible considering Hussie had to keep starting and stopping work on the game after the Odd Gentlemen stole all his money, but they simply killed the momentum of an already sputtering comic.

The flash was cool to watch though. I hope Vriska wins.

AnkhClock

I... think Homestuck is over.

Nothing was resolved in the slightest, but it was anime in the end, and I appreciate that.

AnkhClock

IDK how to spoiler on this forum so don't read my post until after you've seen the Homestuck Ending, if you still care about Homestuck.

AnkhClock

Like it's not even an cool Evangelion-type open ending. It's like you set up the DVR wrong and it didn't record the last fifteen minutes of your show.

RobClock

should i read homestuck y/n

also how many years of my life will it take to read it from beginning to end

Slash

Quote from: AnkhClock on April 13, 2016, 02:48:26 AM
Like it's not even an cool Evangelion-type open ending. It's like you set up the DVR wrong and it didn't record the last fifteen minutes of your show.
Pretty much, I'll be expecting an epilogue

AnkhClock

Quote from: RobClock on April 13, 2016, 09:16:23 AM

No and seven respectively

Slurpee

wanna go back to Act 4 when everything was new and exciting and full of potential and riveting puzzles and updates were any time of any day

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I just caught up and I gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed. what a cop-out. even with all the spectacle in the second flash. the first flash was really boring to watch for the most part, just a bunch of mostly bad fanart tweened around and long pointless fights that all felt like someone else trying to imitate Dave: Accelerate, and not really getting it right. Most of Collide just felt aesthetically off somehow, like most of his flashes have since he started using fanart. some of it really does work but over half of it doesn't.

Nothing was even resolved either, they didn't even beat lord english or explain what the treasure they were gonna defeat him with was. I felt absolutely nothing when the condesce died, "oh, roxy stabbed her, thats over I guess". it wasn't even cool. I think out of all of this the only parts I liked were the dad bits.  seeing him sort-of reunite with john was the only bit of emotion I felt during both flashes. finally seeing the new world wasn't exciting either, it didn't feel like the story earned it yet. it just sort of happened. It reminded me of how knights of sidonia ended, except even less satisfying. It was practically the same ending minus the bad guy actually being defeated on screen.  I don't think I'll be looking into either Nihei or Hussie's next works.

Quote from: Slurpee on April 13, 2016, 11:35:52 PM
wanna go back to Act 4 when everything was new and exciting and full of potential and riveting puzzles and updates were any time of any day

the first four acts were god damn magical. I felt that way about hivebent and part of A5A2 as well.

Quote from: AnkhClock on April 06, 2016, 09:08:33 PMYeah I've bitched endlessly about this on another forum but basically Hussie screwed up a lot with Act 6 being so long without a lot of plot progression, wiping a good chunk of it away anyway with the Ret-John, and getting tied up with 500 hiatuses along the way.

I mean the Hiatuses are almost defensible considering Hussie had to keep starting and stopping work on the game after the Odd Gentlemen stole all his money, but they simply killed the momentum of an already sputtering comic.

The flash was cool to watch though. I hope Vriska wins.
lol i didn't hear about hussie getting robbed. I haven't followed the game at all. the first trailer didn't pique my interest. what happened?  and yeah act 6 was a mess looking back at it. so little actually happened, and so little was revealed about their universe. it should have only been as long as act 4.

zl

I sort of fell out of Homestuck uh...quite a few years ago. I really love Andrew's writing, art, and animation..It's sad to hear the conclusion was a disappointment. I guess I won't be catching up on the story anytime soon.

RobClock

Quote from: AnkhClock on April 13, 2016, 02:12:26 PM
Quote from: RobClock on April 13, 2016, 09:16:23 AM

No and seven respectively

Alright, just checking.

AnkhClock

Quote from: FloundermanClock on April 14, 2016, 06:39:14 AM
lol i didn't hear about hussie getting robbed. I haven't followed the game at all. the first trailer didn't pique my interest. what happened?  and yeah act 6 was a mess looking back at it. so little actually happened, and so little was revealed about their universe. it should have only been as long as act 4.

