News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Rule Revamp for September 23rd 2011

Farted by AbsintheClock, September 23, 2011, 09:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbsintheClock

Will formally modify Rule #6 to read:
"
6. Do not steal people's names

If you are caught pretending to be someone you are not, you will be banned.

If, at your time of joining, it is made clear that the clock name you wish to use has already been claimed by another user, active or not, you must come up with another one, or you will be banned.

Adverse possession: An exception can be made on your behalf IF AND ONLY IF (1) No objections to your claiming the name have been made over a period no shorter than 9 months following your first claim to the name on the Clock Crew forums AND (2) You've made regular claim to it during the entire span of time between claiming it and the present AND (3) You've contributed in some memorable way to the community, preferably Flash animation AND (4) The previous owner had not contributed any Flash that passed judgement on Newgrounds.com or played a significant role in any crew-related events AND (5) Your claim to the name is sincere and unique. If you feel your case meets ALL of these qualifications, contact an administrator and request that they put it to a community vote. If you pass with a simple majority, the name will be passed on to you. Exceptions are extraordinarily rare. It is highly recommended that you instead simply invent a unique name and lay claim to it."

Topcatyo

VuBawlsClock

Fuck anonfrog

AbsintheClock

No, but he really is fucking up lately.

AlbinoClock

Considering that he knew the name was taken at the time he took it, shouldn't he? I could see if it was an innocent mistake, but it's not.

pop-tart

This is a revised policy thread. Reigniting the debate over an individual is not appropriate let alone necessary in this forum.

Also, butts.

RobClock

Quote from: AbsintheClock;1857897(1) No objections to your claiming the name have been made over a period no shorter than 9 months following your first claim to the name on the Clock Crew forums

I was gonna see if I could somehow get the name 'Iceblock' back for sentimental reasons, but since the entirety of my first 2 years consisted of people telling me to change it, It does not seem like that's going to happen.

AlbinoClock

Are the claims reviewed publicly or privately? Is dishonesty considered synonymous with or antithetical to a sincere claim?

Quote from: pop-tart clock;1858721This is a revised policy thread. Reigniting the debate over an individual is not appropriate let alone necessary in this forum.

And you think you're who now?

AlbinoClock

Quote from: RibsClock;1858737I swear if we're going to be looking into the semantic definition of "sincere" in this regard we are way way overthinking it

So then lying isn't sincerity and I should be really surprised if "Blob", upon application, is allowed to keep the name?

AlbinoClock

Quote from: RibsClock;1858755I refuse to take the blob situation as a serious concern at all.

Then you might as well delete this thread, rule 6, and all the other rules.

Slurpee

Sincere just means preceding from genuine feelings. It means the person under question is not trying to claim the name for the sake of irony or rhetoric, but because he actually feels he has a right to it. The "sincere and unique" requirement is just there to prevent the purely hypothetical scenario of somebody claiming a name for the purposes of poking a hole in the system, or making a point about somebody else's claim to a name.

Whether somebody's dishonest about whether or not they knew the name was taken is not made relevant by these additions. The reason for this is, to be perfectly honest, to give people leeway to take names they knew were already taken, because sometimes people claim names and do nothing with them, and, frankly, good names are a commodity and I, as the person that penned this, don't feel we should explicitly omit what at the logical conclusion of things would amount to any clock name that was ever registered on any website anywhere.

The limitations are not to define somebody as having a right to the name, they're there to filter out hopeless cases before the matter is brought to a public vote, which will make the ultimate call. If you feel, for example, that Blob's dishonesty in knowing whether the name was already claimed (as evidenced by his Newgrounds username) is sufficient reason to deny him the name, speak with your vote... should the vote even ultimately arise (last I checked it seemed he wanted to change his name to Diglett).

AlbinoClock

Oh, I didn't see that we'd get to vote on it. Ok then, that's reasonable.

It's much better when someone addresses concerns instead of just being dismissive.  Thanks Slurpee.

AlbinoClock

Quote from: RibsClock;1858772Oy :mad:

I assumed it was a staff vote because of the way you were talking. Anyway, you were still dismissive. That's not the best way to deal with people's concerns.

AlbinoClock

Quote from: RibsClock;1858777You're right I do dismiss the blob outrage as nonsensical, reactionary nonsense.

I don't think that government policy should change every time Fox News goes apeshit about some minor nonsense either. It's a silly issue, and I'll gladly say that. Being dismissive would have been me going "lol yeah sure blob big issue" and not saying anything else about it.

Be mad if you want, I don't care I'm doing what I think is right vote me out if I'm in the wrong.

See that's exactly what I mean. My having a problem with something automatically makes my position equivalent to Fox News going apeshit about something minor, simply because you disagree. That's not the kind of person who should be on the staff, because it's not the kind of person who can compromise or actually have a discussion. That's why you were kicked out of the grid before. If you actually want to be good at your job you're going to have to learn to be a little less arrogant.

AlbinoClock

Quote from: RibsClock;1858779Um no, it's because it's a big silly contrived issue and Fox News goes apeshit over big, silly contrived issues. It's blown out of proportion, no one cared about the blob issue a week ago. It's silly, it doesn't really effect anything or cause any harm, and it's already been given more attention than it deserves.

Hey you can call me names all you want for saying that (apparently) but don't misrepresent my point.

You think it's silly and contrived. I think it's a matter of expecting some small degree of honesty. The point is that because you disagree with me and are positively steeped in confirmation bias you immediately dismiss everything I say in favor of your own opinion, offering no discussion or attempt to understand. That's a problem. That's not the kind of trait we should want in someone who's supposed to be part of a body that makes decisions in the interest of the community.

AnkhClock

I like democracy but I don't like CNN

Thor

woah simmer down guys

You're getting all mad and stuff
Quote from: MafiaMettaurWhat the hell is with that shit you posted? You know what, I'm joining the Locks, just to stop stuff like you!
Quote from: polyhedronclockYou're a fucking clock, what else do you have?
To be fair, you don't have anything. Clocks are just machines that tick.

Slurpee

Quote from: Thor;1858802woah simmer down guys

You're getting all mad and stuff

Thor for admin 2012

AlbinoClock

Ok Corpse keep ignoring what people say and acting like you're being persecuted when really people are just calling you out on acting like a douche.

AnkhClock

You guys are acting like CNN if my last post wasn't clear enough. Just a bunch of heads arguing about bullshit that doesn't matter.