News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Your thoughts on Clockification

Farted by PineappleClock, August 22, 2011, 02:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cast

Quote from: PineappleClock;1842932well, there seems to be some sentiment for abolishing clockification - one thing however, how would we determine who gets to vote in elections? We cant have everyone that just joins the site participating in elections, otherwise it will be chaos, right?

I'm all good with abolishing Clockification.

The Clockcrew is for everyone - even people who don't visit this site or take on a Clock persona. Renaenae is a perfect example of the type of person I'm talking about. Shes hardly associated with the Clockcrew aside from many of her Flash submissions over on Newgrounds, each of which is truly a wonderful gift and work of art I will add.. I'd say as long as you have the spirit to spread this silly marvel known as the Clockcrew about the world, and this interest has influenced any individual to contribute to the story of the Clockcrew, they're a Clock - and they might not even realize it.

What if things are the other way around? What if the Clockcrew was the spark of new found creativity or passion? We know it literally changed Jane's life. As unlikely as the Clockcrew is it was just meant to be so - it wouldn't be fair to continue saying who can or cannot be a member when it's very genesis was mere chance. THATS JUST LIKE LIFE. WE HAVE FIGURED OUT HE MEANING OF LIFE IT'S THE FUCKING CLOCKCREW AND STRAWBERRYCLOCK.

As far as elections go, personally I'd say stop taking all of this so seriously and just appoint some level headed and fair staff, but just have them here to clean up obvious trouble makers messes and handle member inquires. But in direct response to who can vote in elections perhaps everyone who joined before 2005? I guess those individuals can be considered seniority. If you think about it, seniority makes the most sense. They helped pave the way for future generations much like Tom paved the way for us to get to this point along with the original three and blah blah we all know the story. BYE

AC Slater

I want to bring it back and have it run like it was back in the day. Only official clocks (or maybe even only staff) can vote in new clocks.

cast

Yep. Running a community like this isn't an easy thing to do. Clockradio is probably one of my favorite people I've ever met online. Probably best to just merge everyone as members - and still have a grace period for newcomers.

Sinister Clock

The clockification thing would probably be fine as a automatic thing after six months or so, with a fast track option for people who contribute and get voted, lets say they can make a new thread with a poll every few weeks or something. But we need to either get rid of clockification or the week waiting thing, as we have way too many barriers up preventing potential awesome dudes or dudettes joining up because seriously fuck waiting a week to post on a forum. You just forget about it, even if you have a keen interest in animation.

HeinekenClock

Maybe the Green Door could be realised by a list of official clocks that simply have green door privileges. They and those who aren't allowed in would both have Official Clock status, but maybe those with access would have a Green Door award for something trivial to distinguish them from those without access.

This way there'd be no elitism towards those without access because the user titles are the same, we could have a Green Door without a clockification process and at the same time avoid some nosy Newgroundite signing up and gaining access automatically after a while.

addendum

CorpseGrinder's idea of having a list of things everybody should know available is a great idea but it poses some problems:

a) If the answers are to be filled in manually, someone would have to check and grade their application.
b) If the answers are multiple choice the test could be cheated in a couple of tries, assuming the website tells the new members which answers they got wrong.
c) If the website doesn't tell the new members which answers they got wrong, it'll be next to impossible to pass the test.

Here's my idea for a clockification system (which does not involve new ideas for the signing up process :()

When a new member signs up they are given an account with access to all forums save for the administrative ones and hypothetical green door.
When they go to their profile page there is a checklist of things they have to do, like such:

x) Vote (rate fairly!!1) on StrawberryClock's "B" at least fifteen times.
x) Post in at least 10 different forums.
x) Have at least two flash movies on your Newgrounds account.
x) Prove your economic smarts by saving at least 100cc's
x) You must buy a peggey and you must pet it.

This means the portalgrapher would have to work, and the clock credit related options could be built in once the system is ready. They should be a mix of things that 1. take time but not more than several months 2. require at least a little effort and most importantly a lot of 3. are fun to do (like saving up credits, buying a peggey from the store, buy a username with at least five capital B's in them).

I'm sorry, this seems like it would be an absolute shitload of work to implement. But when the forums had a lot of different things to do, like the arcade and working towards clockication, this place was more active. I don't know if one is the result of the other or the other way around though.