Yeah here's the story long since deleted from Tumblr: http://pastebin.com/e1YQQzMN

QuoteOriginal Post (now deleted?): http://ipgd.tumblr.com/post/123230861032/im-sure-that-everyone-has-noticed-by-now-that-the

i’m sure that everyone has noticed by now that the homestuck game is very, very late. boy, do i have a fun reason why!

you may remember that what pumpkin announced that the game studio “the odd gentlemen” was originally attached to develop the game, and you may also remember that they quietly moved to in house development in 2014. what they didn’t tell you: the reason they did this was that odd gentlemen stole kickstarter money and spent it on king’s quest.

i imagine most of us who backed the homestuck game kickstarter are pretty curious about what was going on there. i’ve done some work on the comic and talk to andrew from time to time, so i tried asking about what happened and got some very cagey non-responses. eventually, he tells me he actually can’t tell me anywhere but through kickstarter because of a settlement he signed (already fishy). so, i sent in an inquiry through KS and what i got was a big steaming load of bullshit worse than anything i could have imagined. i’m talking multiple counts of embezzlement and fraud.

according to the timeline in the doc i got, WP gave 788k to TOG in 2012 to develop hiveswap. they then proceeded to do next to nothing, completely blowing off the dev schedule that they agreed to. (the game was supposed to be done by oct 2014. instead, that was when WP ended up having to switch to in house development and start from scratch.) the doc included a detailed rundown of everything TOG actually did. in summary:

“Over 8 months of development, TOG produced exactly one “playable build”. It is a single room, involving one character, no animation, and almost no other key features. Virtually nothing works properly. It was submitted in February of 2014, and no improvements or additional versions were submitted beyond that date.”

a link to it was included in the doc. it’s… probably the worst thing i’ve ever seen in my life?? if you try to click on ANYTHING, joey runs into a bookcase and flies into the air and the demo gets stuck. the only thing that distinguishes it from an out-of-the-box adventure creator demo is its very subpar models and the fact it is unplayably bugged.

at some point TOG apparently just completely gave up working on hiveswap, because they were tapped to develop king’s quest (you can see them admit this in public here at about 1 minute into this video). however, instead of dropping out of developing the game, they decided to just… not tell WP, and proceeded to spend the money they were given on KQ’s development instead.

eventually, after months of platitudes and refusals to communicate (at one point andrew even moved across the country to be able to visit TOG’s offices and get the ball rolling on development, but they wouldn’t even let him come in), WP realized that they’d have to drop TOG, so they terminated the contract in late 2014.

at that stage, TOG said they had 390,000 dollars left of the money WP gave them that they hadn’t spent on “development” or taxes. but, get this â€" in the 7 months it took them to agree on a settlement for returning the money, they spent 170,000 of it on king’s quest. seriously. like, they didn’t even try to hide it â€" they straight up spent it after they’d already officially stopped working on the game, and were just like, haha, whoops? pay you back later i guess.

this isn’t acknowledged in a binding settlement like the king’s quest embezzlement is, but i’m pretty sure most of the 190k they claim they spent on hiveswap’s development before they picked up KQ went into neil gaiman’s wayward manor. they picked THAT up at around the time they were supposed to start working on hiveswap, and admitted the workload was conflicting with their ability to devote time to hiveswap. given the egregiously overstated man hours claimed for how little work they actually did, and the fact they admittedly stole the money for another game, i think it’s a pretty obvious conclusion to reach.

it doesn’t look like there was ever a point where TOG wasn’t funneling homestuck’s KS money into another game. it’s unclear whether they EVER actually intended to seriously develop the game. they straight up signed up to steal money from us.

andrew mentioned that this was one of the biggest reasons for the gigapause, and that all the logistics of dealing with TOG’s incompetence meant he couldn’t get much work done on the comic in that time.

why am i posting this? well, king’s quest was developed with stolen money, so it’s probably in your best interest to know this before you buy it. all things considered, it’s a miracle that hiveswap is doing as well as it is â€" at this point, i think hiveswap has moved past this fiasco and isn’t in any danger of falling through. it’s uh, pretty late, but from what i’ve seen, they’re well on their way to an Actual Game that may be Actually Good despite getting jerked around by a circus of incompetent clowns for 8 months.

at this point, i’m not sure what to DO about this. what pumpkin is bound by the settlement they had to sign if they wanted to get any of the money back at all, so there’s not much that they themselves can do to retrieve the money TOG stole from us. i actually tried messaging sierra, the company that licensed KQ to TOG, but they don’t seem to care that KQ was made with stolen money. maybe activision might want to know. in any case, it’s important that this info get out there so people know what they’re dealing with when buying something from the odd gentlemen.

BilliardBall10

wow, those guys from ''the odd gentlemen'' group are d*cks.
they should be sued. (and the court should confiscate some of their personal items/properties, in order to make reparations for the losses of andrew/hussie/(the KS funds)/the unfair redistribution of supporters funds to a third-party gaming company.
(this could easily be considered ''corporate sabotage/failure of contract/fraud'' in any court. thats one of the many ways on how the TOG should be dealt with.... bastards.)

as for the homestuck comic, i'll pass.

k -i raise dragons. here we go -click HERE- i mean click the eggs -and the dragons, until they become  adults.