News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

POOPSOUP appreciation thread

Farted by SpongeClock SquarePants, January 26, 2012, 07:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpongeClock SquarePants

{{{{{{{SNERT}}}}}}}}

Inspired by asshat in the food stuffs forum i feel we should make a thread in the general forum so all clocks can bask in the glory of snert.

Remember rule number 1 : Snert taste as good as it looks, and it looks awesome.

What is snert, you might ask?
QuoteErwtensoep, also called "snert", is the Dutch version of pea soup. It is a thick stew of green split peas, different cuts of pork, celeriac or stalk celery (Apium graveolens var. dulce), onions, leeks, carrots, and often potato. Slices of rookworst (Dutch smoked sausage) are added a few minutes before serving. The soup, which is traditionally eaten during the winter, is emblematic of Dutch cuisine.
It is customarily served with rye bread (roggebrood) and bacon, cheese or butter. The bacon is usually 'katenspek'; bacon which has been cooked and then smoked. The pork and sausage from the soup can also be eaten separately on rye bread together with mustard.
So called 'koek en zopie' outlets, small food and drinks stalls which only spring up during winters along frozen canals, ponds and lakes in the Netherlands and cater to ice skaters, usually serve "snert" as a hearty snack.
In Suriname, a former dutch colony, dutch style pea soup is eaten as a street food.
source : wikipedia.

Of course you won't find words like "awesome" and "OMFG this stuff is super delicious and trumps all other soup style foods" but it that was allowed the above article would look way different.

By now you've grasped the basics of understanding what snert is all about. I'll post a sample recipe so you can elevate your cooking to godly (read "dutch") standards. (This is a default recipe, variations are common)

Ingredients for about 3 litres (6 to 12 persons)
500 gram (2 1/2 cup) split peas
1 piece of gammon with bone, or pork hock, about 500 gram (1 pound), or spareribs, or two pig's trotters
100 gram (3 ounces) streaky bacon or Dutch "sauerkraut bacon": streaky pork, salted but not smoked, preferrably with rind
1 smoked sausage
2 large onions, chopped not too small
1 large carrot
2 leeks   
1 celeriac
2 potatoes
1 bunch celery
pepper and salt to taste
2 litre (8 cups/4pints) water to start with
bread or rye bread (pumpernickel), with -if you can get it- slices of "katenspek" (lightly streaked pork, first boiled and then smoked black)

Sounds awesome right, yeah i know. Prepare it like this :

Rinse the split peas in a sieve under the running tap. Split peas don't need soaking in water. Bring water to the boil with the peas, gammon and bacon. Let it boil and skim off the floating scum. Pour all water off, rinse peas (and meat) again and put them back on the fire with clean water.

Meanwhile, prepare the vegatbles:
Cut the skin of the celeriac, peel the potatoes, and dice celeriac and potatoes. Peel the carrot and dice it. Cut the leeks and wash them.

Add the vegetables to the pan and let simmer until the peas are done (one and a half to two hours, the split peas must be broken).

Take the meat out of the pan, remove rind and bones, and cut in small pieces. Return the meat to the pan. Wash the sprigs of celery, and chop or cut the leaves. Twenty minutes before the end of cooking, add the whole smoked sausage and the celery. Taste, finish off with pepper and salt.
The pea soup is still fairly liquid. Let it cool completely and reheat it the next day, or freeze in portions. When you want to freeze the soup, add the smoked sausage when reheating, or divide the sausage in equal quantities over the portions.

Feel free to share your recipes, images and general snert stories in this thread.

Asshatclock

SpongeClock SquarePants

Snertlord in action. whole pigheads for awesome broth/bouillon. + 1000 xp

SpongeClock SquarePants

AstronautClock

oh yea I love that soup. I think its actually my favourite soup

SpongeClock SquarePants

Quote from: AstronautClock;1890997oh yea I love that soup. I think its actually my favourite soup

CerealGuy

Asshatclock

Quote from: CerealGuy;1891010Looks like Indian food.

It looks like snert don't be stupid.

SpongeClock SquarePants

TelephoneClock

That first picture didn't look too appetizing at first, but after reading the ingredients it actually sounds pretty good!

Kodiakclock

How to make snert (english translation)
take bowl
add water
shit in bowl
"enjoy"
Quote from: YoYoClock;1903849
KodiakClock - Super Butt

Asshatclock

Hello clockcrew just came back from eating some snert, sup?

SpongeClock SquarePants

OvenmittClock

Oh man I just took a giant snert. I would give it a few minutes to air out.
AIDS

AMPEEEM

i once took a snert so big i snerted my snert snert

OvenmittClock

someone call papa-snert, snerty-snert has gone snerting snert snert.
AIDS

GreyClock

Snert is okay at best, I prefer oxtail and zondagse soup.

EnglishClock

Moving this thread about witchcraft recipes to the correct forum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SpongeClock SquarePants

I like the irony of you being english and doing stuff to the cooking forum.

Asshatclock

Quote from: GreyClock;1891570Snert is okay at best, I prefer oxtail and zondagse soup.

This is disagree.