SchoolClock

If I could +1 the below, I would.

Quote from: HeinekenClock;1846701Here's my idea for a clockification system (which does not involve new ideas for the signing up process :()

When a new member signs up they are given an account with access to all forums save for the administrative ones and hypothetical green door.
When they go to their profile page there is a checklist of things they have to do, like such:

x) Vote (rate fairly!!1) on StrawberryClock's "B" at least fifteen times.
x) Post in at least 10 different forums.
x) Have at least two flash movies on your Newgrounds account.
x) Prove your economic smarts by saving at least 100cc's
x) You must buy a peggey and you must pet it.

This means the portalgrapher would have to work, and the clock credit related options could be built in once the system is ready. They should be a mix of things that 1. take time but not more than several months 2. require at least a little effort and most importantly a lot of 3. are fun to do (like saving up credits, buying a peggey from the store, buy a username with at least five capital B's in them).

I'm sorry, this seems like it would be an absolute shitload of work to implement. But when the forums had a lot of different things to do, like the arcade and working towards clockication, this place was more active. I don't know if one is the result of the other or the other way around though.

VCRClock

Quote from: HeinekenClock;1846701x) Post in at least 10 different forums.

I am not a person with a lot of opinions about Clockification, but I just want to point out that this is a really bad idea for a requirement because it encourages shitposting.
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

Sinister Clock

And also the different forums are for different people with different tastes.

Personally I think you should be clockified as soon as you paypal me $20

HeinekenClock

Quote from: VCRClock;1846749I am not a person with a lot of opinions about Clockification, but I just want to point out that this is a really bad idea for a requirement because it encourages shitposting.

Actually that's why I said 10 and not all of them. Basically it's meant to encourage to post at least a couple times outside of general. Edit - Although 10 indeed seems a bit high.

Topcatyo

A lot of forums use a karma system of sorts. You can rate posts as good or bad and that increases/decreases the user's karma.  We could implement that and have there be, I dunno, reasons to have a good score on that if we were to end up implementing that.

Instead of the "Post in 10 subforums" have it be "Have a karma rating of 'Moderately average but still sorta alright boy'."

Sinister Clock

Karma systems on every forum are objectively awful.

No.

PineappleClock

The consensus is that clockifcation be abolished, this is added in the new charter - creating anything else to take its place should be discussed seperately (like the merit system or some sort of karma system), or suggested in the suggestions forum.

i'll leave this thread open if anyone else wants to comment

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: Sinister Clock;1847103Karma systems on every forum are objectively awful.

No.
If a karma system is put into place I promise as supermod to use the mod cp to abuse it.

Asshatclock

Make a seperate usergroup called Dutchclocks, in order to become one you need to come to holland and suck my dick.
While in the dutchclock group you gain all sorts of priviledges such as beeing loved by corpsegrinder and post in the Frikandel speciaal forum that nobody else can see.

SpongeClock SquarePants

Quote from: Asshatclock;1847275Make a seperate usergroup called Dutchclocks, in order to become one you need to come to holland and suck my dick.
While in the dutchclock group you gain all sorts of priviledges such as beeing loved by corpsegrinder and post in the Frikandel speciaal forum that nobody else can see.

Frikandel speciaal forum !!!!!111

SpongeClock SquarePants

Asshatclock

Quote from: SpongeClock SquarePants;1847279Bring back CC's

BUY CLOCKIFICATION

I like this idea, buy your clockhood.

AnkhClock

You can only become an Official Clock if you can pass an impossibly difficult reading comprehension test. You are exempt from this test, however, if your grandfather was a Clock.

Kodiakclock

I say we vote on everything, and I mean everything. But I was one of the people who a few years ago helped get the ball rolling in removing the clockification system. It didn't destroy the crew and there isnt really a shit load of people joining the forum. the only thing that was good about it was the green door, which could be useful on some occasions because I know I was going for TOTW on clocktopia and some NG faggot must have told tom because It got deleted soon after.
Quote from: YoYoClock;1903849
KodiakClock - Super Butt

AlbinoClock

Clockification was good when we needed a firewall, but we need whatever the opposite of a firewall is at the moment if anything.